Mega launches tomorrow with 50GB free storage, paid tiers detailed

Jos

Staff

Kim Dotcom's new venture Mega is set to go live tomorrow. The cloud storage service will take on the likes of Dropbox, Google Drive and others by offering each user 50GB of free storage alongside three optional paid tiers at €9.99, €19.99 and €29.99 per month for 500GB, 2TB and 4TB respectively. The 500GB package comes with 1TB of bandwidth while the 2TB and 4TB are each allocated 4TB and 8TB.

That's a generous proposition in the world of cloud storage, but on the features front Dotcom admitted they've run out of time to implement everything they wanted before launch -- a list of promised features will have to do.

For now the service is accesible via web browser only. You'll see a Cloud Drive folder where you can drag and drop files, as well as an inbox and a contacts tab that wasn't working during an early peek offered to a handful of press outlets. That's pretty much it for now. The company hasn't revealed what the individual file size upload limit will be on Mega, and still isn't offering a definite answer on whether users of the now-shuttered Megaupload service will get their old files back -- that's up to the court overseeing the case.

Despite launching a simplified version of the service they were aiming for, the company still has ambitious plans for the future and offered a post-launch development roadmap highlighting upcoming enhancements for both developers and users. The list includes desktop and mobile clients for “all major platforms”, an SDK with a fully documented API, collaboration features like user-to-user messaging, encrypted file sharing, and what appears to be a Google Docs competitor with word processing, calendar and spreadsheet apps.

Permalink to story.

Yeah got on yesterday created an account added some files to my upload queue , 12 hours later still sitting in queue marked as pending

No a very encouraging start

50GB is quite intense. Perhaps the uploads are 'pending' because they've already run out of space!

Can get to the site, even registered as required (twice actually), but will it not send the email confirmation to allow access and use, therefore rendering it completely useless. Why do companies do this to us, heck even to themselves? LAME!

Anyone want to bet how long this incarnation of a DotCom website is going to stay up and running? Im betting every police force that has a internet section is just waiting to pounce on this guy. Im wondering if Mr. DotCom continues to do this because he likes negative attention......

Had some of the same problems but went to the site today and was able to login. I expect these problems are caused by millions trying to set up accounts and will go away in a couple of weeks.

This sounds to good to be true..What if he is working for the FEDS and setting up this to catch the rest of Pirates...hmmm

50GB is quite intense. Perhaps the uploads are 'pending' because they've already run out of space!
Maybe they actually need money from paid tiers before they can offer the 50GB free space. What ever the problem may be, my Internet is practically too slow to support on-line storage of any amount.

@ St1ckM4n Yes this online storage take solely depends on how fast the upload speed of your internet connection is...Until upload speeds are higher like almost half of what the download rate is..Then this cloud storage might be worth considering...

@plat
You may be correct in your assumption that DotCom is working with/for the feds. We havent heard much lately about him in the news. Im guessing the govt did something like they did for that lolsec guy. Heres some capitol, go setup a website to catch and track ppl who like to download pirated content. And here is everyone posting about going and registering on the website. I wouldnt go to that website even if you offered me cash.

Yeh coming to think of it.why would I have the same thing running and it's the reason why am in prison.If it were me..only how I would still run it is if the feds cut a deal with me to either shorten my prison sentence or I gotta still run the buisness to pay of depths...He really gotta love setting up online storage for people around the world even in prison..Yeh right.lmao..I ain't uploading a single text file there.I am sure it's being monitored.

Back