Meizu m3 Note Review: A budget smartphone with plenty to like

Scorpus

Staff member

Meizu is one of many Chinese smartphone manufacturers that have seen strong success in their home country, but have struggled to break into Western markets in the highly crowded budget smartphone space. Their devices are known for packing in a great array of hardware at an extremely low price, rivalling well-known Chinese giant Xiaomi in this regard.

The phone I have with me today is the Meizu m3 Note, a 5.5-inch budget device with an attractive price tag of just $170. This places it in direct competition with one of my favorite budget devices, the 3rd-generation Motorola Moto G.

The m3 Note could fall into the trap of offering good hardware but failing to use it properly; it’s a common thread among budget Chinese OEMs. However, with Meizu having produced smartphones since the early days of Android, the company has had years to refine their offerings. The m3 Note in particular is the third device in Meizu’s large screen series, which began in late 2014 with the launch of the original m1 Note.

Read the complete review.

Personally, I'd go for the amazon-subsidized Moto G, which can be ad-free after a little tinkering.. Or the new ZTE model on sale from MetroPCS for $99.

Back