Memory Chip Failure In Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
to add to Divide's, when Vram is overheating, it can show up as green line or blocks. and one or more of the rendered graphic 'layers' can turn an odd color - for example the sky turns purple in games.

video card model?

if you are experiencing any artifacts it is likely the card will need to be replaced. 9/10 times artifacts are caused by faulty vRAM, but check core temps just to be sure. the best way to test for vRAM failure is to install new drivers and/or try a better thermal compound. sometimes artifacting will occur if the card is underpowered though, so perhaps a bit more information on the card and power supply would be helpful.

Mukulika is a friend. The card in question is the nVidia XFX 7600GT. The problem is in reference to this thread: Graphics Card/Display Problem

Wondering whether the symptoms described in that thread correspond to a memory chip failure.

I'd have to say that it sounds like Vram or VRM (voltage regulation), especially since the onboard VGA works ok.
You mentioned that the the sound gets loud after half an hour or so. Is this using the onboard video? The only thing that should be louder is the CPU fan if it's plugged into the motherboard. Anything else would be a cause for concern.
If the card's Vram or VRM is shot then for all intents and purposes you now have a paperweight.
If the card is shot then you can try one last strategy for reviving the card.
Sometimes the cause of the failure is down to a cracked or dry solder joint on the card. If you bake it in the oven you could possibly revive it.

No I'm not joking. The same thing is done in professional reflow facilities-they just use more accurate heat application.

A good example here

Here , and here

If you do this then remember to have very very good ventilation.
If you have access to a heat gun (commonly used in paint stripping) it would likely work just as well, if not better.

Thanks a lot, guys. The pop-your-card-into-the-oven trick seems quite interesting if it can revive the zombie that my nVidia XFX 7600GT is today. Will try it and let you know.

@ Mr. DBZ: I believe my power supply is causing the sound, though I couldn't be sure. It is definitely not the fan. The power supply is an iBall LPE223-400. Yes, it is while I'm using the onboard video, especially when I play a CD or a DVD. And this was happening even when my card was running fine.

If the sound is a high pitched whine then it could be down to a noisy PSU fan (unlubricated bearing or bush), loose loop(s) on a magnetic part (transformer, coil, choke or inductor) or leaking capacitor.
Never heard of the brand. Depending on the PSU's age and the power draw of the system, the whine could be stress related. I'd get it checked or replaced (replaced would probably be cheaper in the long run).

@ Mr. DBZ: Thanks a lot. Ritwik7 suggested the same. It is not a high pitched noise, but more of a drone that gets louder. My power supply is one of the cheapest my computer guy could get. I suppose it's only available in the Indian market, though not too sure about that. So there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back