Memory chip temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogStar

Need some ideas on what is within safe temperature for mem chips.

I have a Leadtek A170 DDR T and I am attempting to find what I can run the mem chips at safely.

This is what I have done.
*Attached the probe of an in/out door temperature gauge (electronic type) to one of the mem chips of the card, using some Blu Tac.So I will allow a tolerance of +/- 2 celcius.
*Proceeded to run 3D Mark 2001 se(default bench) at 3 different mem speeds and record highest temp reached.(core was at default of 275)

The room temperature was varied between 31.2-31.7 celcius during testing.These are the readings I observed.

1.275/405(stock settings) ---43.6 celcius
2.275/470---45.5 celcius
3.275/500---46.5 celcius (anomolies noticed)

So my question is ; are these in acceptable readings for a memchip?
There are no ram sinks on this card which has Samsung 4ns chips(which I believe should be rated to 250 mhz)

Thx in advance for your input

I think you found the limit of stability for your ram.
I would be impossible for me to say if the instablity on the last one was due to heat or timing, BUT all electronics, run better /last longer if kept cool. try the same test, with a big fan aimed at it.
does it work better? If so go with ramsinks, otherwise it may be it can't OC to those timings.
I'm sure ramsinks wouldn't hurt.
BTW if you go to the samsung site and lookup the parts spec, it will tell you Max. operating temp. Which will not match your numbers, as I doubt your themomitor setup is that accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back