Memory help 512mb + 256mb???

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffguy

my cousin got a computer with only 256mb RAM. So now i was thinking i get him a stick of 512mb. My question is can if i put in a 512mb stick will it combine memory with the 256mb stick? here is the LINK to the memory im going to get him.

yes it will, it will giver you 768mb of ram, but it is not recomended to mix different size, speed ot brand of ram

your optimal soultion if you can afford to get 512x2mb or ram and get 1gig

o ok can u send me a link to one please?
my budget is 60 bucks and i cant seem to find one at newegg

It also depends on the motherboard. Some, such as my MSI, are tolerant of mixing different speeds. Of course, if you want to use dual channel mode, they have to be installed as pairs but each pair can be different.

Check the motherboard manual to see what will work.

the problem is it may work and i may not wok so itsa chance

and duffyguy what link do you want me to send you

on newegg.com i cant find any RAM 1 gig 2x 512mb under my budget is tthere any other site or a specific link to memory that is really good?

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
I have 768MB on my system, the original 256MB, and i added a 512MB and its never given me any problems

.....AMD
I had 512mb on system and added 256 with no problems.

duffguy, I followed the link you provided and looked at the manual for your motherboard. It appears you can use different capacity RAM modules without problems as long as you don't exceed 1GB per slot.

duffguy said:
my cousin got a computer with only 256mb RAM. So now i was thinking i get him a stick of 512mb. My question is can if i put in a 512mb stick will it combine memory with the 256mb stick? here is the LINK to the memory im going to get him.

What's the speed of the 256MB? Then go from there. Most memory can go from PC2100, PC2700 to PC3200. MSI is another story. You can try to install the RAM and see if the system doesn't beep at you or not boot-up. If it boots up then you can get 768MB, if not then there is RAM for under $60 you just have to search for it. www.pricewatch.com is a good place to start.

Slot 1 256MB
Slot 2 512MB

If this doesn't work move them around 512MB in slot 1 instead. Sometimes it might work then again it might not?

hmm by reading that FAQ i guess i shoudlnt do it but would u guys like the 256mb memory speed? i think it was a pc2100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back