Memory Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty jj

hi
I have a problem with a memory upgrade.
my computer is a dell dimention 1100 p4 2.8ghz which originally had a 256mb memory module installed.
I have just purchased from crucial.com , 2 512mb ddr memory (pc3200) and installed correctly.
In system information it recognises 1024mb of memory but says physical memory available is only 89mb the same as when i had the 256mb memory installed.can any one help?
THANK YOU

Hey dude; you gotta clarify a bit here.
Where does it say that you got "only 89mb"?
First of all, what is your operating system? Windows XP, 2000 ?
What have you got running? Is it task manager that you use to check your memory? Fill us in so we can help. How much memory does your BIOS see (the first screen you see upon starting the machine, or go to BIOS settings by pressing Del/F10 or other key - find it in your dell's manual)?
If BIOS "sees" 1024MB then the memory is just fine; you probably need to do some housecleaning and get rid of unnecassary programs that are running under your operating system.

It says only 89mb in system information and task mananger.I am running on xp.The bios recognises 1024 but the problem is the physical memory is only 89mb the same amount as when i had the 256mb in and i have no more programs running then before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back