Memory stick problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly all support FAT32. It is possible to format some brands and models with NTFS, but I cannot think of any possible reasons why you would want to, or why this could be necessary... NTFS is better for complex file structure and security, but FAT32 works better with less memory, and is more reliable as a simple system.
Tell us what you have in mind, and why.

above a certain threshold, NTFS is better, below it, FAT32. I cannot remember the limit offhand, but most flash drives don't even come close. I think it is 32GB

I have a Transcend JF V30/8GB and sometimes i need to store big files.Under FAT32 file system isn`t posible.Can you advise me which program i have tu use to format my memorystick to NTFS file system.Thank you.

Important: To remove a device safely without data loss use a "safely remove hardware" procedure or Eject function from Windows Explorer.

To enable NTFS on your USB Flash Drive drive (USB Flash Memory):

Right click My Computer and select Manage.

Open the Device Manager and find your USB drive under the Disk Drives heading.

Right click the drive and select Properties.

Choose Policies tab and select the "Optimize for performance" option.

Click OK.

Open My Computer.

Select Format on the flash drive.

Choose NTFS in the File System dropdown box.

Device Formatting is completed.

Important: To remove a device safely without data loss use a "safely remove hardware" procedure or Eject function from Windows Explorer.

I have a Transcend JF V30/8GB and sometimes i need to store big files.Under FAT32 file system isn`t posible.Can you advise me which program i have tu use to format my memorystick to NTFS file system.Thank you.
try this and see if it works:

Q: How do I format a USB Flash Drive to NTFS file system?

1. Right click My Computer and select Manage.

2. Open the Device Manager and find your USB drive under the Disk Drives heading.

3. Right click the drive and select Properties.

4. Choose Policies tab and select the "Optimize for performance" option.

5. Click OK.

6. Open My Computer.

7. Select Format on the flash drive.

8. Choose NTFS in the File System dropdown box.

9. Device Formatting is completed.

Most flash drives are optimized for the filesystem they ship with. Individual sectors (blocks) of NAND memory are only good for a limited number of writes. As the FAT is written to frequently they reserve extra space (FAT Bank) specifically for the FAT to decrease the number of times each block is written to. If you change the filesystem on the drive to NTFS this optimization will no longer work, possibly leading to premature failure.

Short answer, you'll be fine if you only occasionally write to the drive.
If you are frequently writing to the drive leave it with the shipped filesystem.

This varies greatly depending on the controller manufacture & drive firmware, some implement this policy, others don't. Just warning you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back