Messed Up Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I type the letter "c", I get the letters, "dc". When I type the letter "d", I get "dc." For the letter "e", I get "3e" on the screen. The same thing happens for several characters on the keyboard of my Toshiba laptop. I just received the new keyboard that I ordered and the same thing happens. My deductive reasoning tells me that the old keyboard was good. Does anybody have any ideas? Is there a virus that does that?

What happens when you attach an external USB keyboard? (I'm sure you must have one plugged into a Desktop PC somewhere)

If you are using a brand new keyboard (with exact same results from the old keyboard) then obviously cleaning the keyboard won't help

Yes I'd say have a look at: UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

You may also try resetting the Bios, usually accessed by pressing a key shown on power up of your laptop (usually DEL) then locating Bios defaults, and applying it, then Save and Exit Bios Setup screen

I have plugged another keyboard into the laptop and it works just fine. I just reset the BIOS to the default settings and that didn't work. Bummer. I will try the 8 step process tomorrow when I have a lot more time to devote to this project. Thanks

Actually if the external works, then it sounds more like a connection issue

I'd unplug it, then turn it upsidedown and see if any paperslips fall out :)
Or just spray it with a high pressure air can. Make sure all loose parts are accounted for though ;)
Then securely (push hard - not too hard!) the connection back in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back