Inactive Metacafe Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

macx

When I start Firefox I get a window that says something like a metacafe dll downloader couldn't be found, and it seems to slow the start.

So I tried a little research to try to find out what I was dealing with.

What I found indicates that Metacafe is not something I want on my computer.

Then tried to find something that might help remove it.

I have Malwarebytes and Macafee which hadn't helped. Ran across a Metacafe Removal Tool that also didn't help, and another program from the same company that promised the moon and a free trial that turned into a push to buy a 6 month auto renew subscription to "fix" a really long line of "found" malware that I'd never heard of and that sounded suspiciously like an inflated scan result and that reviews convinced me to avoid.

Has anyone found any way to get rid of this Metacafe thing?

Thanks for any info!

Yes, I've ever only seen it on this little laptop, we just use it for travel but my
big one is down right now.

Oh, did all kinds of searches for it on the laptop and came up empty.
No Metacafe in Program Files either.

Have read it can do all kinds of nasties snooping around the hard drive etc.

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running any tools, fixes or applying any changes to your computer other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back