1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Metro Exodus can be preloaded on Steam, but not the Epic Games Store

By midian182 · 6 replies
Feb 13, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Preloading, for those unfamiliar, involves the downloading and installation of a game before launch, allowing owners to start playing as soon as it's officially released. It’s a particularly useful feature in today’s age of massive installs—Metro Exodus is around 50GB—and is appreciated by those with slow connections, who must wait many hours for a game to download on the day it arrives.

The Metro Exodus Twitter account confirmed that preloads for existing Steam pre-order customers will happen, with more announcements coming soon. It also said that preloads aren’t planned for the Epic Store release. With the game launching in two days (February 15), the situation seems unlikely to change.

There’s no word on why the game can’t be preloaded on the Epic Games Store, which apparently does support the feature.

Following the timed exclusivity announcement with Epic, the previous Metro titles—2033 and Last Light—were review bombed on Steam. This led to one developer suggesting the franchise could leave the PC, which 4A Games later denied.

While the more generous 88 percent developer cut means Exodus is cheaper ($50) on the Epic Games Store, the platform's lack of features compared to Steam, and the need to install a new launcher, has left some gamers unhappy about the situation.

If you've pre-ordered or are intending to buy Metro Exodus, check out the game's PC requirements here.

Permalink to story.

2. kira setsu

kira setsu TS Addict Posts: 136   +114

Oh wow! so you're telling me the extra fees steam charges devs may be used for other features that enrich its user experience overall?

there's a reason steam became so big, because it listened to customers(took time), now the metro team is looking even dimmer than before. such a cluster

ghostf1re likes this.
  3. Dosahka

Dosahka TS Addict Posts: 149   +59

Also Valve revenue system on Steam changed back in december 2018.
    Valve take 30% under 10 million copies, 25 between 10 and 50 million copies and 20 after 50 million copies.
    and this applies from 1 Oct 2018.
    So obviously the publisher had something in mind and giving the crap about we can keep more with 88/12, I'm not sure of they are selling for less on the Epic Game Store...
    They are getting what? like 2-3 dollars extra, over one million copies they save 2-3 million, while I'm sure 10 million ppl will buy it, so they will get more in the Steam store.
    Also the main concern is not giving choice to the customer, let live on steam but for higher price and say something similar: "You can save 10 dollars/pounds/euros in Epic Game Store", I bet majority of steam users wouldn't mind paying an extra just to have it there.

4. Sausagemeat

Sausagemeat TS Maniac Posts: 409   +205

Personally I don’t use or care about steam features and would prefer to pay less for the game on epic. I hope more developers make the move to cheaper platforms.

Potato Judge likes this.
  5. Potato Judge

Potato Judge TS Booster Posts: 161   +73

$50 on the EPIC store - is this the base game or with the Expansion pass? Curious if there is regional pricing there too.

6. Capaill

Capaill TS Evangelist Posts: 894   +497

The more I hear about the features and customer care that Steam provides versus what Epic are offering, the more I see where the 25% is going. While I think they could still take less, maybe it's Epic that needs to step up and justify the 12%.

Perhaps it would make more sense if they reversed that. Smaller developers would appreciate the extra profits from the lower rate of 20% and could use it to improve their games. Whereas, if a game is a massive success, then the developers are raking in the money and the extra 10% would barely be noticed (relatively speaking).

Dosahka and cliffordcooley like this.
  7. Dosahka

Dosahka TS Addict Posts: 149   +59

Totally agree, hence small developers does not have the number for both selling and profit to let someone take away 30% thus pricing higher for an Alpha/Beta game (which later might be an amazing game), then the studio has to close down due to financial issues (catch 22)

Capaill likes this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...