Microphone recording problems?! >_< help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
dearest all, my hobby is to create music using the simplest method of recording my music track by track. first my guitar, then my voice, using my very simple computer mic. recently, after all these years, i suddenly encountered a problem! it seems like i can no long "dub" the the other tracks while i record a new one. meaning, when i am adding my voice track (track #2) while playing my background music (track #1), the mic goes into chaos and records track #1's sounds WHILE i sing. i want the mic to be like it used to, to ONLY record my voice while i am playing the first track thru my headphones. why is it doing that? is there a simple way of gettin rid of this problem? help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

first, what program are you using?

secondly, have you checked that teh record path/selection is correct -microphone -line in -wave -stereo mix etc....

third, how is your setup? mic, sound card, routing (soft/hardware) etc..

im using this program called "acoustica mp3 audio mixer". the sound card that i have is prolly not good, it came with the laptop. when i double-click on my volume settings and all, it says its "Realtek AC97 Audio". as for the checking to see if all my settings are right. i HAVE recently played around with the volume and recording settings thru window's volume and recording control so maybe i've done something. could you please tell me which boxes i should check and uncheck? and also, is my soundcard good enough? i'm planning on buying a phillips vocal microphone to plug into my laptop, you think it'll work? im sorry for being such a clueless noob at this, but i really appreciate your help!

im using this program called "acoustica mp3 audio mixer". the sound card that i have is prolly not good, it came with the laptop. when i double-click on my volume settings and all, it says its "Realtek AC97 Audio". as for the checking to see if all my settings are right. i HAVE recently played around with the volume and recording settings thru window's volume and recording control so maybe i've done something. could you please tell me which boxes i should check and uncheck? and also, is my soundcard good enough? i'm planning on buying a phillips vocal microphone to plug into my laptop, you think it'll work? im sorry for being such a clueless noob at this, but i really appreciate your help!

are those headphones standard ones or USB headphones?

goto the volume control's properties
[control panel>sounds and multimedia]
-check you have the correct sound card/driver selected (realtek audio)
-audio tab, Realtek is selected for both playback and record
(sorry if that seems a bit obvious to you..)

next bit.. i've never used acoustica but usualy functions across most audio editors are the same/similar... so i'll try describing it as best i can...

there should be a preference or a setup thing that allows you to set up what input is to be recorded from.. make sure you've selected Microphone (or line in if you use that), and not playback, Stereo Mix, or Wave.. there may also be an option there to set how the playback goes in terms of like overdubbing etc.. also make sure your speakers arnt too close to the microphone, as they'll either produce feedback or spill into the other track of your recordings...

if all fails, and you dont remember what buttons you push.. you can always uninstall and reinstall the audio driver (painfull i know..), which will set everything back to default..

unfortunatly onboard soundcard aint as good for recording music, but will do the job pretty decently (unless you have an extraodinary ear.. :D) provided that you keep it within its limits (no distortions, no peaks etc) and know that it wont be able to sample as good as say... a digi 002 or a yamaha 02R etc.. for home use, just to do this 'n that type of things its alright....

if you want, invest in an USB/firewire soundcard (depending on what your laptop can support), such as the Creative EM-U or (my preffered, but a bit priceyer) Digidesign MBOX 2 etc.. it just depends on if you want to go somewhere with recording.. and budget available of course. Phillips vocal mic.. yeh you could use that.. just try read into it (the mic) abit more before you buy it.. as in reviews etc. A friend of mine once said (something along these lines..):
"Research the things you want to get before you do. Try to get things that will last you for a long time and that you can add on 'upgrades' in the future and not have to be thrown out because its not compatible or is plain crap. Even if it cost a bit more, or you have to wait for it, its better than buying another new system completely"

do watch the double posting.. most of us dont live on this forum 24/7, and try to help during our free time.. so patience is the key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back