Microsoft axes Kin phones, European launch cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After an underwhelming launch response, Microsoft has essentially pulled the plug on its Kin phone project. The handsets began shipping only a few short weeks ago, and rumors last week suggested that only 500 devices were sold – yes, that's five hundred. According new reports, the folks who designed the Kin have been assimilated into the Windows Phone 7 team. Additionally, plans for a European release have been axed.

As for the US, Microsoft says it will continue to work with Verizon to sell existing phones. We're not sure whether that means production will continue for a while, or if they're just trying to move what's already in warehouses. For what it's worth, Verizon says the Kin "remains an important part" of its portfolio. That said, the carrier slashed prices by as much as 50% over the weekend, and that sure screams fire sale to us.

Even with the lower hardware prices, the Kin probably won't fly off shelves. Besides missing features, the biggest complaint we've heard is that the monthly fee is as high as more capable devices, such as the iPhone and Android-based smartphones, which also happen to be more appealing to the Kin's target demographic of teens and twenty-somethings.

Permalink to story.

These things had FA1L written all over them from day one.
Pretty amusing how Microsoft is so detached from its customers. Incredible, really.

Its hard to capture a market full of the excitement about updated Android software and newly released Iphone4. Awful timing on Microsoft's part and only 500 devives sold, I'm surprised they didn't behead the team that created it.

Awesome. Hopefully now I won't have to be embarrassed to be sitting in the movie theater when that 5 minute Kin ad plays

Based on their first commercial, I don't doubt these failed. Something about a guy taking photos of his ex girlfriend who hates him though he still likes her says "creep/stalker" to me. They really couldn't have come up with something better? lol

Anywho, the specs really are a bit of a turn off. They're ugly and not that impressive...doomed from the start.

Even as a PR move, it's terrible news for MS. Next time at least pull from it on a more decent fashion and fade away over the months and not just six weeks after release.

I personally didn't think the phone was going to fail because of the hardware, software or design, not at all. I thought it was a good phone for the specific demographic it was aimed at. But it was released in such a bad time. With iOS4 released, Android 2.2 with Flash, and Android phones getting released by every blink of an eye; this was very much expected.

Now what I did not expect was only 500+ units sold. That is just... sad. Lol

I knew it would fail from the start, but only 500 units? That is awful. I've seen wayy too many commercials for the Kin for that to be even possible

Hopefully now I won't have to be embarrassed to be sitting in the movie theater when that 5 minute Kin ad plays. Its hard to capture a market full of the excitement about updated Android software and newly released Iphone4.

I was amazed from the time they announced the Kin that it ever made it past some brainstorming session and actually was even CONSIDERED for production. Seriously, how could MS have possibly thought that the smart thing to do was targeting the most tech savvy and tech immersed generation (to date) with dumbed down simplified limited mobile devices? I think somebody in charge of product design and marketing was either hittin the crack pipe, or is a dinosaur and one of those "talks down" to kids, even when it's a 22 year old genius with a PhD in applied theoretical physics... That's my only mental images that even make sense out of this entire Kin endeavor.

Microsoft should have put all that wasted money and time into their mobile OS, concentrated on their strengths, and maybe hit the market a bit earlier with a known contender. But, hey, it wouldn't be Microsoft if they didn't royally screw up here and there between victories, right?

First off, they tethered themselves to Verizon (traditionally the one of the most expensive carriers). Unlock the stupid thing and make it available to anyone who wants one. Why is that so hard?

brucethetech said:
First off, they tethered themselves to Verizon (traditionally the one of the most expensive carriers). Unlock the stupid thing and make it available to anyone who wants one. Why is that so hard?

True enough, but the same could be said of AT&T and Apple. Why can't Apple make the iPhone available to anyone who wants one, but doesn't want service with AT&T?

brucethetech said:

Even if it was on all carriers... The problem was the phone, not the provider. Nobody in their target demographic wanted the dumbed down, inflexible and limited product that Kin turned out to be. All the big money advertising in the world couldn't sell something like that, when there were so many alternatives that could be tailored to the user - iPhone, Android, etc. They tried hard to polish the turd, but in the end it still stunk too bad for the general public to want it near their faces :)

true... but people signed up for AT&T just to get the iphone. people arent going to do that for Microsoft's facebook toy. Why not open your buyer pool to any carrier.

Microsoft, I swear I won't defend a damn thing you do in the mobile market because its making Nokia look good. Thats just sad.

They're still advertising the Kin. I just saw another commercial on TV. Presumably it's to move out existing inventory but pity the poor schmucks who buy it now.

I feel sorry for the 500 people who actually bought the phone. Or maybe they were just Microsoft employees

and who gets an iphone with a 2 gig plan?
its a trap!!!!!!
to make u go over ur limit and charge u a ton of money!!
An iphone is to be sold with a unlimited data plan not a 246 mbps or 2 gigs!!!!!
Very usual trap of ATT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back