Microsoft could be developing a way to run Android apps authentically on Windows

mongeese

Staff
Rumor mill: Microsoft is supposedly developing a new software infrastructure that will allow Android apps to be converted, simply and quickly, to an MSIX app package that runs on Windows seamlessly. If the project proves successful, then some of the most popular Android apps could become available in the Microsoft Store.

Microsoft's ambitious project is codenamed Latte, according to Windows Central. The report adds that Microsoft is planning to announce Latte next year, aiming to release it as part of the Windows 10 Fall 2021 update.

Microsoft's first attempt to run Android software on Windows was project Astoria, and its purpose was to bring Android apps to the Windows phone ecosystem. That didn't work, and its failure is partly to blame for the dismissal of the Windows phone concept; because without it, Microsoft couldn't bring enough apps to their app store. And they still can't.

Snapchat, which has over a billion downloads in the Play Store, isn't readily available on Windows. This is the kind of ecosystem gap that makes Windows tablets, and hybrid devices like Microsoft's own Surface Pro series, a difficult buy for general consumers. Latte exists (assuming it does exist) to make Windows more competitive against iOS and Android.

Lately, Microsoft has developed tools that allow more apps to run on Windows devices. UWP (the universal Windows platform), for example, has made apps more portable, and the added support for PWAs (progressive web apps) has streamlined app development. Thus it isn't surprising that Microsoft has set its sights on Android apps. The aforementioned software also provides a robust foundation that Latte can utilize.

Windows Central speculates that Latte will be based on the recently-released WSL 2 (Windows subsystem for Linux). If Latte uses a secondary subsystem for Android on top of WSL, then the burden on developers will be very minimal. With a little luck, developers could finish the Android to Windows conversion before they've finished their morning lattes…

Permalink to story.

Google will just change something about their requirements for app that makes it way harder to port them over to windows to block this. Google always retaliates against microsoft on moves like this. That's partly why google is guilty of anti-trust claims IMO.

Google will just change something about their requirements for app that makes it way harder to port them over to windows to block this. Google always retaliates against microsoft on moves like this. That's partly why google is guilty of anti-trust claims IMO.
No they won't. Android app development is too free a market to make such a move. Heck, there are plenty of other Android Stores that Google sees none of the revenue from. Why would this be any different?

Now, if it was Apple... lol

No they won't. Android app development is too free a market to make such a move. Heck, there are plenty of other Android Stores that Google sees none of the revenue from. Why would this be any different?

There's even bluestacks that runs android apps with no problem, so I also don't see any difficulties in this

What's the odds on Microsoft teaming up with a bunch of major manufacturers to fork Android away from Google within a couple years?

“Snapchat, which has over a billion downloads in the Play Store, isn't readily available on Windows. This is the kind of ecosystem gap that makes Windows tablets, and hybrid devices like Microsoft's own Surface Pro series, a difficult buy for general consumers.”

So a dying social media platform used exclusively by tweens, on PHONES, is what makes consumers not buy a content creation laptop device? This article is awful.

I’m not even sure when I last saw an Android tablet, and I regularly see Surface devices. I don’t think having Android apps are helping them.

Android tablets are junk and Surface Pro devices compete with the bigger iPad Pro, not the smaller content consumption iPads. Allowing poor Android tablet apps doesn’t help anything.

“Snapchat, which has over a billion downloads in the Play Store, isn't readily available on Windows. This is the kind of ecosystem gap that makes Windows tablets, and hybrid devices like Microsoft's own Surface Pro series, a difficult buy for general consumers.”

So a dying social media platform used exclusively by tweens, on PHONES, is what makes consumers not buy a content creation laptop device? This article is awful.

I’m not even sure when I last saw an Android tablet, and I regularly see Surface devices. I don’t think having Android apps are helping them.

Android tablets are junk and Surface Pro devices compete with the bigger iPad Pro, not the smaller content consumption iPads. Allowing poor Android tablet apps doesn’t help anything.
I have a device very similar to the Surface Pro, and I use it as a tablet sometimes. I'd like it if it could run Snapchat, because I use Snapchat occasionally to talk to friends.

What about Google apps though ? I remember MS creating their own Youtube app for Windows phone but then Google changed the API and blocked MS from using it.

What about Google apps though ? I remember MS creating their own Youtube app for Windows phone but then Google changed the API and blocked MS from using it.
That's a different story. They didn't exactly port/emulate that (from what I remember).

I have a device very similar to the Surface Pro, and I use it as a tablet sometimes. I'd like it if it could run Snapchat, because I use Snapchat occasionally to talk to friends.

They are not your friends!

Real friends would provide a service to you by giving you one of their old phones

ALL the cool kids have phones!

No Phone / No Friends / No Service!

Last edited:
I guess that's the best indication of a company that has run out of idea's .... they have to steal others.......

Microsoft Android would be both good and bad, like any other OS they produce.
The good will outweigh the bad by a tremendous margin. Instant updates across all devices instead of the 0-18 month planned obsolescence cartel Google is selling us with network operators, depending on their "benevolence".
I honestly don't see a bad in this scenario. Microsoft is already running GitHub and they have decades experience of providing software support across hardware platforms.

boy are you off! Windows was the greatest operating system to give stimulation to the PC market back in the '90's but it did not compare to Apple. M$ plodded along selling inferior software to people who 'believed' in M$.

But times have changed. We have seen too many M$ failures to be content with M$ and as Apple took on wide acceptability, also Android zipped up to the front to snatch away phone and tablet systems from M$.

Today, except in business who use old programs, I see no reason to buy M$. Yes I have a win7 on my laptop, but my phone, my tablets all are running Android and they work great. M$ has yet to match the Android experience and I doubt they can.

M$ is basically a great sales team that sells tech, but their tech team is secondary to the sales. Android and Apple are first rate tech teams and that is what we need.

Back