Microsoft deprecates Windows Mixed Reality, several headsets could become e-waste

Daniel Sims

Staff
The big picture: Despite ongoing efforts by Meta, Valve, Apple, Sony, and Samsung, virtual reality and mixed reality have struggled to achieve mainstream acceptance. Now, Microsoft has given up on the technology. Anyone considering using Windows Mixed Reality should download the required software now while it remains available.

Windows Mixed Reality recently entered Microsoft's list of deprecated features. The company has confirmed that it will no longer update the Mixed Reality Portal app or its SteamVR compatibility driver.

A Microsoft representative told UploadVR that consumers can no longer download the Mixed Reality Windows Store and Steam VR apps from November 1, 2026. They will remain available for commercial users for another year afterward.

Those who are already using the software won't be affected when the company delists it. However, they won't be able to set up new Windows Mixed Reality systems or continue using the necessary apps after upgrading to future versions of Windows.

Earlier reports indicate that Microsoft could release Windows 12 before the end of next year, with AI as a central focus. However, the company may still be deciding whether to call the 2024 update Windows 12, as Windows 11 has yet to surpass the popularity of Windows 10.

Deprecating Windows Mixed Reality brings the fates of numerous headset models into doubt. The Dell Visor, Lenovo Explorer, HP VR1000, HP Reverb headsets, Acer AH101, Acer OJO 500, Asus HC102, and both Samsung Odyssey models require Microsoft's software stack. In 2026 and 2027, all those models could become e-waste unless their manufacturers or third parties find workarounds.

Meanwhile, Sony is forging ahead with PlayStation VR 2. The company's latest patent looks ambitious and might never see the light of day, but its existence proves that Sony is considering new input methods to make VR and mixed reality more immersive.

The patent explores two possible methods to simulate movement with foot-based controls that require less space than room-scale VR interfaces. One involves a pair of foot-operated spheres similar to trackballs. The other is a circular touchpad that users would operate with their feet. Interestingly, the latter can sense a foot's proximity to determine the force of an input, giving users finer control over movement speed.

Emulating locomotion has been one of VR's most enduring challenges. Omnidirectional treadmills have been a fixture in the VR space for years, and one company proposed a pair of robotic boots.

Permalink to story.

Effing Microsoft. Crete a standard and ecosystem for devices, then drop it like a hot potato. Feels similar to Windows 8 Modern Interface, Windows RT, and Windows Mobile. I’m really close to dropping them and going straight to Linux. Yeah, not that it will help a VR headset, but I’m tired of “rewarding” them for stunts like this.

I had the Lenovo's back in the days before going with a Rift, it was fairly decent for the price, sad they didn't continued even if it's a niche product.

WMR was a failure because of Microsoft's refusal to actually invest in it. My Odyssey+ was great not because it was a WMR headset, but because it supported SteamVR. They needed to simply build out something LIKE SteamVR but focused on functionality

Effing Microsoft. Crete a standard and ecosystem for devices, then drop it like a hot potato. Feels similar to Windows 8 Modern Interface, Windows RT, and Windows Mobile. I’m really close to dropping them and going straight to Linux. Yeah, not that it will help a VR headset, but I’m tired of “rewarding” them for stunts like this.
Is the Windows mixed reality app any good? I never used it. I still have an Oculus Rift and use the Oculus software and SteamVR. I almost got a HP reverb but decided to wait for something better to come along. I'm thinking of going with BigscreenVR for the comfort and fidelity.

As for M$FT dropping stuff, yeah that is annoying - but that is why I asked if their mixed reality app is any good.

The other stuff you mentioned, like the "modern interface" in windows 8 SUCKED! Maybe it wouldn't have been an issue had they not FORCED it on all desktop users and SERVER OS. I present you with Windows Server 2012 TABLET EDITION. Really???

Windows RT, a good idea but would equivalent x86 applications being available no one really wanted it so it flopped.

Windows Mobile, back in the early 2000's was actually pretty awesome - but it was very niche.

From the tech perspective, I just want to be able to have my full desktop and all its apps run on ANY DEVICE, so a desktop, a laptop, a tablet, and a phone sized device - I want the same thing on all of them. Let hardware makers come up with keyboard and mouse input options for these things. Now I realize most people won't want a complicated full desktop experience on any device, but those of us with a techy disposition and the ability to use it would sure appreciate it. That is where I was hoping Windows Mobile would go, and Windows RT, and Windows Phones... but alas, they all tried to force watered down crap on the average consumer who just didn't get it. They targeted the wrong audience.

Back