Microsoft details Windows 10 Fall Creators Update privacy enhancements

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft on Wednesday detailed some of the privacy enhancements coming to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update that’ll impact both consumers and commercial customers. Marisa Rogers, privacy officer with the Windows & Devices Group, noted that Microsoft is making two changes to the Windows 10 setup process.

With the update, users will be able to directly access the operating system’s privacy statement during setup. Furthermore, the “learn more” page on the privacy settings screen will let you jump directly to information regarding specific topics such as location, diagnostics, tailored experiences, ads and speech recognition without having to sift through the entire document.

The pending update will also introduce per-app permissions for apps installed through the Microsoft Store. Post-update, you’ll be prompted to grant permission before an app can access device capabilities or information such as the camera, microphone, calendar and contacts.

It’s worth noting that app permissions will only apply to apps that have been installed after the Fall Creators Update is applied. To manage existing app permissions, head to Start -> Settings -> Privacy.

Enterprise customers, meanwhile, will have access to a new setting that limit the amount of diagnostic data shared with Microsoft to the minimum required for Windows Analytics.

The Fall Creators Update is scheduled to arrive on October 17 although Windows Insiders will get a chance to try it out in the coming weeks.

Permalink to story.

Hurray!! An easier way to access a privacy statement that maybe 1% of the population has an interest in reading!!

I can hardly wait to peruse the new agreement - I've already set aside October 18th to read the entire thing :)

"Enterprise customers, meanwhile, will have access to a new setting that limit the amount of diagnostic data shared with Microsoft to the minimum required for Windows Analytics."

So instead of spying on individual machines Microsoft can view your entire organization's IT infrastructure. Oh well, at least their not reading your documents anymore. Maybe.

We'll just have to wait and see what we get. I stopped believing whatever M$ said many moons ago.
Well, it's not like they're really promising anything... just the ability to read the privacy statement with a bit more ease... I highly doubt they'd bother to lie about it...

Well, it's not like they're really promising anything... just the ability to read the privacy statement with a bit more ease... I highly doubt they'd bother to lie about it...
Truth be told, it's bound to be the same as what we have now. You'd be hard pressed to notice any changes once up and running and that's just fine by me.

Truth be told, it's bound to be the same as what we have now. You'd be hard pressed to notice any changes once up and running and that's just fine by me.
Agreed - and you can always Google how to enable/disable any privacy feature you want in Windows.... we've been able to do that since release day 1...

For some reason, I don't believe that.
You can disable some things you do that you don't want M$ knowing about but they still get what they're after one way or another and there's absolutely nothing the user can do about it. Over here I can uninstall apps and programs (and I did) using the stock built in uninstaller like Cortana, Mixed reality Portal, XBox stuff, Windows Store etc. that other regions like yours simply cannot without resorting to some trickery. M$ are more interested in your info than mine.

You can disable some things you do that you don't want M$ knowing about but they still get what they're after one way or another and there's absolutely nothing the user can do about it. Over here I can uninstall apps and programs (and I did) using the stock built in uninstaller like Cortana, Mixed reality Portal, XBox stuff, Windows Store etc. that other regions like yours simply cannot without resorting to some trickery. M$ are more interested in your info than mine.

If you Google.... you can disable any of your privacy information being sent to MS via your OS.... browser history, etc, must be dealt with as well as your application use... Google is your friend however.... there ARE ways to keep your privacy - it just takes some work and research...

If you Google.... you can disable any of your privacy information being sent to MS via your OS.... browser history, etc, must be dealt with as well as your application use... Google is your friend however.... there ARE ways to keep your privacy - it just takes some work and research...
Yes, there are ways but is it worth all that effort? If you're planning on or busy doing something nefarious, unwanted attention grabbing or simply over paranoid then I guess it is but to the 'normal' masses, they simply don't know and don't care. Just like you, I generally don't appreciate being spied upon but some of my personal info and telemetry, MS is welcome to because it does help improve products, (or so I'm led to believe) just as long as they don't sell it to the highest bidder... but I have no way of knowing what they actually do with it.

Yes, there are ways but is it worth all that effort? If you're planning on or busy doing something nefarious, unwanted attention grabbing or simply over paranoid then I guess it is but to the 'normal' masses, they simply don't know and don't care. Just like you, I generally don't appreciate being spied upon but some of my personal info and telemetry, MS is welcome to because it does help improve products, (or so I'm led to believe) just as long as they don't sell it to the highest bidder... but I have no way of knowing what they actually do with it.

And that's the rub... everyone is all up in arms about their "privacy" being violated... but these same people are the first ones to post everything on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc... The only thing that I really need confidential is my banking information....

And that's the rub... everyone is all up in arms about their "privacy" being violated... but these same people are the first ones to post everything on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc... The only thing that I really need confidential is my banking information....
I couldn't agree more.
If you give me your banking details, I'll keep it secure for you ;) :D

You buy (or get an update to) a product and during the install you get this prompt "agree to our privacy terms". OH MY, I got to stop right now and read/verify this stuff right now - - yeah, sure thing (not). It's more likely to be "get out of my way, I want to get this done and use my new product"!

These Privacy T/C are so naive they're totally ignored. When's the last time you read one, top to bottom, every line?

The Privacy T/C are all CYA for the product provider and have nothing to do with "protecting the user".

Back