Microsoft extends Windows 8.1 Update deadline

Shawn Knight

Staff member

windows update microsoft operating system windows 8.1 deadline

When Microsoft launched Windows 8.1 Update last month, the company noted that current Windows 8.1 users would need to download and install the update by May 13 (tomorrow) in order to be eligible to receive future patches.

Unfortunately, a number of Windows 8.1 users ran into issues almost immediately while trying to install the update. Despite releasing a few fixes and workarounds early on, problems remained for many which is likely the reason why Microsoft is now giving users another 30 days – until June 10 – to install the update.

The announcement was made earlier this morning in a blog post on the Windows Experience blog. No real reason was given for the extension although Microsoft did recommend checking out this article if you run into issues with the update or posting in the Windows community forums for assistance in troubleshooting problems.

It’s worth pointing out that this requirement only applies to consumer Windows 8.1 users. Business customers have until August 12 to move to the update.

Those with Automatic Updates enabled won’t have to do anything and will receive the update automatically through Windows Update (if they haven’t received it already). People not running Automatic Updates will need to manually download and install Windows 8.1 Update.

Windows 8.1 Update offers a number of worthwhile features including the ability to boot directly to the desktop if you aren’t using a touchscreen. It also includes dedicated power and search buttons for the Start screen, a new right-click context menu for desktop users and much more.

Permalink to story.

So if your unable to download the update you have to buy a new version of windows? Is it me or is microsoft just trying to destroy their product entirely...

Putting a deadline on updates is like telling someone you can get your cancer cured but the cure runs out in 10 days and if you dont take the cure before the 10 days you will get cancer and if your cancer comes back you will be ineligable for another cure....

Windows 8.1 has been a headache for me. After downloading it to my system, my drives began to crash. My PC would get caught in an endless loading cycle and then it would restore itself, only to get stuck in another endless loading cycle. My problem went away when I reformatted my drive and reinstalled Windows 8. I am reluctant to implement the upgrade because of this problem. I bought a fresh version of Windows 8.1 so if I lose out on the free update I'm not worried.

So if your unable to download the update you have to buy a new version of windows? Is it me or is microsoft just trying to destroy their product entirely...

Putting a deadline on updates is like telling someone you can get your cancer cured but the cure runs out in 10 days and if you dont take the cure before the 10 days you will get cancer and if your cancer comes back you will be ineligable for another cure....

No. If you have Windows 8 you don't have to download 8.1.1 to stay updated. If you do want to go to 8.1 the update is to 8.1.1 is included. Most people that have 8.1 already have their machines set to auto update.

Windows 8.1 has been a headache for me. After downloading it to my system, my drives began to crash. My PC would get caught in an endless loading cycle and then it would restore itself, only to get stuck in another endless loading cycle. My problem went away when I reformatted my drive and reinstalled Windows 8. I am reluctant to implement the upgrade because of this problem. I bought a fresh version of Windows 8.1 so if I lose out on the free update I'm not worried.
Seems a pretty good argument for sticking with W7. Can someone remind me of the advantages with W8?

W8 has better TCP/IP with RTO, of course you could add RTO to Windows 7 using certain drivers. Memory Mangement has changes also supports the new Non-BIOS method hardware (W8 Only) But remember W8 uses more RAM than Windows 7 does. 2MB your pushing the system in to a sluggish lifestyle with W8.

W7 lightweight in terms of system resources free in memory.
W8 heavyweight pulling in MetroApps, Regular W7 desktop into W8.

8GB min for W8
To me W8 has too much of foot hole with MS knowing what your doing if you use Live feature. Which if you don't use it still hiding on the system.

So many will still run W7 because they don't have to deal with MS knowing what they're up to. Other than that, W8 gives you what you features like you don't get with W7. Of course you could get them just have to install buggy 3-third-party software if you want to try it out on W7.

This is a huge PR disaster for them. But no. You do not have to run out and buy another copy of Windows.

The best thing to do is just reset your machine to factory and start over.

W8 has better TCP/IP with RTO, of course you could add RTO to Windows 7 using certain drivers. Memory Mangement has changes also supports the new Non-BIOS method hardware (W8 Only) But remember W8 uses more RAM than Windows 7 does. 2MB your pushing the system in to a sluggish lifestyle with W8.

8GB min for W8
To me W8 has too much of foot hole with MS knowing what your doing if you use Live feature. Which if you don't use it still hiding on the system.

So many will still run W7 because they don't have to deal with MS knowing what they're up to. Other than that, W8 gives you what you features like you don't get with W7. Of course you could get them just have to install buggy 3-third-party software if you want to try it out on W7.
8.1.1 pretty much lightened it up so much you can really use it on run of the mill tablets now. One machine(x32) I have only have a core duo and 3 GB of ram that work fine.

I've had to reformat my hard drive a few times now and reinstall windows so if I do this after the deadline I won't be able to get 8.1.1??

I've had to reformat my hard drive a few times now and reinstall windows so if I do this after the deadline I won't be able to get 8.1.1??
That's not what they are saying. You will be able to get Update 1, which will be required for further security updates. I don't have Win8 but if I did, I wouldn't have an issue with this at all.

So you guys are saying their is no deadline on windows updates yet microsoft CLEARLY states that if you do not download the update you will not get future updates... is it me or does this literally screw customers...

If installing Windows 8.1 Update 1 is how you are getting screwed, I can see your dilemma. If not; then anytime in the future you want MS security updates, install "Win 8.1 Update 1". Further updates will not be available to previous Windows 8 revisions. But yet Update 1 is free and therefore should not be provoking anyone.

And I hate Windows 8, I just don't see how this is upsetting anyone.

I'd also login as a guest if I posted such a meaningful and well thought out reply.
Well, with such a meaningful and well thought out question, I thought I would reciprocate on the thoughtfulness of the question at hand. Also, since we are on the topic of meaningful responses, zero points for a smart *** reply. Besides the question asked was what the advantages of using windows 8 over windows 7 were, and the honest answer would be, "Everything". Having purchased Windows 8 for far cheaper than any previous version, I feel I have lost absolutely nothing beyond the first few minutes of actually learning the new interface, which like anything else, grows on you. I cant see myself using the "normal" windows easily again. I however suspect that my honest answer will undoubtedly be confronted with 'thoughtful' and 'meaningful' rhetoric?

I heard that chinese have been researching an alt intel like processor tech and russians are into new windows like/killer OS which may pave a way to new era of cheap non-bully tech for consumers may finally put an end to microsick losers.

"Windows 8.1 users would need to download and install the update by May 13 (tomorrow) in order to be eligible to receive future patches."

I thought I'd post the above quote for all those saying you will be able to download future updates, when in fact, you will NOT.

"Windows 8.1 Update offers a number of worthwhile features including the ability to boot directly to the desktop if you aren’t using a touchscreen. It also includes dedicated power and search buttons for the Start screen, a new right-click context menu for desktop users and much more."

Shawn Knight, you know you're describing Windows 7, right? But then, if that's they case, why get windows 8? ...oh..I forgot, to get shafted by MS.

8GB min for W8

I will stick with W7. As my PC has plenty of grunt i5 cpu and 16 Gb memory and I use W7 at work it would be pointless to change to W8. None of the advantages outweigh the disadvantages from my perspective.

So you think Update 1 will NOT be available for download in the future?

I think you'd have to do a complete re-install for it to work (from win 8.0); but if you have win 8.1 already installed, then no, it doesn't appear that they'll allow future updates/patches.

...but I'm replying to this after seeing the backpadal on the Kinect...so who know what the "Masters of the Backpadal Maneuver" will do ;)

Thanks Vrmithrax, I'm loving the new MS nickname!

Can't tell how you'll ever be able to install windows 8.1 from scratch on that computer. I have 8 on one computer and I don't want 8.1 because in multi boot it boots windows 8.1 all the way before being able to select an alternate os; takes lots of time when installing programs requiring a lot of reboots.

Back