Microsoft Flight Simulator is getting DLSS and FSR 1.0 support in July, FSR 2.0 coming...

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Microsoft Flight Simulator is a fantastic experience, even if you're not into flying planes, but it requires an absolute monster of a rig if you want to push the settings and resolutions high. The good news is that the previously announced DLSS support is coming to the game in a couple of months, and now we know that AMD's upscaling tech, FSR, is also being added.

Asobo, the developer of Microsoft Flight Simulator, announced during a Q&A session last week that both Nvidia's Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) Technology and AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) would be part of the game's Update 10 dropping this July.

Additionally, Asobo said that it is working on adding support for the updated version of AMD's upscaler, FSR 2.0. No word on when that will get here, though. And while Asobo Studio's executive producer Martial Bossard said it would arrive "soon," including it in Update 10 may be a bit optimistic.

Bossard said the studio is still experiencing some issues with implementing DLSS support, including artifacts being present in the game and problems with some animated textures and the water surfaces.

As FSR 2.0 doesn't rely on machine learning, it works on a range of graphics cards, though AMD notes that it will be more demanding than a spatial upscaling solution like FSR 1.0, meaning you'll need a beefier GPU to get the most out of it—especially when upscaling to 4K. Check out AMD's list of recommendations in the table below.

Microsoft recently brought Flight Simulator to Xbox Cloud Gaming so subscribers can enjoy it on a range of lower-spec devices. Head of Microsoft Flight Simulator Jorg Neumann said it was the number one title on the streaming service, bringing "tons and tons of new people into the game."

Check out our comparison of DLSS 2.0 and FSR 1.0 from last year. Nvidia had the edge in that battle, but will FSR 2.0 push AMD ahead?

Permalink to story.

Ok this is tangential but I feel I must comment: Why would you think that for 4k upscaled you can compare "3070" and "2070"? A 2070 is actually comparable in performance to a 3060, the card that you have on the step below at '1440p' is just as capable as that 2070 and you still have a 3060ti tier in between those 2 levels of performance.

I can guarantee that it will be shown to be absolutely incorrect to say that a 2070 is better for 4k than a 3060. Yet system requirements from game publishers are almost always, universally, THIS bad. I mean this is a Microsoft game they're supposed to actually know the hardware and test it themselves since literally another division of the same corporation validates the drivers and works with Nvidia to optimize performance.

This is just a damned marketing person overwriting the engineers and saying "No we want to make it clear it needs an x070 tier card and if we put the 3060ti above the 2070 it will confuse people" Sorry but lying about how a card performs in your game confuses people 100x more: Even Nvidia probably doesn't likes that older generation products are shown to be better than the ones they're trying to replace them with and go through great lengths to show gamers "This x060 tier card can now match the performance of previous generation x070 cards!"

I really don't understand the love for this game and its graphics, once you go below a certain altitude the landscapes & city scapes look pretty appalling, at current satellite data resolutions.

Ok this is tangential but I feel I must comment: Why would you think that for 4k upscaled you can compare "3070" and "2070"? A 2070 is actually comparable in performance to a 3060, the card that you have on the step below at '1440p' is just as capable as that 2070 and you still have a 3060ti tier in between those 2 levels of performance.

I can guarantee that it will be shown to be absolutely incorrect to say that a 2070 is better for 4k than a 3060. Yet system requirements from game publishers are almost always, universally, THIS bad. I mean this is a Microsoft game they're supposed to actually know the hardware and test it themselves since literally another division of the same corporation validates the drivers and works with Nvidia to optimize performance.

This is just a damned marketing person overwriting the engineers and saying "No we want to make it clear it needs an x070 tier card and if we put the 3060ti above the 2070 it will confuse people" Sorry but lying about how a card performs in your game confuses people 100x more: Even Nvidia probably doesn't likes that older generation products are shown to be better than the ones they're trying to replace them with and go through great lengths to show gamers "This x060 tier card can now match the performance of previous generation x070 cards!"
Maybe Techspot doesn't assume its readers are *****s. Also, the 2070 was marketed as a 4k card by nVidia when it was released, so there's that. There is a high probability that people who bought a 2070 at release bought it for 4k gaming. I game at 4k on a 1070ti and I bought that new at release.

I really don't understand the love for this game and its graphics, once you go below a certain altitude the landscapes & city scapes look pretty appalling, at current satellite data resolutions.
First off all tell me what other game that offers you the entire planet at your fingertips has the amount of detail Flight Simulator has?
And second of all if you are flying why do you care about the ground....

That's the reason why most people love the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator.

First off all tell me what other game that offers you the entire planet at your fingertips has the amount of detail Flight Simulator has?
And second of all if you are flying why do you care about the ground....

That's the reason why most people love the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator.
People either get it or they don't.

I can guarantee that it will be shown to be absolutely incorrect to say that a 2070 is better for 4k than a 3060.

Well, you'd be wrong. The stock 2070 actually narrowly beats the stock 3060 at 1080p, 1440p and 4k in FS2020.

Largely because, you know, the 2070 has more memory bandwidth (440GB/s vs 360GB).

Yay for DLSS! That is the main reason I bought an Nvidia card... its working great on COD MW 2019 and Battlefield 2042. My monitor does 100hz and 3440x1440 smoothly on a RTX 3070 with DLSS on balanced mode. I've never needed to fiddle with performance mode. I also find in many shooter games I cannot tell the difference between Ultra and high graphics levels... you have to sit and look for the difference, so now days I am just playing BF on 'high'.

Back