Microsoft is testing authenticator logins for Windows 10 S users

By Polycount
Feb 8, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. It seems Microsoft may be aiming to ditch passwords sooner than some may have thought. The company first made their anti-password goals clear back in 2015 with the release of Windows 10 which launched with the "Windows Hello" facial recognition system for logins.

In December, the company reaffirmed their intentions, saying the model of securing devices using passwords "needs a makeover." Now, in the latest Windows Insider update preview, the company has called passwords "inconvenient and insecure" while showing off a new authenticator-based login system for Windows 10 S testers.

To use the new system, users will simply need to download the Microsoft Authenticator app on their mobile device and integrate it with their Windows 10 S PC. From the images Microsoft has provided so far, it seems like users will then be able to use their fingerprint to approve Windows device sign-ins.

The software giant feels so strongly about a password-free future for Windows that they've eliminated them entirely for Insiders who already have Windows Hello set up. However, it's unclear when, or indeed if Microsoft plans to roll out these updates to the greater Windows 10 install base.

Permalink to story.

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 834   +368

I've got a serious question that I don't think has been brought up in a while. How often are standard, run of the mill passwords actually cracked? And how often is it not cracked but leaked, backdoor-ed or someone taking an educated guess based on known personal information?

Once you factor in two factor authentication, how big is the real need to ditch the humble password?

senketsu likes this.
  3. seeprime

seeprime TS Maniac Posts: 221   +186

I don't trust that Microsoft will be able to make this not-annoying to users. What happens when your phone isn't handy? We'll see how well this goes.

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,098   +2,588

And when you phone gets stolen .........