Microsoft is working on a fix for Windows 10 Pro activation bug

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Microsoft has suffered through a steady stream of bugs in recent memory and the latest appears to be primarily targeting Windows 10 Pro users that upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro via the free upgrade offer a few years back. Microsoft is aware of the issue and should have a fix ready to go soon.

Update (11/9): In a statement released to ZDNet, Microsoft indicates that they've solved the issue and that users should see an automatic fix to the activation bug within the next 24 hours:

"A limited number of customers experienced an activation issue that our engineers have now addressed. Affected customers will see resolution over the next 24 hours as the solution is applied automatically. In the meantime, they can continue to use Windows 10 Pro as usual."

Some Windows 10 Pro users are grappling with a mysterious bug that is deactivating licenses and downgrading them to Windows 10 Home. Feedback from Reddit seems to indicate that the issue is largely affecting users that upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from a Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 Pro installation as part of the free upgrade program years ago.

Microsoft is aware of the issue and is sharing the following statement with concerned users:

Microsoft has just released an Emerging issue announcement about current activation issue related to Pro edition recently. This happens in Japan, Korea, American and many other countries. I am very sorry to inform you that there is a temporary issue with Microsoft's activation server at the moment and some customers might experience this issue where Windows is displayed as not activated.

Our engineers are working tirelessly to resolve this issue and it is expected to be corrected within one to two business days.

Aside from an annoying watermark, the issue doesn’t seem to be causing any major issues at the moment. The best course of action, as Microsoft has suggested, is to simply wait until a fix is ready. At that time, I suspect the issue will automatically work itself out and everyone will be able to move on.

This is the latest in a string of bugs causing headaches for Microsoft. In October, the tech giant paused the rollout of Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) due to a file deletion bug. A security update earlier this year caused issues with USB and onboard devices.

Permalink to story.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup I noticed it today.

Windows 7 Pro key > installed Windows 10 Pro over 2 years ago. Troubleshooter now claims my main system only has a Home license. Classic Microsoft.

Yuuuuuuuuuuuup I noticed it today.

Windows 7 Pro key > installed Windows 10 Pro over 2 years ago. Troubleshooter now claims my main system only has a Home license. Classic Microsoft.
Yep, got to work this morning, and after reading this article, quickly checked my workstation and behold......I need to connect to the Internet to activate windows. I recently migrated my home computers back to Windows 7 and haven't looked back. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this quickly, as I could see this getting ugly for businesses.

I did a clean install with a generic pro key, and then bought the license via the MS store. I did not upgrade for free from any other version and am having this issue.

I did a clean install with a generic pro key, and then bought the license via the MS store. I did not upgrade for free from any other version and am having this issue.
The issue is their current string of exposed ineptness, not anything users have done.

Eh I guess if u have a legit key around use a kms activator. honestly even if you don't I don't really care. if there's anything microsoft doesn't deserve money for windows 10 is definitely on the top of the list lol. such a trash operating system that needs literal hours of tweaking in order for it to run properly and to not be staring at your *** the whole time you're on the computer.

you know windows 10 has hidden registry settings that are set improperly by microsoft that hinders gaming/overall performance? among other things? jesus christ....the amount of tweaking and modding of **** I have to do the this OS. garbage lol.

I mean if you saw some guy staring at you through the bushes, would you go offer him some money for his hard work? didn't think so but giving it to micropenis is socially acceptable? right

Happened to my desktop PC this morning. It was a custom-built PC and came with Windows 8.1 Pro originally. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro a few years ago. Then last month, I just installed a new SSD and cloned my system disk to it, so I was wondering if it was the issue. I guess not. Hopefully Microsoft resolves this soon.

So far my laptop, my desktop, & my wife's work Surface Pro 4 are 100% unaffected by it.

Just so that readers don't think everyone's affected...

It may trigger at the next license check-in. Several new loads at work have been affected an a dozen or so machines on the floor.

Never got the issue or any of the others. I upgraded from 7 pro to 10 pro. No issues at all.

MS already has fixed for the issue.

I have a custom built PC with a full install of 10 Pro. I haven't turned it on for a several weeks. I only use it if I want to play a game or minor things. I won't be firing it up anytime soon. I suspect that because it isn't an upgrade, I should be fine, though.

such a trash operating system that needs literal hours of tweaking in order for it to run properly and to not be staring at your *** the whole time you're on the computer.

NO, You cannot tweak it to stop staring at your ***

Microsoft will still get in and do whatever they want behind your back

Everything except "Host process for Windows services" can be blocked in the firewall

If you block "Host process for Windows services", you lose Internet connectivity

You must allow "Host process for Windows services" which then allows Microsoft to update your computer with even more Spyware and Malware

You "MUST" agree to the extortionary/blackmail terms in the EULA to continue using Spyware Platform 10

The only real fix I've found was a link to Linux Mint

Got the activation message in Windows Server 2012 and Windows 10 right today. WTF. Fortunately the both were not deactivated and the message disappeared after a time. I don't know if it comes back later. LOL

Pretty sure this affected "MILLIONS" of users along with businesses…. "LIMITED" Microsoft says... -.-

Windows as a service is the dumbest thing Microsoft has ever tried. The previous model of periodic service packs worked and were usually well tested. Services break websites not your PC. An OS as a service breaks PC's. You cannot update an OS every six months and expect no problems. We have no choice but to have an installed Pro version and delay feature updates due to Microsoft's blunders. I couldn't imagine any business not baking in this delay in all of their installs. It's the only prudent thing to do.
https://www.howtogeek.com/395121/windows-isnt-a-service-its-an-operating-system/

Back