Microsoft launches IE6 countdown website

Emil

Staff

Microsoft has been struggling with its poor browser image ever since it stopped updating Internet Explorer for a few years. As a result, IE6 is by far the most hated browser in the world. Today, the software giant is taking a stand by launching "The Internet Explorer 6 Countdown" at theie6countdown.com.

Last month, IE6 had 12 percent of the worldwide browser market share pie, according to Net Applications. Microsoft wants to have that number reduced to less than 1 percent. The countdown website includes details of IE6 share by country, updated on a monthly basis; the software giant says it will celebrate as countries dip under the 1 percent mark. It also hosts resources for IT pros who have the power to upgrade their company away from IE6. There's even an option to encourage IE6 users to upgrade by displaying a countdown banner to them on your website.

"We're inviting everyone to share this site with friends, acquaintances, clients, and IT admins to see for themselves why even Microsoft thinks the world would be better off without IE6," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "Please join us in tracking the progress as we count down the market share of IE6. We've said it before and we'll say it again, IE6 was a great browser for its time, but we all need the web to move forward. Visit ie6countdown.com today, and help us say farewell to IE6!"

Internet Explorer 6 was released on August 27, 2001, shortly after the completion of Windows XP. On April 14, 2009, Microsoft retired Mainstream Support for XP, and with it, support for IE6. That said, Microsoft is not planning to retire Extended Support for the operating system until April 8, 2014. If the company ends up releasing XP SP4, it will retire support for SP3 (released in April 2008) two years later, or in April 2014, whichever comes first. In short, IE6 will continue to be officially supported by Microsoft for at least three more years. Despite the support options, Redmond still wants it to die.

Permalink to story.

well as a web designer / master thy should kill both IE6 and IE7 to make our life waaay easier :)

IE6 is my third choice for browser, just after Opera 10.63 and Firefox 3.6.3 and I don't have plans to update to the versions 7 or 8. Obviously I am a happy user of XP.
:)

IE6 was and is a great product!... Ten years and still keeps working!... The same that Windows XP.

Mozilla or Google should have a countdown for people to get off Internet Explorer altogether. After all, friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer.

TrekExpert said:
Mozilla or Google should have a countdown for people to get off Internet Explorer altogether. After all, friends don't let friends use Internet Explorer.
bahaha very true

IE6 is my third choice for browser, just after Opera 10.63 and Firefox 3.6.3 and I don't have plans to update to the versions 7 or 8. Obviously I am a happy user of XP.
:)
Does Opera 11 require Vista or 7? I doubt it would, so if it doesn't, why 10.63?

On both my XP machines I cannot in any way upgrade to IE 8 because neither PCs will connect once I install it. I have to revert back to 7. Why? I haven't a clue. Both machines predominantly use Firefox but if I want to continue to receive XP updates I need IE.

That's a problem with your rigs, not XP. My XP64 connects just fine with both x86 and x64 variants of IE8.

On both my XP machines I cannot in any way upgrade to IE 8 because neither PCs will connect once I install it. I have to revert back to 7. Why? I haven't a clue. Both machines predominantly use Firefox but if I want to continue to receive XP updates I need IE.

have you tried into IE9 RC?

the moment IE7 was launched I immediately installed it (from Beta 2 to RC2 and finally the final version). by that time i've already used firefox, but i cannot even stand having IE6 as my backup browser.

Have been using IE9 in both beta and RC and loving both. for me the offerings like Opera, Chrome and Firefox just dont cut the musterd, and oh yes I've tried them all.

Yeah, I realize it probably is with my rigs but I am not sweating it considering they run quite well.

As for IE9, I could be mistaking but I thought MS said it would not be compatible with XP. Someone with greater knowledge help me out.

There's a good chance that, just like Windows Live Messenger and Microsoft Security Essentials, it'll run just fine on all versions of XP, Vista and Win7, but the installer will prevent you from installing on XP64

Gotta love this statement from Eduard Johnson, NSRR:

"For all of those who has not seen a fully-functional HTML5-website with the truly beautiful CSS3 implemented: you're rather unfortunate - download Chrome, Safari and/or Opera, and experience the full beauty of the World Wide Web" :) .

IE9 FTW!!

Apart from give me a downloads shortcut icon plx microsoft :)

Short of having a mission-critical application that runs only on IE6, I can't think of any reason why anyone would still be using that antiquated browser. I very seldom run IE8 and only to connect to Windows Update.

Back