Microsoft might have a console-seller judging by the latest look at Starfield's gameplay

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Highly anticipated: To be fair, Bethesda has not been stingy with providing updates in the development of its next epic RPG Starfield. However, one thing we have not seen is any of its gameplay, for which fans have been clamoring. Well, clamor no more.

During Sunday's Xbox Game Showcase, hosted by Microsoft and Bethesda, developers finally revealed some of Starfield's gameplay (masthead). Until now, we've only seen some cinematic teasers, concept art, and background on "The Settled Systems." Yesterday's presentation gave a delicious look at character customization, shipbuilding, and combat, both on foot and in space.

Character customization appears more robust than in previous Bethesda RPGs, which is actually saying something because customization has been a strong point in games like Fallout and The Elder Scrolls. All the appearance settings you would expect are there. Choose to be fat, thin, big chested, ugly, handsome — it's a bit like Fallout 3's character appearance settings.

Additionally, the skills menus appear to be pretty deep. Players should be able to tweak a build to fit whatever playstyle they want. A few of the skill categories shown include Social, Combat, and Science. Each skill also has leveled ranks to allow specialization. We noted a few in the Combat tree: Sniper Certification, Targeting, Rapid Reloading, Heavy Weapons Certification, Demolitions, and Ballistics.

Of course, it wouldn't be a Bethesda game without crafting. Todd Howard didn't go deep into the crafting aspect, but it's safe to assume that making your own weapons will be at least as rewarding as Skyrim or Fallout 3.

Base-building in Starfield will be a bit like Fallout 3's settlements. You can hire NPCs to run and manage your outposts. However, in this case, you will actually build the colonies from the ground up. Land on a planet, harvest resources with your mining laser and construct to your heart's content. And that's not all you will build.

Arguably the most exciting feature is crafting your own ships. Starships are modular with several different components from various manufacturers in the game. Howard stopped short of saying ship configurations are infinite, but from what was shown, arrangements appear to be pretty vast.

Finally, there is the exploration aspect of the game. While it cannot come close to No Man's Sky's 18 quintillion procedurally-generated planets, Starfield has 100 star systems collectively containing over 1,000 planets that appear to be even more diverse than NMS. The worlds range in size from Earth-like to big gas giants like Jupiter, with 100 percent of the surface explorable. For those that have spent hundreds of hours exploring every inch of Skyrim, prepare to have your calendar filled trying to explore every nook and cranny of Starfield.

Starfield has suffered some delays, but Bethesda says it's shooting for a 2023 release date. From the looks of it, Microsoft's $7.5 billion investment in Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax could pay off in spades. Starfield is planned as an Xbox/PC exclusive, and it has all the trappings of a system-seller, which is something that Xbox needs.

Permalink to story.

Hopefully it's nothing like Skyrim....a world I found dull, tedious and boring.

I put maybe 10 hours into Skyrim and grew bored of it. It was a slightly less crappy version of Oblivion which I beat in a couple hours because you didn't have to level to beat the game. Now that MS has the reigns, maybe it will be something better than what Bethesda could pull off.....?

Guess we wait and see.

I put maybe 10 hours into Skyrim and grew bored of it. It was a slightly less crappy version of Oblivion which I beat in a couple hours because you didn't have to level to beat the game. Now that MS has the reigns, maybe it will be something better than what Bethesda could pull off.....?

Guess we wait and see.

So you played a huge, open world game and did nothing but the main quest. That's pretty sad, but somehow beating the final boss which is NOT scaled with level? Riiiight.

While most people are saying "Skyrim in space" the more appropriate term here is "Fallout 4 In space" since it seems like a continuation of that game's ideas: Yes you've got your open world and RPG elements but also lots of scavenging and base building stuff. It's an aspect of Fallout 4 that while by default is fairly poor, it was greatly enhanced by the modding community making it a fairly interesting kind of game so Bethesda was probably paying attention to that and had another dry-run they botched with Fallout 76 but some of the ideas are there too: Hobbo simulator.

Eh, didn't wow me enough to want it day 1. Might get it on sale eventually (or get GamePass), depends on my backlog lol

So you played a huge, open world game and did nothing but the main quest. That's pretty sad, but somehow beating the final boss which is NOT scaled with level? Riiiight.
You can beat the game without leveling or only going up a few levels (been a while since I played the game....back in 2006 when it came out, it's okay if you haven't done it. No need to get offended. The game was a joke.

I went back to Morrowind and enjoyed the world and gameplay there so much more. I put in hundreds of hours in Morrowind.

Oh, wow! This looks amazing! I can't wait for them to release this! Take my money... now!

Is what I said about Anthem, Cyberpunk 2077, etc, etc. Well not really TBH, but I'm sure that's the reaction that the developers of those games were going for with all the pre-release hype they were spewing. And we all know what happened there right?

Am I hoping that Starfield lives up to everything I've seen so far? Of course. Do I expect it to? Previous experiences has taught me that the hype is all part of the marketing game and we all need to take it with a grain of salt, one big enough to choke a horse. Remember this is the company that released Fallout 76 as well as Skyrim and Fallout 4... right?

I do know one thing. If this game comes even close to the hype? Well Chris Roberts and company will have a lot of splaining to do. Aw, who am I kidding, they'll just dangle a new ship or two to "pledge" for and the faithful will all jump back in line...

Yeah, this is just shill/marketing talk, in my opinion for Starfield aka StarSky76. What I watched was, after viewing it 3 times, a next-gen so-called game that's already outdated.

Many biomes/vegetations look airbrushed, in the worse way possible, after experiencing Epic's MetaHuman, StarSky76's character creation looks awful, like from the days of the 360-PS3 by comparison.

Serious framerate issues in many areas and everything just looks slow and dated, especially navigating the ship.

All these so-called discovery planets look like a boring feast and many of them will be just dead planets with nothing to do.

The main campaign story looks short or none existence but only missions to save people, scavenge areas, and other worthless/tedious tasks.

I see MS/Bethesda wanting to push A L O T of DLC for StarSky76 for months to come (but with no real value content compared to the GTA series, Assassin Creed, etc.) but all and all, StarSky76 just looks boring and the novelty of it will wear off fast and the only ones that would remain to play it are Skyrim's fans and/or modders after a very short time from its release.

Shelfware!

Last edited:
EA could bring out a MMO of Mass Effect and it would blow this out of the water imo.
One of the main issues with all MMOs is that many gamers refuse to be handcuffed to an always-online ecosystem that's tied to a predatory monetization platform.

There's a huge difference between a one-time, hours of full-valued story-driven content, expansion pack(s) purchase compared to TODAY's microtransactions DLC.

Last edited:
I was excited about it, but then I thought about it more and struggle to think how it will appeal to me.

One thing that is clear to me in gaming is, few games actually execute multi- mechanics well. One of the few reason why GTA has always been stupidly fun; the seamless transition between car gameplay and on-foot gameplay is underrated. People remember the borefest the Mako mission for Mass Effect could be. In Elden Ring, combat with horse just don't have the balance and depth as dismounted combat. Less we talk about the non-ship stuff of Elite Dangerous the better.

As a spaceship game enthusiast, so the back of my mind is, is Starfield going to be a better game on-foot, which is a realistic assumption given Bethseda's history, or will it be a better spaceship game. Or rather; is it a space game, or a spaceship game. I just don't have the faith they manage to do both given how rudimentary their gameplay has always been relative to the scale of the games they make.

Let us not forget that this is Bethesda. And a number of their open-world single-player experiences (I.e. Syrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV/4) were released as huge buggy messes that had to be patched by the community. Yes, I know that MS now owns Bethesda. But unless MS has essentially cleaned house at Bethesda, I expect this buggy trend to continue.

They can showcase all the cool looking pre-rendered scenes and "gameplay footage" all they want, but until the product reaches customers hands and performs as promised, I'll consider all this hype a standard PR exercise using smoke and mirrors.

Yes, I know that MS now owns Bethesda. But unless MS has essentially cleaned house at Bethesda, I expect this buggy trend to continue.

MS has already shown, in its honeymoon Zenimax buyout, that MS has no intentions of changing Bethesda's poor development practices.

I mean, just take a look at the overall response from MS over the overwhelmingly negative feedback from gamers about its Halo Infinite, which is MS's flagship franchise, but MS is still allowing 343i to destroy that franchise to the ground, just like the **OG** Gears Of War, intentionally!

MS is not really into gaming for gamers, you know?!

Last edited:
I mean you don't have Xbox either so? Sony fans are always so pathetic. It's so cute seeing them taste their own medicine :3

You do realize this game will be available for PCs and PCs have VR. There's also a VR version of Fallout 4; it's an even bigger buggy mess when campared to regular Fallout 4, but the VR option exists.

MS has already shown, in its honeymoon Zenimax buyout, that MS has no intentions of changing Bethesda's poor development practices.

I mean, just take a look at the overall response from MS over the overwhelmingly negative feedback from gamers about its Halo Infinite, which is MS's flagship franchise, but MS is still allowing 343i to destroy that franchise to the ground, just like the **OG** Gears Of War, intentionally!

MS is not really into gaming for gamers, you know?!
Not sure how you are concluding the "overwhelmingly negative feedback" concerning Halo Infinite. It currently has generally favorable reviews with a Metacritic score of 87 and user-based score of 8 out of 10 on the series X.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-series-x/halo-infinite

Not sure how you are concluding the "overwhelmingly negative feedback" concerning Halo Infinite. It currently has generally favorable reviews with a Metacritic score of 87 and user-based score of 8 out of 10 on the series X.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-series-x/halo-infinite
Seriously?! 🤣

You just lost all credibility by sourcing SHILL Metacritic which is very well-known to have PAID/SHILL reviews and scores! 😂

And, how in the heck, if everything were so wonderful with Halo, why did MS have to punkly hide and close up shop due to being scared and a coward to face gamers' negative feedback... again?! This is NOT MS's first-time being painted with the yellow-stripe going down its back when they've severely failed... again and again and...

Nice try, though... NOT! 😂🤣😂

Last edited:
Seriously?! 🤣

You just lost all credibility by sourcing SHILL Metacritic which is known to have PAID/SHILL reviews and scores! 😂

And, how in the heck, if everything were so wonderful with Halo, why did MS have to punkly hide and close up shop due to being scared and a coward to face gamers' negative feedback... again?! This is NOT MS's first-time being painted with the yellow-stripe going down its back when they've severely failed... again and again and...

Nice try... NOT! 😂🤣😂

Did you actually read the article you linked? The first line in the article states: "Moderators working on the Halo subreddit have put the community into lockdown following toxic behaviour - including doxxing and death threats - "on all sides"."

Closing a subreddit does not prove your point that either Metacritic is a SHILL or that Halo Infinite has "overwhelmingly negative feedback" as you state. It only points to a large proportion of immature and non-productive, hostile conversations occurring on the platform. Based on your response, I imagine your ideologies fit squarely into the reasons the moderators closed the subreddit. If you have some sort of actual proof you can cite, happy to take a look.

I am not saying that Halo Infinite doesn't have it's share of problems, just that your claims seem unfounded.

Halo Infinite is far from a failure for MS: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ute,copies and brought in almost $6 billion.

From the above cited article: "The full version went on sale Dec. 8 to positive initial reviews. “Halo Infinite can’t just be another Halo. It needs to be the Halo that exists in your imagination,” wrote CNET reviewer Mark Serrels. “And incredibly, against all odds, it pretty much is.”

Let me guess though, Bloomberg and CNET are SHILL publications as well......

Did you actually read the article you linked? The first line in the article states: "Moderators working on the Halo subreddit have put the community into lockdown following toxic behaviour - including doxxing and death threats - "on all sides"."

Closing a subreddit does not prove your point that either Metacritic is a SHILL or that Halo Infinite has "overwhelmingly negative feedback" as you state. It only points to a large proportion of immature and non-productive, hostile conversations occurring on the platform. Based on your response, I imagine your ideologies fit squarely into the reasons the moderators closed the subreddit. If you have some sort of actual proof you can cite, happy to take a look.

I am not saying that Halo Infinite doesn't have it's share of problems, just that your claims seem unfounded.

Halo Infinite is far from a failure for MS: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-08/how-microsoft-s-halo-infinite-went-from-disaster-to-triumph#:~:text=In July 2020, Microsoft Corp. showed a nine-minute,copies and brought in almost $6 billion.

From the above cited article: "The full version went on sale Dec. 8 to positive initial reviews. “Halo Infinite can’t just be another Halo. It needs to be the Halo that exists in your imagination,” wrote CNET reviewer Mark Serrels. “And incredibly, against all odds, it pretty much is.”

Let me guess though, Bloomberg and CNET are SHILL publications as well......

Did you even read the EXTRA links?! 😂🤣😂

And $6B? 🙄

MS do NOT even report its titles' sales numbers anymore (they are too embarrassed), FOR A WHILE now, so what does this have to do with Halo Infinite?! 🤔

You see? 🤣

You must work for MS, huh, because you are just full of disinformation, sadly.

Last edited:

Guess we wait and see.
You only played 10 hours of Skyrim?
Ha ha ha
While your overall play time falls behind someone that just started the game yesterday I can see how you got discouraged... you probably played on PS3?...that version was the worst.

Back