Microsoft reveals Office 2019 will only run on Windows 10 PCs

midian182

Staff member

Windows 10 might have surpassed Windows 7 in terms of global market share, but Microsoft is giving holdouts another reason to upgrade. The company has revealed that only those PCs running the latest version of its OS will be able to run the upcoming Office 2019, which was announced back in September.

In yesterday’s support article update, Microsoft said the beta apps for the next version of Office will arrive in the second quarter of this year, with the final version due in the second half of 2018. But when they do launch, PC owners who want the latest standalone Office apps, rather than the subscription-based Office 365, need either Windows 10 or the next Long-Term Servicing version of Windows Server.

The news is unlikely to be welcomed by the large number of businesses around the world who, for reasons such as cost and compatibility issues, still haven’t upgraded to Windows 10.

The move won’t affect Office for Mac, which is a separate product with a different release schedule, reports The Verge.

Additionally, Office 2019 is getting a shorter period of extended support. Like previous versions of Office, it will come with five years of standard support, but the extended support is being dropped from five extra years to just two. This will bring its end of life date to October 10, 2025, the same day that extended support for Microsoft Office 2016, the last version of the suite, ends.

Office 2019 includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook apps, as well as server versions of Skype for Business, Exchange, and SharePoint. It will feature a slew of improvements, including new inking features such as pressure sensitivity, ink replay, and tilt effects, as well as new formulas and charts in Excel and visual animation features for PowerPoint presentations. There will also be server enhancements that improve IT manageability, voice, usability, and security.

Permalink to story.

Shouldn't be as much of a problem, though. Chances are, if a business isn't looking at converting/upgrading to Windows 10 within the next 12 months, they're most likely not going to convert/upgrade to Office 2019 either. And it's not like this is the first time an OS maker (Microsoft, Apple, etc.) has said they won't make their latest application backwards-compatible with an OS that's 2 or more generations out-of-date.

Businesses will wait, as needed, to upgrade. Homeowners that don't use Outlook or Access should be able to use LibreOffice 6, set to save in MS formats. Version 6 works quite well for consumers and some small businesses. MS seems to intend to make Office 2019 the last version that does not require an annual subscription.

Businesses will wait, as needed, to upgrade. Homeowners that don't use Outlook or Access should be able to use LibreOffice 6, set to save in MS formats. Version 6 works quite well for consumers and some small businesses. MS seems to intend to make Office 2019 the last version that does not require an annual subscription.
^ Already made the jump. We have a family run small business and made the jump to LibreOffice a few years back. The #1 concern was compatibility for document sharing (DOCX vs ODT formatting differences when opened on other PC's), but PDF's pretty much solved that problem and literally not one single person in several years has asked for a DOCX invoice over a PDF. Saved us a few thousand in Office licensing, and everyone thinks the "old" 2003 Menu + Toolbar based UI was better and faster to use all along (no more extra unnecessary "ribbon" clicks needed to switch between Home / Insert / Format tabs when switching between creating then formatting inside a series of text boxes, etc).

We were initially concerned about making the change but looking back we haven't regretted it a single day, and it's almost laughable how many are still stuck in the "upgrade for the sake of upgrading" rat-race for business / personal usage that's relatively static year-on-year. It's a shame tech-sites don't have actual proper grown-up reviews of software suites anymore for those +95% of users / SME's who don't need online / collaboration / proprietary macro stuff. These days it's just the usual glorified gushing infomercials for anything MS / Adobe. And they can both shove their subscription model.

^ Already made the jump. We have a family run small business and made the jump to LibreOffice a few years back. The #1 concern was compatibility for document sharing (DOCX vs ODT formatting differences when opened on other PC's), but PDF's pretty much solved that problem and literally not one single person in several years has asked for a DOCX invoice over a PDF. Saved us a few thousand in Office licensing, and everyone thinks the "old" 2003 Menu + Toolbar based UI was better and faster to use all along (no more extra unnecessary "ribbon" clicks needed to switch between Home / Insert / Format tabs when switching between creating then formatting inside a series of text boxes, etc).

We were initially concerned about making the change but looking back we haven't regretted it a single day, and it's almost laughable how many are still stuck in the "upgrade for the sake of upgrading" rat-race for business / personal usage that's relatively static year-on-year. It's a shame tech-sites don't have actual proper grown-up reviews of software suites anymore for those +95% of users / SME's who don't need online / collaboration / proprietary macro stuff. These days it's just the usual glorified gushing infomercials for anything MS / Adobe. And they can both shove their subscription model.

I don't disagree, as I'm not a fan of either MS or Adobe, but I get a $10 perpetual license of Office through work every time it comes out. Sure, I spent $10 more than you, but I'm not having to futz with formatting or re-learning most of where everything is. I just wish Google Docs was more robust and had a decent Access alternative. It's about as perfect a free suite as I can find, but still lacks in features and capability in so many ways.

I am using WSP former KingSoft Office 2003 Free Suite. Still free.. Why do I need to run MS Office Ver XXXX and play this Office Monopoly game. The other TS Member is correct you can use any version of MS Office don't get fooled into buying versions you don't really need. I do have the latest one but I don't need it. WSP Word can do the same thing but less impact on the system. Anyway interesting story...

I don't disagree, as I'm not a fan of either MS or Adobe, but I get a $10 perpetual license of Office through work every time it comes out. Sure, I spent $10 more than you, but I'm not having to futz with formatting or re-learning most of where everything is. I just wish Google Docs was more robust and had a decent Access alternative. It's about as perfect a free suite as I can find, but still lacks in features and capability in so many ways.

For those not interested in leaving their precious document files in the hands of big companies like Google or Microsoft you can try Etherpad lite or nuclino that may be way to go than Google dock.

Oh NO!!!! Whatever will we do without.....

wait, what exactly is the point of newer office versions again? 99% of businesses dont use the features of office versions newer then 2003, except for the docx extensions, which work the same on 07 and above.

Why would you spend so much money on what is basically the exact same software?

Oh NO!!!! Whatever will we do without.....

wait, what exactly is the point of newer office versions again? 99% of businesses dont use the features of office versions newer then 2003, except for the docx extensions, which work the same on 07 and above.

Why would you spend so much money on what is basically the exact same software?
Don't pop numbers out of your behind because you have no idea how real companies work, please.

Sure if you are doing accountability in an sheet of course lotus office from the 90s will be enough...

That's all very nice and self-serving for Microsoft, in its continued efforts to get the world to use its Windows 10 spyware that offers no procedure to recover from a system hosed by a Windows 10 update AND preserve all data AND preserve all programs installed. (Yes, I had to deal with a hosed Win 10 system this week, and I took photos to document the mess Microsoft caused.) But I need to know if and when Windows 10 will stop running the Office 2003 I currently use? Will Microsoft treat LibreOffice as a virus infecting their oh so precious operating system?

Microsoft is rapidly becoming the least relevant company in all of computing. If not for Azure and their Outlook lock-in I doubt anyone would even mourn their passing. You can easily re-code office apps for anything thanks to increasing containerization and universal libraries, and games aren't that much harder if the truth be told. I say screw Microsoft - they had it all and squandered it through arrogance, greed and putting a bunch of SJW mooncalfs in charge.

WPS Writer , comes with MS Word, MS Excel WPS Spreadsheet and PowerPoint WPS Presentation Clone again you can use docx or doc supports all versions of MS Office. Save and create PDF of your word doc. Again it has a lot of features for free there is a pro version but again I don't need it. MS Office is nice but again you use what you need to... All my systems here run this software on the Windows 10 tablet also. Can be used on Android too.. Microsoft is not going away anytime soon friends. Our gift from them for all these years was Windows 10 upgrade for free for licensed genuine copies and new/old PCs running 7-up. I always feel with MS we are all beta testers testing OS Client/Server versions and Office Suites. We work for free usage.

WPS Writer , comes with MS Word, MS Excel WPS Spreadsheet and PowerPoint WPS Presentation Clone again you can use docx or doc supports all versions of MS Office. Save and create PDF of your word doc. Again it has a lot of features for free there is a pro version but again I don't need it. MS Office is nice but again you use what you need to... All my systems here run this software on the Windows 10 tablet also. Can be used on Android too.. Microsoft is not going away anytime soon friends. Our gift from them for all these years was Windows 10 upgrade for free for licensed genuine copies and new/old PCs running 7-up. I always feel with MS we are all beta testers testing OS Client/Server versions and Office Suites. We work for free usage.
Exactly! Microsoft gave away Windows 10 to have an unlimited supply of beta testers. And the Windows 10 updates still manage to render computers useless, which is why everyone is a beta tester.

Exactly! Microsoft gave away Windows 10 to have an unlimited supply of beta testers. And the Windows 10 updates still manage to render computers useless, which is why everyone is a beta tester.
Hey at least they fix the HDMI audio bug in AMD CPU/APU. I lost all my 7.1 surround from my PC's desktop/laptop with HDMI the only fix was to use DVI to HDMI to Optical Audio. I can go back to what I was using now. Windows 10 I like it because it can use all the CPU, GPU, APU and RAM all of it instead of just 16 GB in prior 7. 32 GB or higher. I never cared for Windows 7 limits and drivers issues. Windows 10 solved that for me. Sure 10 like 7 not 100% there yet. Will it ever be? Who knows with MS it all about money not about the product.... LOL

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-the-maximum-memory-ram-limit-for-64-bit-windows-7
Here are the upper RAM limits for the different editions of Windows 7 64-bit:
  • Starter : 2GB
  • Home Basic : 8GB
  • Home Premium : 16GB
  • Professional: 192GB
  • Enterprise : 192GB
  • Ultimate : 192GB
If you didn't want the 16GB memory limit, there was an easy solution. Windows 7 Pro wasn't limited until 192GB memory.

Other link - https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

Last edited:
Ms have LOST so much public backing with 365 subscription based nonsence, I cant speak for corporate.
im still on windows 7 using office 2003,

It's funny, everyone is talking from their behinds like it Microsoft is going bankrupt because as home users they pirate it through piratebay or something. Home usage is just a side thing for them, they don't care about YOU, YOU are nothing to them (Myself included). Their real business is... business!

So stop embarrassing yourselves and just shut up. Heck, all those Windows 10 naysayers... it already surpassed W7. YOU don't like it, fine, but it's just that... YOU.

Micro$lop is great at figuring out ways to generate income and reach into our pockets.

I dont really give a crap about the new Word. Why? I have two computers: one with win7 and the other with Linux Ubuntu. I use LibreOffice great free product.

I will do my best to separate myself from scheming money grabbing companies who give little back in return for my hard earned money.

Back