Microsoft reveals pricing for Xbox One controllers, wireless headsets

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft xbox controller headset xbox one

Microsoft on Monday revealed pricing for two key accessories for their upcoming Xbox One console, additional controllers and official Xbox-branded wireless headsets. The base console will come with just one controller and no headset meaning if you want to chat with friends online, you’ll need to shell out some extra money to do so.

Each extra controller will sell for $59.99, a Play and Charge kit will command $25 and the wireless headset will set you back another $24.99. Alternately, you can purchase a controller and the Play and Charge kit as a bundle for $75 – a $10 savings over buying both separately. It’s worth pointing out that existing Xbox 360 controllers, headsets and games will not be compatible with the new console.

microsoft xbox controller headset xbox one

Microsoft’s Xbox One will retail for $499, a full $100 more than Sony’s PlayStation 4 at $399. Microsoft’s system will ship with a Kinect camera, however, as the accessory is required to use the console. Sony’s PlayStation Camera is sold as an optional accessory for $59.99. Extra PlayStation 4 controllers will also sell for $59.99 and just like the Xbox One, existing hardware won’t be compatible with the new system.

A “Day One” 12-month subscription to Xbox Live is also pegged at $60, or roughly the same MSRP as current memberships for the Xbox 360. There doesn’t appear to be any clues pointing to a family share plan just yet but that could change as we inch closer to launch.

That said, pre-orders are now being accepted for Xbox One controllers, the Play and Charge kit and wireless headsets at a number of retailers including Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop and the Microsoft Store.

Permalink to story.

No surprises here. No reason yet to go xbox over PS4, apart from blatant fanboyism. Better hardware, prices, and some nice exclusives.

Of course, if kinect or halo 42 mean that much to you, then the xbox is your thing I suppose.

Why the hell isn't a wired headset included?! Sony's including one and its considerably cheaper?

Well done Microsoft, still proving you think we're completely stupid...

Why the hell isn't a wired headset included?! Sony's including one and its considerably cheaper?

Well done Microsoft, still proving you think we're completely stupid...
It's whiny, self-entitled "gamers" like you that annoy me most. It isn't included because they are betting the Kinect 2.0 will do a decent enough job for people that don't want a headset (or don't want a cheap one). It's not like they aren't including a mic at all -_-
And then Sony is including 1 earbud with their PS4, so it's not much to brag about...

Whoa whoa whoa... why don't Sony's old controllers work with PS4?? I can understand Xbox 360 controllers not working, due to the 2.4GHz proprietary spectrum that has changed (or something), but PS3 controllers are bluetooth! Is PS4 controller not? The things should still work.

I guess that's a valid point. The controllers are probably making the bulk of their profits as it is.

Sony has been the console peripheral addon king since the first PlayStation. They charged you for memory cards when the XBOX had an internal HDD. The only reason to get an XBOX memory card was to take your LIVE account to a friends, or use it and a controller to softmod the console. Didn't Sony even charge for that stupid stand? Didn't they charge your for a peripheral just so you could get online, when XBOX had it integrated into the console? Don't even get me started on the cheapskates totally against paying $60 a YEAR, for online play.

Some people...

Yes Stickman - the 360 controller uses a different wireless system so no backward compatibility and the PS4 has different buttons and track pad things, and colored LED's for move etc, so I guess they didn't want to encourage use of old controllers as this would prevent use of these new bits.

I really hope they allow wheels to work tho as I have a nice Fanatec wheel and would be gutted if the thing was useless.

Sony has been the console peripheral addon king since the first PlayStation. They charged you for memory cards when the XBOX had an internal HDD. The only reason to get an XBOX memory card was to take your LIVE account to a friends, or use it and a controller to softmod the console. Didn't Sony even charge for that stupid stand? Didn't they charge your for a peripheral just so you could get online, when XBOX had it integrated into the console? Don't even get me started on the cheapskates totally against paying $60 a YEAR, for online play.

Some people...
What the hell are you on about? The Xbox 360 when it first came out needed an extra wireless adapter, battery packs cost extra as did charging them. Then their was their hard drive prices, because you couldn't put in any old 2.5 inch drive they must be making a killing on that. I do believe Microsoft have now stopped supporting their memory cards completely, that was a waste of money if you invested in it to begin with, I also do believe even to this day that Xbox 360's do not come with HDMI cables or even Component cables anymore? Then there's Xbox Live Gold costing, but not actually getting much out of it.

Now for the PlayStation, they did release a stand for their PlayStation 2/2slim and I think 3slim? but you don't HAVE to get it, you don't HAVE to use there's either and yes, if you really want you could make your own as well. PlayStation also charged quite a lot for higher model versions yet it was cheaper to buy a lower model and stick your own (and usually faster) 2.5inch hard drive. PlayStation also didn't come with the right cables. The argument versus PS2 memory cards and Xbox internal hard drive is a bit harsh considering the xbox was released years after the ps2 was.

Now things have moved on, Microsoft has built-in the wireless (although the adapter isn't quite as good) and the internal hard drives hold more. PlayStation has moved on by lowering the price substantially and making their console smaller and quieter, and lets not get into the failure rates of both consoles. But have the controllers with built-in battery packs and the fact the console didn't need wireless adapters the whole time is a big plus and over here in the UK a battery pack (with charge cable) is £15, the wireless adapter I believe was £30 and then a HDMI was £5, on the PlayStation side, you only need to get a HDMI cable.

It's whiny, self-entitled "gamers" like you that annoy me most. It isn't included because they are betting the Kinect 2.0 will do a decent enough job for people that don't want a headset (or don't want a cheap one). It's not like they aren't including a mic at all -_-
And then Sony is including 1 earbud with their PS4, so it's not much to brag about...

What the hell are you on about?! I'm not self entitled thank you very much, simply put, I do not want a Kinect, I don't want to shout at my TV, I also don't want to play games jumping all over the place. Also, I have friends who use 5.1 surround sounds, are you telling me the Kinect won't get feedback or echo issues if I'm playing halo with a friend? I would rather they released a cheaper model without the Kinect and put a headset in, even if it was cheap, I can guarantee you more people would buy it over a model with Kinect, most people don't have the luxury of space where they play their video games and don't have the luxury of huge amounts of money but still want to play video games.

The last Gen I got an Xbox 360 and now the new Gen is coming out I regret it, this time round, I won't be making the same mistake.

I forgot how expensive technology is, especially controllers. I don't think I bought my first until I found one for 39.99 on newegg last year lol

The controller is definitely pricey but this is not unusual for a new Microsoft product. Hopefully the price will go down after the console launches but I really want a wired version of this controller for the PC. Then I'll be happy :).

What the hell are you on about?! I'm not self entitled thank you very much, simply put, I do not want a Kinect, I don't want to shout at my TV, I also don't want to play games jumping all over the place. Also, I have friends who use 5.1 surround sounds, are you telling me the Kinect won't get feedback or echo issues if I'm playing halo with a friend? I would rather they released a cheaper model without the Kinect and put a headset in, even if it was cheap, I can guarantee you more people would buy it over a model with Kinect, most people don't have the luxury of space where they play their video games and don't have the luxury of huge amounts of money but still want to play video games.
"I do not want..." "I don't want to..." "I also do not want to..." Just because you do not want it, doesn't mean nobody wants it. If you do not want to use the Kinect as a game mic, go get something worth your while...
And they have added a few directional mics in the Kinect. What does that mean? I am guessing that it will be smart about picking up and filtering sound, but I cannot test it out (yet) to say if it sucks or works great.
But lastly, the Kinect is part of the XB1's standard hardware and experience (whether you like it or not). They won't be releasing a non-Kinect version because of that.

"I do not want..." "I don't want to..." "I also do not want to..." Just because you do not want it, doesn't mean nobody wants it. If you do not want to use the Kinect as a game mic, go get something worth your while...
And they have added a few directional mics in the Kinect. What does that mean? I am guessing that it will be smart about picking up and filtering sound, but I cannot test it out (yet) to say if it sucks or works great.
But lastly, the Kinect is part of the XB1's standard hardware and experience (whether you like it or not). They won't be releasing a non-Kinect version because of that.

Ok, agreed I say me a lot but I seriously don't know anyone here in the UK who wants it, I hand on heart don't, I go to a lot of LAN party's and meet ups and I play a lot of games, pretty much everyone I meet (apart from the odd person who usually was misinformed in the first place) does not like the idea of being forced to use the Kinect. It may just be an American thing because over their they get to use it for shouting commands to change TV channels but over here I'm really struggling to find anyone who's prepared to pay the higher price for a device they don't want, some actually want the console (and those who get all the major consoles) but cannot justify a £70 ($107)price hike from the PS4 for a less powerful console and a Kinect sensor they don't want to use, I (and a lot of other people I have discussed this with) wouldn't mind the Kinect being bundled if you didn't have to have it plugged in. If this wasn't a requirement they would get a considerable boost of respect and probably some sales. Windows 8 is proof people do not like being forced into something they are not comfortable with, this is the same thing.

What the hell are you on about? The Xbox 360 when it first came out needed an extra wireless adapter, battery packs cost extra as did charging them. Then their was their hard drive prices, because you couldn't put in any old 2.5 inch drive they must be making a killing on that. I do believe Microsoft have now stopped supporting their memory cards completely, that was a waste of money if you invested in it to begin with, I also do believe even to this day that Xbox 360's do not come with HDMI cables or even Component cables anymore? Then there's Xbox Live Gold costing, but not actually getting much out of it.

Now for the PlayStation, they did release a stand for their PlayStation 2/2slim and I think 3slim? but you don't HAVE to get it, you don't HAVE to use there's either and yes, if you really want you could make your own as well. PlayStation also charged quite a lot for higher model versions yet it was cheaper to buy a lower model and stick your own (and usually faster) 2.5inch hard drive. PlayStation also didn't come with the right cables. The argument versus PS2 memory cards and Xbox internal hard drive is a bit harsh considering the xbox was released years after the ps2 was.

Now things have moved on, Microsoft has built-in the wireless (although the adapter isn't quite as good) and the internal hard drives hold more. PlayStation has moved on by lowering the price substantially and making their console smaller and quieter, and lets not get into the failure rates of both consoles. But have the controllers with built-in battery packs and the fact the console didn't need wireless adapters the whole time is a big plus and over here in the UK a battery pack (with charge cable) is £15, the wireless adapter I believe was £30 and then a HDMI was £5, on the PlayStation side, you only need to get a HDMI cable.

FIRST!, how many headsets does the PS3 come with? How many come with a 360? Can you talk to your friends that aren't in the same game as you? No? WTF!!! What ***** thought that was a good idea? XBOX one had HDD, so if the stand was not necessary, then neither was a HDD upgrade. Wireless controllers use "AA" batteries, so if that is an issue, then buy wired and keep us in the stone ages. XBOX one had Ethernet built in. The 360 has ethernet standard, and WiFi came later in the "S" systems. And it does in fact come with a component and A/V combo cable. Even if they didn't, how is that any different than buying a monitor without them. It's really not that hard to get an HDMI cable for $10. If that is an issue, then maybe the real issues is lack of money, or having your mind already set on the console that does include them. XBOX HDD is irrelevant because PS2 had a headstart? Boo-effin-hoo-hoo for Playstation users then. Sony wishes their PSN was as successful or as good as XBOX LIVE.

PS, Companies only lower their prices when price matching isn't bringing in enough revenue.

See: AMD.

FIRST!, how many headsets does the PS3 come with? How many come with a 360? Can you talk to your friends that aren't in the same game as you? No? WTF!!! What ***** thought that was a good idea?

Slow down there cow boy, I'm not standing up for the PS3, I agree its launch was sh*t, That's why, even to this day, have never purchased a PS3 with my own money but I have purchased 2 Xbox 360's. But on a side note, the headset's that came with the Xbox 360 were painful to wear and the sound quality was abysmal. PS3 allowed you to use any Bluetooth headset as long as it was compatible with certain standards, But your right, the ps3 didn't come with any.

XBOX one had HDD, so if the stand was not necessary, then neither was a HDD upgrade.

What? I know Xbox had a HDD, It didn't need a stand? neither did the PS2 (Sony just liked to sell you one, and the PS2 slim was kinda hard to balance on its side), PS2 had memory cards because it came out at a lower price point and 2-3 years earlier, its not a failing, Xbox was just ahead of its time, Note, I LOVED my Xbox, It's what partially swayed me to get a 360.

Wireless controllers use "AA" batteries, so if that is an issue, then buy wired and keep us in the stone ages.

Again, really confused here, the PS3 bought in wireless controllers to the PlayStation for the first time and had battery packs built into the controllers, this saved money and resources rather than getting AA's or extra battery packs which is the route Microsoft took? Not really a lot to argue there, both are facts, It is nice to see Microsoft have caught on and built in the battery packs to the Xbox One controllers though.

XBOX one had Ethernet built in. The 360 has ethernet standard, and WiFi came later in the "S" systems.

Yeah, I know it did, I used it, What I was saying that if you wanted wireless on the Xbox when it came out you HAD to pay extra and it was a considerable amount at that. The PS2 also had built-in Ethernet on the Slim and the PS3 had Ethernet and wireless since birth.

it does in fact come with a component and A/V combo cable. Even if they didn't, how is that any different than buying a monitor without them. It's really not that hard to get an HDMI cable for $10. If that is an issue, then maybe the real issues is lack of money,

Yeah but since HDMI cables are so cheap, why not get rid of the component cable and only have a HDMI and composite cables? It's only a niggle but another thing you'd need to buy separately, that's what I was trying to get across, yeah Sony are bad at selling you loads of extra peripheral's but Microsoft is no shining example either which felt was being implied and therefore here I am commenting back.

or having your mind already set on the console that does include them. XBOX HDD is irrelevant because PS2 had a headstart? Boo-effin-hoo-hoo for Playstation users then. Sony wishes their PSN was as successful or as good as XBOX LIVE.
Meh, I don't believe the PS3 came with a HDMI cable when it first came out and I don't think it does now. I was not saying the Xbox's HDD was irrelevant at all, I was simply saying it's a bit harsh to compare it as "inferior" to the PS2 memory card system because of the age gap, that's like saying the SNES memory cartridges are inferior to PS1 CD's and you'd be right, but the PS1 came out way after and therefore had the better technology. And yeah, PSN isn't as good as Microsoft's, but Sony are now charging for online play with the PS4, wanna bet it will be just as crap on the PS4? besides Sony has already proven paying them for an online service actually gets you some kind of reward, in all the years I paid for Xbox Live Gold I not once got a free game or a seriously good deal because I had a gold account. Now Sony are charging for Online play I'm happy to bet they will increase the quality of PSN massively, and before you say it, yes, PS2's online was a bit **** xD

PS, Companies only lower their prices when price matching isn't bringing in enough revenue.

See: AMD.

So you reckon Microsoft are price matching the Xbox One?

Slow down there cow boy, I'm not standing up for the PS3, I agree its launch was sh*t, That's why, even to this day, have never purchased a PS3 with my own money but I have purchased 2 Xbox 360's. But on a side note, the headset's that came with the Xbox 360 were painful to wear and the sound quality was abysmal. PS3 allowed you to use any Bluetooth headset as long as it was compatible with certain standards, But your right, the ps3 didn't come with any.

What? I know Xbox had a HDD, It didn't need a stand? neither did the PS2 (Sony just liked to sell you one, and the PS2 slim was kinda hard to balance on its side), PS2 had memory cards because it came out at a lower price point and 2-3 years earlier, its not a failing, Xbox was just ahead of its time, Note, I LOVED my Xbox, It's what partially swayed me to get a 360.

Again, really confused here, the PS3 bought in wireless controllers to the PlayStation for the first time and had battery packs built into the controllers, this saved money and resources rather than getting AA's or extra battery packs which is the route Microsoft took? Not really a lot to argue there, both are facts, It is nice to see Microsoft have caught on and built in the battery packs to the Xbox One controllers though.

Yeah, I know it did, I used it, What I was saying that if you wanted wireless on the Xbox when it came out you HAD to pay extra and it was a considerable amount at that. The PS2 also had built-in Ethernet on the Slim and the PS3 had Ethernet and wireless since birth.

Yeah but since HDMI cables are so cheap, why not get rid of the component cable and only have a HDMI and composite cables? It's only a niggle but another thing you'd need to buy separately, that's what I was trying to get across, yeah Sony are bad at selling you loads of extra peripheral's but Microsoft is no shining example either which felt was being implied and therefore here I am commenting back.

Meh, I don't believe the PS3 came with a HDMI cable when it first came out and I don't think it does now. I was not saying the Xbox's HDD was irrelevant at all, I was simply saying it's a bit harsh to compare it as "inferior" to the PS2 memory card system because of the age gap, that's like saying the SNES memory cartridges are inferior to PS1 CD's and you'd be right, but the PS1 came out way after and therefore had the better technology. And yeah, PSN isn't as good as Microsoft's, but Sony are now charging for online play with the PS4, wanna bet it will be just as crap on the PS4? besides Sony has already proven paying them for an online service actually gets you some kind of reward, in all the years I paid for Xbox Live Gold I not once got a free game or a seriously good deal because I had a gold account. Now Sony are charging for Online play I'm happy to bet they will increase the quality of PSN massively, and before you say it, yes, PS2's online was a bit **** xD

So you reckon Microsoft are price matching the Xbox One?

You're drunk. Sleep it off and it will all make sense tomorrow.

Back