Microsoft rolls out night mode for Xbox Insiders

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Microsoft is currently testing a night mode option with select Xbox Insider members. Some could argue that these quality of life improvements are long overdue, but at least Microsoft is finally addressing them.

The new feature can be found in the settings menu for Xbox Insiders participating in the Alpha Skip-Ahead ring, an “invite only” program that allows members to test future Xbox OS builds. As highlighted in a quick demo from The Verge’s Tom Warren, users with access to night mode can adjust the brightness of their display as well as how much blue light to filter out.

Additional options include the ability to disable HDR and modify your overall theme. These options can be toggled manually or set to activate on a schedule.

Brightness options even carry over to the controller and the console so you can dim the associated LEDs accordingly.

The idea here is to help make it easier to fall asleep after gaming, but such features could also be handy if you’re sharing a space with someone else who is trying to get some shut-eye (think dorm or other roommate situation).

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, we can probably expect to see this feature trickle down through the various preview channels over the coming weeks or months before debuting as an official feature on all Xbox consoles in a future update.

Permalink to story.

I know it‘s getting old, but an ‚available‘ mode would be nice, as well. Series S is and if it had an optical drive (majority of my games are disc based), I would get one.

I know it‘s getting old, but an ‚available‘ mode would be nice, as well. Series S is and if it had an optical drive (majority of my games are disc based), I would get one.

Series S is going to age like milk in comparison to PS5 and XSX. It has less than 40% of the graphics power of PS5, too little SSD and no optical drive. It's mostly made with Last Gen Games and Game Pass in mind I guess.. Upgrade the SSD and the money you saved on getting the S version is pretty much lost..

Going digital only (this means PS5 Digital Edition AND Series S) is going to more expensive for most people, since physical games are still way cheaper on average.. Unless stores have sale, games on both PS5 and Xbox uses standard pricing (keeping the launch price, unless sale), which is not the case for physical games (stores compete on pricing etc.

I might get a PS5 Slim if/when it launches (with 4k bluray still) or Xbox Series X at some point when price goes way down and they actually have truly next gen games.

Right now they seem rather pointless. Both platforms lacks system sellers aka true next gen exclusives and both platforms still have software issues or lacks features.

Getting a brand new console on launch is rarely a good idea. First 1-2 years are mostly boring, in terms of games and software issues still needs to get fixed + prices are much higher on launch, especially if you pay scalper-prices...

Last edited:
Series S is going to age like milk in comparison to PS5 and XSX. It has less than 40% of the graphics power of PS5, too little SSD and no optical drive. It's mostly made with Last Gen Games and Game Pass in mind I guess.. Upgrade the SSD and the money you saved on getting the S version is pretty much lost..

Going digital only (this means PS5 Digital Edition AND Series S) is going to more expensive for most people, since physical games are still way cheaper on average.. Unless stores have sale, games on both PS5 and Xbox uses standard pricing (keeping the launch price, unless sale), which is not the case for physical games (stores compete on pricing etc.

I might get a PS5 Slim if/when it launches (with 4k bluray still) or Xbox Series X at some point when price goes way down and they actually have truly next gen games.

Right now they seem rather pointless. Both platforms lacks system sellers aka true next gen exclusives and both platforms still have software issues or lacks features.

Getting a brand new console on launch is rarely a good idea. First 1-2 years are mostly boring, in terms of games and software issues still needs to get fixed + prices are much higher on launch, especially if you pay scalper-prices...
I'm not sure why ANYONE would rush out for a current gen system. The last gen sucked when it came to exclusives, and for the next few years cross generation will be the norm. And seriously, $600 for a console is a rip off, just as much as it was a rip off back in the 90s with the 3d0

Also, insert "nuh uh, consoles have lots of sales too and actually its cheaper then buying games on PC, checkmate PC plebs!!!11!"

I'm not sure why ANYONE would rush out for a current gen system. The last gen sucked when it came to exclusives, and for the next few years cross generation will be the norm. And seriously, $600 for a console is a rip off, just as much as it was a rip off back in the 90s with the 3d0

Also, insert "nuh uh, consoles have lots of sales too and actually its cheaper then buying games on PC, checkmate PC plebs!!!11!"

PS4 had many exclusives, some have come to PC, but it took many years and half of them still are not on PC. I have had many good hours on my PS4 Pro + 65 inch OLED TV thats for sure, exclusive games and indie titles only.

Xbox One on the other hand, had no exclusives. And Xbox Series X/S won't get any either, all come to Windows. I have a Xbox One X collecting dust. Won it.

This is why most PC gamers go with Playstation (and/or Nintendo). Best combo, you can pretty much play it all.

Console gets a focus from many game dev's, because there's more sales on this platform (most of the time, that is). This is why Rockstar, for example, heavily prioritizes console. No piracy and more people willing to actually pay for games.

I love PC gaming tho. But I hate the DRM we often get, that lowers performance etc.

FPS dips because of crappy DRM is the worst thing ever..

Last edited:
PS4 had many exclusives, some have come to PC, but it took many years and half of them still are not on PC. I have had many good hours on my PS4 Pro + 65 inch OLED TV thats for sure, exclusive games and indie titles only.

Xbox One on the other hand, had no exclusives. And Xbox Series X/S won't get any either, all come to Windows. I have a Xbox One X collecting dust. Won it.
The PS4's exclusive library cant hold a candle to the PS3 library. Both in quantity and quality, the PS4's library was a disgrace, with some of the better games getting a PC release as you noted. So unless spiderman and god of war are THAT amazing to you (And TLOU2 if you like Druckkman's wet dream fantasies) the PS4 had little to offer.

Console gets a focus from many game dev's, because there's more sales on this platform (most of the time, that is). This is why Rockstar, for example, heavily prioritizes console. No piracy and more people willing to actually pay for games.
Sales from steam have repeatedly dunked on this theory. "muh piracy" is straight out of 2007.

I love PC gaming tho. But I hate the DRM we often get, that lowers performance etc.

FPS dips because of crappy DRM is the worst thing ever..
Playing games at 23 FPS because the console cant even maintain 30 FPS constant, let alone 60, is a far worse experience.

Fair enough. I have both. The quick resume in Xbox series X is great (several games that load in seconds to exactly where I left them) as is gaming on a sofa when I don’t feel like any more mouse and keyboard after a day working from home using a mouse and keyboard.

Back