Microsoft sells 750,000 Xbox 360 consoles during Thanksgiving week

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sales of Microsoft’s venerable Xbox 360 gaming console continue to climb despite the fact that it recently celebrated its seventh birthday on November 22. Xbox Live director of programming Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb has announced that Redmond managed to sell 750,000 systems during Thanksgiving week.

This is nearly double the amount of Nintendo Wii U consoles that sold during the same period. Nintendo managed to sell roughly 400,000 systems this past week. For further comparison, Microsoft sold 270,000 consoles in October. It’s impressive considering the 360 is reaching the end of its life cycle and will likely be replaced as early as next year.

The tally counted sales from November 18th through Black Friday on November 23. According to Hryb, sales exceeded Microsoft’s own internal forecasts. Games like Halo 4 and discounted accessory bundles helped to push the 360 to new heights, we’re told.

Furthermore, Microsoft sold almost twice as many three-month subscriptions to Xbox Live as they did during the same time period last year.

If you’re thinking that everyone who purchased a new Xbox did so with intentions to save it as a gift for the holidays, you’d probably be wrong. Xbox Live data shows that more than 14 million people were logged into the service this past Sunday alone. Users accounted for more than 72 million hours of use in just one day.

Not everyone was busy playing the latest and greatest games, however. A large portion of people were using the service to consume media. According to Hryb, Xbox Live saw a 43 percent increase in entertainment application usage year over year.

Permalink to story.

Mainly im an Xbox guy but I still think im going for the playstation 4 but atm im still thinking about it seeing that the xbox 720 will be having some gr8 upgrades but its a good thing that the xbox is now actually becoming a well playing rival for playstation in the markets

Its a shame that most of these new players will consists of trash talking 12 year olds playing Call of Duty. It makes me sad to think thats the next generation. I grew up with legos, they grew up screaming ath their parents to let them play the iphone in a grocery store.

Its a shame that most of these new players will consists of trash talking 12 year olds playing Call of Duty. It makes me sad to think thats the next generation. I grew up with legos, they grew up screaming ath their parents to let them play the iphone in a grocery store.

Really? You're going to generalize an entire generation?

Comparing sales of Xbox 360 to Wii U is misleading. Nintendo sold out of every single Wii U. 400,000 units is the maximum they had on hand that week. Most analysts in the industry actually think a lot of people who wanted to buy Wii Us for their kids ended up getting Xbox 360 and PS3s because of Wii U shortages. It's amazing to me people would drop $200 on a 7 year old Xbox when the new one is coming out next year. I guess they don't follow tech? For me as a PC gamer, the Xbox was the least interesting console this generation, and the $50 a year for Xbox Live made it even more of a rip-off against PS3.

I bought one last week for Netflix, Hulu, MLB.TV and NBA. Screw gaming. The copy of Skyrim that came with it is unplayable with that hand held controller.

Comparing sales of Xbox 360 to Wii U is misleading. Nintendo sold out of every single Wii U. 400,000 units is the maximum they had on hand that week. Most analysts in the industry actually think a lot of people who wanted to buy Wii Us for their kids ended up getting Xbox 360 and PS3s because of Wii U shortages. It's amazing to me people would drop $200 on a 7 year old Xbox when the new one is coming out next year. I guess they don't follow tech? For me as a PC gamer, the Xbox was the least interesting console this generation, and the $50 a year for Xbox Live made it even more of a rip-off against PS3.
At best call it a wash. Scalpers can't dump these Wii U's like they had anticipated. So between the ones that scalped and the ones who wanted one but couldn't find, I call it a wash at best. Word is, Wii U is quite findable in my region. Second of all, Wii U fanbois should know it best, its not about hardware, its about software. Sure the hardcore peeps won't touch something that hasn't come out within the last month but for the silent majority of us, we love the **** out of playing great games at cheap prices. We don't turn our noses up at something just cause its not as popular anymore. We would prefer to drop 200 on a 7th gen console because we'll be able to afford at least 3 times as much content as you can with your Wii U and its overpriced games.

At best call it a wash. Scalpers can't dump these Wii U's like they had anticipated. So between the ones that scalped and the ones who wanted one but couldn't find, I call it a wash at best. Word is, Wii U is quite findable in my region. Second of all, Wii U fanbois should know it best, its not about hardware, its about software. Sure the hardcore peeps won't touch something that hasn't come out within the last month but for the silent majority of us, we love the **** out of playing great games at cheap prices. We don't turn our noses up at something just cause its not as popular anymore. We would prefer to drop 200 on a 7th gen console because we'll be able to afford at least 3 times as much content as you can with your Wii U and its overpriced games.

Totally agree, just because it's new and expensive doesn't mean it's the best. I still play the hell out of my original xbox, and ps2. I have a ps3 and am still waiting to get a 360. I'm going to playing awesome games for half the price while the Wii fanboys are QQ'ing all over the place.

Back