Microsoft sends DMCA takedown notices to sites sharing Windows 11

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The internet is awash with the Windows 11 ISO, leading to several sites publishing hands-on looks at the next OS before its official reveal on Thursday, and Microsoft isn't happy. The Redmond firm has issued a number of DMCA takedown notices to anyone sharing "a leaked copy of the unreleased Windows 11."

Microsoft heavily hinted at the existence of Windows 11 with the release of an 11-minute video of Windows sounds. There's also the fact that the June 24 event starts at 11 am. This was followed by screenshots and clips of a leaked build appearing on The Verge.

As spotted by Fossbytes, Microsoft Japan has fought back by issuing an official Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) complaint to Google that singles out Indian tech site Beebom for distributing the Windows 11 ISO.

The complaint, indexed by the Lumen project, states: "Beebom.com's article is distributing Windows 11 ISO (copyrighted to Microsoft). Please remove their article from the search. It is a leaked copy of the unreleased Windows 11."

Not everyone was convinced these Windows 11 leaks were real, and some thought Microsoft itself leaked the build to generate more publicity and hype, but the DMCA takedown request appears to prove otherwise. It also erases any doubt that the next Windows will be called Windows 11.

The Windows 11 ISO can be found at several other sources, including torrent sites, so the DMCA takedowns are unlikely to have much effect.

From what we've seen in the Windows 11 leaks, it doesn't offer significant changes compared to Windows 10 in the same way previous versions of Windows differed from their predecessors, but maybe Microsoft has some surprises in store. We'll find out for certain on June 24.

Permalink to story.

That's certainly more than a bit heavy handed: I am sure they're not happy that people got ahead of them but my guess is that what they don't like is the fact that most people are fairly critical and correctly calling out Nadella about this not being any kind of super good version and being little more than one of their regular 6 month updates except with a name change.

Got the ISO, installed running other than a minor issue of windows remembering their custom size, runs like butter and pretty smooth.
I like the new start menu, though miss the live tiles. Windows shadow seems to have more depth, rounded corners, somewhat better font aliasing.
seems like good upgrade.
Now if only they added a native dock...

Update:
1. New animations are really nice. Especially alt+tab and switching windows.
2.the recovery from explorer.exe crash is almost instantaneous. I managed to replicate the crash multiple times.

Last edited:
I’ll just wait till my Windows 10 setup gets pushed Windows 11.

No rush.

True. Also at least by the time when we will have to move to W11 it will be more adjusted and user friendly. I am still looking forward to W11 conference but I am not expecting anything epic.

Can't say I'm surprised, especially if it's an old build with WIP stuff (the classic "not ready to show to public stuff").

Though, it's a bit late to try this move, pretty pointless with how many high profile tech sites have already featured it. Would probably be better to control the narrative with a more recent official beta build (considering they're probably announcing it this week)...

True. Also at least by the time when we will have to move to W11 it will be more adjusted and user friendly. I am still looking forward to W11 conference but I am not expecting anything epic.
Well actually, even though we kinda know it's probably about as big as a large incremental upgrade to 10 technically speaking, we still have no idea if Microsoft is planning to just offer a fully free upgrade.

I remember that they did for 7 and 8 to 10 but it wasn't free for good: there was a timeframe so that could present a problem if the transition is not problem free at first but there's a timer to try and get the upgrade for free before that time runs out.

Second one is also assuming this will be a perpetual license model: I don't think it's likely they'll go exclusively with a subscription model but they could, and that means you probably wouldn't get a free update without paying Microsoft a monthly fee. It's not much and probably will be rolled into their "Live365" subscription but the point is that we still kind of don't know what they'll do with this "new" OS

Rounded corners. That's literally the only good thing about Windows 11 so far - everything else is either unchanged or actually worse than Windows 10. Also, most people can't get it to install except as a virtual machine.

I installed it in a VM.

Windows "11" patch notes:
-offcentered start button
End of patch notes.

It's just Windows 10 with a skin on top, you would think they would use this opportunity to fix their messy inconsistent design but instead they made it worse by adding another design language to an existing 963 of them.

-Centered Start menu, it's still not a MacOS, just botched Windows now
-Control Panel, Settings are not integrated into one
-Still spyware
-Still leading user into creating online account while hiding other options
-Still will have messy updates
-Still has preinstalled ad-ridden bloatware

Most of this are not a big deal but why is this not just an update then? Hopefully they change things up a bit before official release.

Don't know what all the fuss is about. Windows 11 will be free anyway.

And on the other hand, humans are rash and blind to jump in and install an unreleased OS. Stupidity rules.

Dear Microsoft,

Why do you bother? It's out there, you can't stop it. So just run with it and enjoy the good press you're getting. Don't sully those good vibes by being your typical pathetic selves...

I get that people want to try it out themselves. I've seen enough garbage from the leaks I'll wait until I don't have a choice and hopefully by then they will remember Window 8 and how horrible people took to that change. I mean it was literally so bad they skipped 9.

I mean it was literally so bad they skipped 9.
That's not why they skipped "9". They skipped it because of programmatical Windows version number enumeration problems. Software(even modern releases) looks for "Windows 9x" to establish compatibility and there was no easy way to differentiate "Windows 9" from "Windows 9x". So they skipped it.

This will totally prevent Win 11 bootlegs from reaching even one end user. 🙄 Seriously, why bother MS? Just get it rolled out.

Yet another reason I still do not use windows..or mac os for that Matter...one would think people would be using the tons of free distros out in the world by now...alas people still have yet to free the minds they were born with...such a shame....

That's not why they skipped "9". They skipped it because of programmatical Windows version number enumeration problems. Software(even modern releases) looks for "Windows 9x" to establish compatibility and there was no easy way to differentiate "Windows 9" from "Windows 9x". So they skipped it.
Windows 8 was so disliked it was a common joke at the time. Windows 11 looks like it may be a runner up.

Windows 8 was so disliked it was a common joke at the time. Windows 11 looks like it may be a runner up.
No it doesn't. I've been playing with it and it looks like a step up from Windows 10, assuming they don't screw it up.

Thanks for your opinion, I just have a difference in opinion.
That's fair. You would hard-pressed to find someone who loathes Windows 8/8.1 more than me. So when I say that 11 is actually shaping up nicely and can in no way be compared to the complete steaming crap that was 8/8.1, you can take some meaningful context.

That's fair. You would hard-pressed to find someone who loathes Windows 8/8.1 more than me. So when I say that 11 is actually shaping up nicely and can in no way be compared to the complete steaming crap that was 8/8.1, you can take some meaningful context.
I only brought up Windows 8 as a joke. Because many others hated it. I generally upgraded because of better adaptability with hardware. I used it and wasn't too upset about it. I loved Windows 10, it's like everything Windows 8 wished it was, not everything was ironed out but, a few small things here and there but that is to be expected with any OS, heck just an update can mess something up. Windows 11 just doesn't seem to have purpose other than a makeover, and the makeover is horrible, in my opinion. I will try it out on some test PCs and see if it is salvageable. Nothing is being done with Windows 11 that couldn't be done with a feature update or KB update, to me not enough to justify an OS upgrade. These leaks really haven't made me any more interested. I'll be watching the announcement on June 24th to see how they try to push it. I'm not that optimistic about it at the moment.

I loved Windows 10
Not with you on that one. Windows 7 is my favorite OS, by FAR. XP follows that. Windows 10 doesn't even rank in my top 20.
it's like everything Windows 8 wished it was
Kinda like 7 was to Vista. LOL!
Windows 11 just doesn't seem to have purpose other than a makeover
The more I dig into it, the more it seems like Microsoft is trying to establish a platform "symmetry" that it has not achieved since XP. They've got a way to go yet. But this is just my observation based on using the 11alpha.
These leaks really haven't made me any more interested.
Keep in mind, this is an alpha build. There's a lot of work and refinement left to be done.
I'm not that optimistic about it at the moment.
I'm somewhat optimistic. Just hope they don't screw it up by trying to impose more control through the OS over OUR PC's.

Last edited:
Back