Microsoft tells people trying to download 'so 2008' Chrome that Edge is better

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Microsoft has been more aggressive than usual in its efforts to push people onto Edge, and now it's taking things a step further by using popups that throw shade at its browser rival whenever someone visits the Chrome download page.

Neowin reports that when someone attempts to download Chrome from within Edge, they’re met with several popups extolling the virtues of Microsoft’s browser over Google’s. “Microsoft Edge runs on the same technology as Chrome, with the added trust of Microsoft,” reads one.

Another popup states, “That browser is so 2008! Do you know what’s new? Microsoft Edge,” which has a bit of a ‘How do you do, fellow kids’ feel to it. “‘I hate saving money,’ said no one ever. Microsoft Edge is the best browser for online shopping,” reads another.

Not everyone is seeing these messages—this writer didn’t—but there are plenty of reports of them being encountered by Windows 11 and Windows 10 users. They’re native to Microsoft's browser, unlike similar messages Google shows within web pages that try to encourage Edge users to switch to Chrome.

News of the popups comes just after Microsoft integrated a buy now, pay later app into Edge, which prompted the kind of response from users one would expect. The Redmond company recently faced criticism over making the switch from Edge to another browser more difficult in Windows 11. There was also the tool that redirected Edge links in Windows 11 that Microsoft blocked.

Google isn’t a stranger to using these sorts of tactics, either. In addition to the aforementioned ‘Google recommends using Chrome’ prompts, last year it showed a message that read “Google recommends switching to Chrome to use extensions securely” whenever Edge users visited the Chrome Web Store, though it was quickly removed.

Permalink to story.

I think its just they don't think they can get in front of people. Edge itself is actually very good and realistically I use both edge a chrome and don't find one better than the other (although edge seems a lot better on power management and RAM management)

However when people get used to something they really don't like change. Also most normal users could not tell you the difference between IE, Edge and Edge Chromium logo so that doesn't help.

Edge does this when you try to download Firefox as well. The bottom line is that if you're security-conscious you're not going to use anything from Google or Microsoft if you can help it. Both have sold out to literally everyone including both US and foreign intelligence agencies.

1. Well x86 is so 1980ish... And saying Chrome is from 2008 is like a testment (sorry for bad engrish, no time to google for it) to Microsoft complete lack of competence to make a great browser even if it had 13 f*ing years to build one...

2. "Microsoft trust" ....? Sure MS trusts it's own browser... but I can't trust it... And I already sold my metadata all to Google, and I like to be monogamic with my stalker relations so... Sorry Mic, friendzone for now.

I have a new laptop coming and I doubt I'll see those 'snake oil salesman' statements because...
I'll get Chrome and more from: ninite.com :)

1. Well x86 is so 1980ish... And saying Chrome is from 2008 is like a testment (sorry for bad engrish, no time to google for it) to Microsoft complete lack of competence to make a great browser even if it had 13 f*ing years to build one...

2. "Microsoft trust" ....? Sure MS trusts it's own browser... but I can't trust it... And I already sold my metadata all to Google, and I like to be monogamic with my stalker relations so... Sorry Mic, friendzone for now.
I am monogamic too 😂

It is indeed aggravating that Microsoft makes it annoying to switch your default browser. But what can you do? Microsoft will do what they want with their product. I am curious as to what monetization they get out of people using Edge instead of another, alternative web browser.

But what can you do? Microsoft will do what they want with their product. I am curious as to what monetization they get out of people using Edge instead of another, alternative web browser.
I wouldn't give any financial motivation on the part of M$ a second thought. It's seems to fit in more with their tyrannical pursuit of an absolute monopoly which concerns me more.

The only thing this is stopping me from downloading is Windows 11

All my computers are set to only upgrade as far as Win 10 21H2 either in the Group Policy Editor (Pro) or a Registry entry (Home)

It is indeed aggravating that Microsoft makes it annoying to switch your default browser. But what can you do? Microsoft will do what they want with their product. I am curious as to what monetization they get out of people using Edge instead of another, alternative web browser.
It's easier to spy on your usage habits ..... Like they don't already have enough of that BS built into Windows already

Anytime I Install windows for anyone including myself I make sure I remove all traces of internet explorer and edge or whatever garbage they keep forcing down peoples throats which is already against the law. they have been sued and lost so many times over for anti-competitive practices.

It's bad enough it comes wrapped up in the OS and every update wants to reinstall it if you remove it but this is just beyond pathetic from MS and just another reason why I use Vivaldi Ef MS and Chrome they both suck dog b@ll$

The only thing this is stopping me from downloading is Windows 11

All my computers are set to only upgrade as far as Win 10 21H2 either in the Group Policy Editor (Pro) or a Registry entry (Home)
My computer is set that way as well. No TPM insures it.

I HATE M$ they just push their own products, most of which are inferior but make M$ much money.

I'm not a big fan of Chrome, it seems a bit clunky and edge is OK I suppose. Myself, I use Firefox on my m1 MacBook and opera on my Windows desktop.

I'm not a big fan of Chrome, it seems a bit clunky and edge is OK I suppose. Myself, I use Firefox on my m1 MacBook and opera on my Windows desktop.
Edge is chrome literally as in they now use chrome code with ms added bloatware.

Back