Microsoft: the dream is to sell 100 million Windows phones per year

Emil

Staff

This week at Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference, Kevin Turner, Microsoft's COO, announced during his keynote that the company hopes to sell up to 100 million Windows Phone devices annually. "We have dreams and aspirations that we can get to 100 million units per year with that single deal," he said.

The software giant plans to mainly lean on Nokia, which agreed to switch to Windows Phone as its primary platform. Nokia's first Windows phone is codenamed Sea Ray. At the conference, Microsoft also showed off four unannounced Windows phones from Acer, ZTE, Fujitsu, and Samsung.

Windows Phone users should keep their eyes peeled for Windows Phone 7.5 (codenamed Mango), which is expected to begin rolling out this fall. Check out our preview of the update from last month.

There is talk that Microsoft is already working on the next Windows Phone updates, codenamed Tango and Apollo. Last year, we heard of that the second major update to Windows Phone will be Apollo, due toward the end of 2012. At some point Microsoft will have to release Windows Phone 8. One of these updates could indeed be Windows Phone 8, or an update to Windows Phone 8.

It's generally accepted that Windows Phone is not selling well. AT&T Mobility CEO believes things will start to pick up with codename Mango and as the Windows Phone Marketplace gains more apps. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop meanwhile argues that Windows Phone scores better than Android and iPhone with consumers, but OEMs are doing their best work for Android. He believes that once Nokia starts doing its best work for Windows Phone, the platform will take off.

Permalink to story.

If Microsoft can get the price of WP7 phones down to the level of mid-range phones or even a bit lower, that would greatly enchance their chances of wider market adoption of WP7 devices.

I would like a Windows phone but they aren't there yet. My next phone will be the Iphone 5 or the Galaxy II. After two years Microsoft might be a challenger.

That's a sad goal. They say it as if it was never gonna happen. Truth is, all of those who've tried WP7 know it's a pretty good OS. All it needs is better extensibility; developers need to have more control over the OS. To me WP7 is as open and as close as both iOS and Android. It has that right balance, they just need to hurry up with the updates; one update a year is not enough... maybe, just maybe if they accelerate their update schedule, then 100 million a year might not be as far fetched as it sounds. After all, Nokia does have a big chunk of the market in both Asia and Europe.

i've already set my mind to get a WP7 soon. the problem is the mango (7.5) update, i still haven't decide if i should get one now (and update it later) or wait till it's released.

Can't wait till Mango is released so I can update my HTC HD7. I bought my Windows phone when my 3G iphone screen smashed for the 3rd time (minimum contact, just broke) and it was already performing stupidly slow on iOS4.1. I didn't want a Google phone.

Nokia are going to sell alot of phones. It is a good phone. For business it does alot of things right and the fact mine is more like a mini tablet with the massive screen gets it noticed around the office. Its also got a really good browser currently (for a smartphone) and this should improve with Mango.

It really isn't a bad platform. Once they get some more sales (and carrier sales reps start giving it equal billing instead of acting like apple/android fanboys) people will see it isn't a bad phone - its actually pretty good and getting better. Remember all those Nokia phones will be shipping with mango with all the bit and pieces people want - internet explorer 9, ability to create custom ringtones etc etc.

I also got mine for free with a £30 contract from O2 that still gave me loads of minutes so I have never had to worry about the cost of the handset apart from its obviously included in my payments. But nothing up front. Makes a big difference.

@yukka
yep it ain't a bad platform. Neither WinMobile was nor IE6 - yet they stagnated the development for several years just enough so that the users can become lusers and Mozilla + Android/Apple to step in. What is with you? Are you dense? How is it to have the world at your feet for several years yet to loose the grip to the first newcomer? Yep - I bet Android/Apple fanboys don't know what a delicious treat WP7 is. The fact that many risked somewhere in 2007 for a new type of handset instead of relying on the "not a bad platform" doesn't tell you anything. I just pray that WP7 don't reach the top again - so that we, the rest of the world, can suck it along with the MS sheeps again.
Those who fail to learn from the history are doomed to repeat it. Dream on baby.

"How is it to have the world at your feet for several years yet to loose the grip to the first newcomer? "

Hate to break it to you, but the only constant in this world is change. Android and IOS is hot NOW, but then again, so was RIM and Palm and Symbian back in the day. It's a dog eat dog world, and customers are finicky with phones and really have no problem switching brands or even platforms any time of day.

I have used all three platforms extensively (Work in IT mobile support), and I like IOS, then WM7, then Android in that order. Android is not exactly cutting edge innovation, especially since a lot of the phones are stuck with 2.21 by the carrier. Oh sure you can "root" the phone, but I feel the platform should be a lot more consistent across carriers, which it's not.

You talk about those who not learned from the past: Android is following what WM6 did, allowing carriers and hardware vendors too much control, and letting them install carrier specific crapware, having multiple kernel versions win ce 5.0/6/0/6.5? Like Android 2.0., 2.21, 3.0? Ring a bell?

So please armchair analyst do enlighten us?

Guest said:
@yukka
yep it ain't a bad platform. Neither WinMobile was nor IE6 - yet they stagnated the development for several years just enough so that the users can become lusers and Mozilla + Android/Apple to step in. What is with you? Are you dense? How is it to have the world at your feet for several years yet to loose the grip to the first newcomer? Yep - I bet Android/Apple fanboys don't know what a delicious treat WP7 is. The fact that many risked somewhere in 2007 for a new type of handset instead of relying on the "not a bad platform" doesn't tell you anything. I just pray that WP7 don't reach the top again - so that we, the rest of the world, can suck it along with the MS sheeps again.
Those who fail to learn from the history are doomed to repeat it. Dream on baby.

Troll. Probably under 16. Good advertisement for getting rid of guest accounts.

Android and iOS aren't all of sudden gong to stop developing so its going to be tough to hit the 100mil mark, even with the European market. Then again if any company has the resources to make it happen its MS

yorro said:
Funny how they termed it "dream" instead of "goal". LOL
Found that interesting myself, guess they know themselves that its not going to happen.

Guest said:
I would like a Windows phone but they aren't there yet. My next phone will be the Iphone 5 or the Galaxy II. After two years Microsoft might be a challenger.
Yeahs pretty much my sentiments as well, but i do like where win7 phones are headed.

Back