Microsoft to release Windows 10 on July 29th

Scorpus

Staff member

microsoft windows windows 10

Microsoft has finally revealed that Windows 10 will officially launch on July 29th, 2015, confirming a previous statement from AMD CEO Lisa Su that suggested the operating system will launch in late July.

The release date Microsoft is targeting leaves the development team just under two months to finalize the operating system. In its current state, as seen in the Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10030, the OS is still reasonably buggy, and some minor features Microsoft are hoping to include in the final version are yet to appear. Clearly the team still has a lot of work ahead of them to get the OS in a state that's ready for the public.

The good news is that many of the applications included with Windows 10 are universal applications, meaning they can be updated through the Windows Store at a later date. Microsoft plans on shipping new Windows 10 features through universal app updates after the OS is officially launched, allowing the team to solely work on fixing issues with the current set of features.

The launch of Windows 10 on July 29th also coincides with the launch of a number of new Windows products from a range of manufacturers. Lenovo's first Windows 10 tablet will go on sale in August, while a range of other products that have been recently announced will go on sale in early Q3.

Permalink to story.

I got a notification about win 10 free upgrade today. It asked me to register and after that it said that I will be a 3 gb download.

As usual with a new windows, the drivers are the biggest problem, but I've been on lucky side and had very few driver related bugs that affected normal operations.

As usual with a new windows, the drivers are the biggest problem, but I've been on lucky side and had very few driver related bugs that affected normal operations.
Me too, Nvidia was the only problem, and they recently made a W10 driver.

From empirical evidence, summer months are the least productive for developers. And given how much work is still ahead of them before August, the chances are lots of bugs will remain. Bad timing.

I dont care much, as long as they dont make a WIN 10.1 that wont accept my WIN 10 license key, so that I have to go through a painful update that takes close to 3 hours...

I got a notification about win 10 free upgrade today. It asked me to register and after that it said that I will be a 3 gb download.

same here. I'm making my tech site rounds to see if they just released win10 and what is going on, but I've come up empty so far. we've scooped the tech sites I guess.

I dont care much, as long as they dont make a WIN 10.1 that wont accept my WIN 10 license key, so that I have to go through a painful update that takes close to 3 hours...
Then go through the painful 3 hours once and then make an OS image backup that takes less than 15 minutes for recovery.

I've installed the lastest preview on a clean partition and I gotta say that I'm quite dissapointed by this UI. I know this isn't the final release but I bet that they won't remove these rectangles around some of the icons even though Windows 8 era is passed. Windows 10s start menu is not what I had in mind, it's way worse and they just don't want to give us 7s start menu because then they would have to admit that they were wrong. Font is one thing I would like to change in Windows but it hasn't and folders have too much stuff going around them, you can use an option from 3 different places which is not needed. I like the search thingy tho...without Cortana.

I've installed the lastest preview on a clean partition and I gotta say that I'm quite dissapointed by this UI. I know this isn't the final release but I bet that they won't remove these rectangles around some of the icons even though Windows 8 era is passed. Windows 10s start menu is not what I had in mind, it's way worse and they just don't want to give us 7s start menu because then they would have to admit that they were wrong. Font is one thing I would like to change in Windows but it hasn't and folders have too much stuff going around them, you can use an option from 3 different places which is not needed. I like the search thingy tho...without Cortana.

I actually like the new start menu. it gives the best of both worlds. we finally have the jump view list back and the items on both the right and left can be customized.
what you basically dislike is how it looks and not the functionality, right? that's the wrong reason to not use win 10.
after months of using win 10 now when I look at win 7 I just dislike how win 7 looks and feels.

I actually like the new start menu. it gives the best of both worlds. we finally have the jump view list back and the items on both the right and left can be customized.
what you basically dislike is how it looks and not the functionality, right? that's the wrong reason to not use win 10.
after months of using win 10 now when I look at win 7 I just dislike how win 7 looks and feels.
I prefered older start menu layout, not just the looks, in fact, I disliked W7s Aero completely. Other than that, yeah, I'm a bit annoyed by some elements of the UI, which is not a big deal, but looks are getting more and more important these days. I will probably still get Windows 10 when it's out.

And you have always had the option to turn it off. That is an invalid comparison to how we can't turn Aero on in Windows 10.
Aero is on by default and can't be turned off in either Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10. You still have Aero Peek, Aero Snap, desktop composition, windows previews on the taskbar, and GPU-accelerated animations for windows.
You mean the skeuomorphic glass effects and drop shadows. Not only it's a very good thing it was removed, it's an extremely poor and short-sighted way to criticize the newer OSes. The simple fact every relevant OS (Windows, Android, Chrome OS, OS X, iOS) is moving that difection already shows it isn't just a matter of style, and personal preferences are irrelevant in that regard.

You mean the skeuomorphic glass effects and drop shadows. Not only it's a very good thing it was removed, it's an extremely poor and short-sighted way to criticize the newer OSes.
What is shortsighted is MS thinking everyone wants multicolor square blocks for a UI. What is shortsighted is MS thinking people can't choose for themselves what they want.

What is shortsighted is MS thinking everyone wants multicolor square blocks for a UI. What is shortsighted is MS thinking people can't choose for themselves what they want.
That's a beautiful strawman argument you just made. Sorry to inform you, though, that there are no multicolor squares on the Windows 10 desktop. Some do come by default on the start menu, but it takes five second to unpin them and never having to see any of them again, if you want to. Sounds like "giving you the option" to me.
Also, what would really be short-sighted is Microsoft moving to a objectively worse user interface design to satisfy the personal tastes of a tiny monirity of vocal users. There was a time when skeuomorphism had purpose, but that time is long gone. Today it only serves as visual noise, and Microsoft (and Google, and Apple) are more than correct in removing it.

That's a beautiful strawman argument you just made.
If it was then so was yours. You presented yours, and I presented mine.
Sorry to inform you, though, that there are no multicolor squares on the Windows 10 desktop.
And I have news for you as well. The Start Menu that came back was not the Start Menu that was taken away. Square tiles and search aside nothing works the way it did. And that's if you are lucky enough to keep the Start Menu working.
Sounds like "giving you the option" to me.
BS! We both know that is limiting our options.
Also, what would really be short-sighted is Microsoft moving to a objectively worse user interface design to satisfy the personal tastes of a tiny monirity of vocal users.
That's actually what they are doing. You just can't see things for what they are.
There was a time when skeuomorphism had purpose, but that time is long gone. Today it only serves as visual noise, and Microsoft (and Google, and Apple) are more than correct in removing it.
Once upon a time people though black was the only color to paint a vehicle. <sarcasm>You are right, everyone having a different color car is all noise!</sarcasm> If I want something, who are you to tell me I can't have it in a digital world. Don't even think for a minute you are going to shut me up about voicing my opinion or desires about features I want kept. So you might as well stop now.

I will be upgrading to Windows 10 and moving forward with MS's latest and greatest. That doesn't mean I will blindly accept their UI as something I like, because that is simply not true.

That's actually what they are doing. You just can't see things for what they are.
As I mentioned in the other article, fundamental principles of visual and graphics design prove otherwise. If you want a different, skeomorphic interface that from a design standpoint is objectively worse, you can still have them by using third-party themes. But there's no reason whatsoever for Microsoft to provide one by default.
Don't even think for a minute you are going to shut me up about voicing my opinion or desires about features I want kept.
I have no intention to shut you up. You're free to voice your desires as you see fit. I'm simply informing you that the specific desires you are expressing here are based on personal taste, does not align with proper norms of visual design, are not shared by most of the users, and would be counter-productive for Microsoft to implement. So you'll probably not going to get them.

Hi - I too got that free Windows 10 dialogue. Is there going to be a Tech Spot suggestion on dealing with this free Windows 10?

Doug

And you have always had the option to turn it off. That is an invalid comparison to how we can't turn Aero on in Windows 10.
you can just use a third party theme. there is no reason to have the windows 7 theme inside by default, especially when most tech-savvy users tend to disable aero because it was a resource hog and slowed most PCs down. on laptops it was eating on your battery life a lot.

MS already brought back transparency in the UI, what more do you want? the start menu is also decently customisable and they also added "jump view" lists back. the UI also scales much better on high DPI.

In my opinion, the benefits outweigh the drawbacks by a huge margin. there is no reason to stick to windows 7 unless you have compatibility and driver problems.

Last edited:
Sorry to inform you, though, that there are no multicolor squares on the Windows 10 desktop.
That would be nice, but it isn't the case. Yes I can remove them all, but if I wanna pin some programs like I did in Windows 7, they will show up in those multicolor squares, and If I want to pin just 2 or 3 start menu will resize and it would look hideous with all that free space for just 2 or 3 squares.

The invitation came via an Icon in the Notifications Box. And it stayed there even after making the reservation. No way to remove it. Another "only Microsoft imposition and goof".

After looking at what Windows 10 is good for, I decided NOT to download it when offered. I already have a first class Start Menu Shell program. <Classicshellnet.com>. Equal of better than Windows XP, 7 etc.
Why is it that Microsoft is never as good as the 3rd Party Add-ons that are almost a requirement?
Exples: Clipmate by Thornsoft, Irfanview....

There might be a way to hide it via the Registry. There's a few ways to go about it, but I'll need a safe one that doesn't hurt the system or mess with it too much.

Back