Microsoft updates Windows 10 Technical Preview to build 9860

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has launched the first update to the Windows 10 Technical Preview, adding in several new features for Windows Insider participants to test. The update brings the operating system up to build 9860, and is delivered as usual through Windows Update.

One of the main new features added is a beta version of the Action Center. The feature that we first saw in Windows Phone has now made its way to Windows, collecting notifications in a simple list. In future versions of Windows 10, the functionality of the Action Center will be expanded to include ways to respond to notifications, among other things. Other features that have made the jump from Windows Phone include Data Sense, which monitors your data usage on metered networks and allows you to restrict internet access when a monthly cap is reached, and a self-explanatory Battery Saver. These features will be most useful to people with tablets and laptops running Windows 10.

Animations have also been updated throughout the OS, making it feel subtly different to the last build. New keyboard shortcuts have been added (Win + Shift + arrow keys for moving apps between monitors), and there have been some regressions: the UI for joining Wi-Fi networks has been downgraded as Microsoft works on revamping it.

If you are running the Windows 10 Technical Preview, head into Windows Update to grab the new build. This is the only way to update, as Microsoft has indicated that they won't be releasing an ISO version of build 9860.

Permalink to story.

Ahh yes, more windows phone features. That's what microsoft needs to add, more feature from another failed operating system will make this one so much better!. Different uses you say? We'll just call the poor use of screen space and disregard for M&K "feature".

I'm starting to think that microsoft somehow uses phones to tablets to program their OS, every step they take forward the go two back.

Think the release version of Windows 10 will be build 10,000 and they're somehow planning on using that in marketing?

Ahh yes, more windows phone features. That's what microsoft needs to add, more feature from another failed operating system will make this one so much better!. Different uses you say? We'll just call the poor use of screen space and disregard for M&K "feature".

I'm starting to think that microsoft somehow uses phones to tablets to program their OS, every step they take forward the go two back.

Have you actually installed and used the tech preview? There's not a whole lot to complain about. It's a fine OS.

windows 10 is actually really well done. a good upgrade from win 7. and having a notifications system has been one of the most requested features. how about you stop hating for no reason and start testing it.

Windows 10 is actually pretty solid. Definitely a worthy upgrade over 7. I do miss the windows performance score system though. It's still there, but toned down so it's command line only really :(

Although it didn't actually mean much I'd have liked a bit more visibility of it.

Windows 10 is actually pretty solid. Definitely a worthy upgrade over 7. I do miss the windows performance score system though. It's still there, but toned down so it's command line only really :(

Although it didn't actually mean much I'd have liked a bit more visibility of it.
There is a prog that emulates the windows experience http://win-experience-index.chris-pc.com/ which will probably work on w10 although I haven't tried it yet. Works fine on 8.1.

There is a prog that emulates the windows experience http://win-experience-index.chris-pc.com/ which will probably work on w10 although I haven't tried it yet. Works fine on 8.1.
Yeah you can pretty much modify Windows to become anything, I just don't understand why Microsoft introduced it as a sort of benchmark so you knew how your computer would run certain programs and then they just kind of retired it? No one ever complained about it and it's not like it was annoying, so why remove it graphically? Just find it odd.

Yeah you can pretty much modify Windows to become anything, I just don't understand why Microsoft introduced it as a sort of benchmark so you knew how your computer would run certain programs and then they just kind of retired it? No one ever complained about it and it's not like it was annoying, so why remove it graphically? Just find it odd.
Agree. Just tried the prog and it doesn't work however Classic shell works fine.

By using "phone features" (when done correctly) you can actually close the gap between windows and windows phone. Making it a lot easier for someone with a windows 10 laptop and a windows tablet to get a windows phone since the OS will show similar features.

Why do people with an iPhone tend to buy an iPad instead of a tablet? Because of similarity in features and because you can sync the devices. So why shouldn't Microsoft do the same?

Lol talking about backfiring :p

Ahh yes, more snotty comments about windows. That's what posts lack.

Doth mine eyes deceive me? A Windows article where the majority of posts are positive, save for that one chop at the beginning? Well, I haven't tested it myself, but the big one zero seems to be shaping up to be an excellent OS. Oh well, since I bought Windows 8, no biggie, it wasn't that bad of an OS anyway, certainly got my monies worth. Paid next to nothing for it anyway, and I've spent far more money on games and applications, so buying the OS to me is like buying a new hardware part for my PC, it cant function without either one, and since the regular upgrade cycle for hardware is generally around 3 to 5 years, I'll buy Windows 10 at the end of next year, making it about 3 years, more or less, since I bought Windows 8. The rest of my PC is due for a major upgrade anyway, so maybe I'll do it all at once.

Grrr all these constant UI changes make me grumpy, and I hate change.

Can someone please make a Custom UI that brings back the Win8 look, charms and start menu?

Can someone please make a Custom UI that brings back the Win8 look, charms and start menu?
I'm sure someone who's tested it can confirm, but I believe I read somewhere that Windows 10 has the option of using either the start menu, or the start screen. The charms bar I believe is gone for good though.

I'm sure someone who's tested it can confirm, but I believe I read somewhere that Windows 10 has the option of using either the start menu, or the start screen. The charms bar I believe is gone for good though.
Start screen, charms bar, its all still there. Use Windows key + C to bring up the charms bar. I haven't found out how to reactivate the function where the mouse pointer in the corner slides out the charms bar but I haven't really looked for it either. The start menu can be switched out by right clicking on your task bar and selecting properties. You'll find start menu options on one of the tabs, I just can't recall more specifically because I'm recalling from memory.

Start screen, charms bar, its all still there. Use Windows key + C to bring up the charms bar. I haven't found out how to reactivate the function where the mouse pointer in the corner slides out the charms bar but I haven't really looked for it either. The start menu can be switched out by right clicking on your task bar and selecting properties. You'll find start menu options on one of the tabs, I just can't recall more specifically because I'm recalling from memory.

Thanks for saying this. I probably should have known that shortcut was there.

Sounds like this is a good time for you to join the 15 other people who use Linux instead

Doth mine eyes deceive me? A Windows article where the majority of posts are positive, save for that one chop at the beginning? Well, I haven't tested it myself, but the big one zero seems to be shaping up to be an excellent OS. Oh well, since I bought Windows 8, no biggie, it wasn't that bad of an OS anyway, certainly got my monies worth. Paid next to nothing for it anyway, and I've spent far more money on games and applications, so buying the OS to me is like buying a new hardware part for my PC, it cant function without either one, and since the regular upgrade cycle for hardware is generally around 3 to 5 years, I'll buy Windows 10 at the end of next year, making it about 3 years, more or less, since I bought Windows 8. The rest of my PC is due for a major upgrade anyway, so maybe I'll do it all at once.

The reason there's only one negative comment is because everyone except fanboy zealots (all 12 of them) have given up on Microsoft. The company is clearly set on destroying itself and we're all tired of begging it not to.

Well The updated build has messed with the lettering on a lot of websites and in the UI of windows. I seem to be words seem to be missing a lot of letters now. Strange.

The reason there's only one negative comment is because everyone except fanboy zealots (all 12 of them) have given up on Microsoft. The company is clearly set on destroying itself and we're all tired of begging it not to.
So says the king of the Zealots himself...
Quite rich of you to say everyone that has a different opinion to you is a fanboy. Are you 12 years old that that's all you've got, and want to get into a, "my daddy can beat up your daddy" type of argument? Its fine, by all means, join the other OTHER zealots, as you call them, and run over to Linux, because clearly its the be all and end all of operating systems. Sarcasm aside, for all its faults, Windows including 8 and now 10, is still the easiest system to use. I'm sorry you cant get over the fact that Microsoft decided to remove one tiny aspect of Aero, I.e. faux glass effect, and tried to introduce a different approach to OS navigation. Damn, they should just release one OS and stick with it forever, never try new things. Heck, why did they ever make the jump to Windows 85 when 3.1 was such an epic OS? That aside, its a pity that there isn't an extensive 3rd party community to fill in the blanks now isn't it? Imagine for a moment if you could simply download an alternative option to the one Microsoft provides. Damn it Microsoft, how dare you create such an inflexible, unalterable operating system, cant you see what you are doing to poor, poor psycros of Techspot fame, and others of his inflexible ilk? Oh, the inhumanity of it all...

P.S. I hope you saw what I did there?!!

Have you actually installed and used the tech preview? There's not a whole lot to complain about. It's a fine OS.
I've tried it, it's pretty great. I just don't want microsoft to do what they did last time and remove or add unwanted feature that are very important. From the consumer preview to the official build they remove the start button so I wouldn't but it past microsoft to facepalm again.

Back