Microsoft will revive its PC peripheral business through design company Incase

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
In context: Microsoft was one of the first companies to bring affordable hardware wonders like the mouse to PC users in the 1980s. Hardware has changed, and competition has increased since then, making it hard for the Redmond giant to justify the resource expenditure against its more modern hardware offerings like its Surface line.

Despite being one of the biggest players in the software industry, Microsoft has sold PC peripherals for three decades. The company had planned to leave that market, but the "Microsoft" brand will ultimately remain on many accessories for years to come.

Microsoft had announced it was leaving the PC accessory market to focus exclusively its Surface line last year. However, they didn't indicate what they would do with its peripheral division.

A recent announcement from Incase indicates that the Microsoft brand will remain on the market from 2024 forward. The design-driven company, which already makes and markets computer bags and other accessories, entered a "strategic partnership" with Microsoft that will allow it to offer a line of products dubbed "Incase Designed by Microsoft."

The company will start selling a brand-new line of computer accessories, preserving Microsoft's 30-year legacy of "expertise and innovation" with Incase's focus on performance and style. Since Redmond is not completely spinning off its division, fans of traditional (or not-so-traditional) Microsoft designs for PC peripherals will still see new branded offerings coming later this year.

Incase revealed the first 23 "Designed by Microsoft" computer accessories on its website. The list includes various keyboard styles, wireless mice, headsets, audio docks, webcams, and more. Further details about prices and release dates are undisclosed, but here is what is confirmed for release:

• Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop (keyboard, mouse, number pad)
  • Sculpt Comfort Desktop (keyboard, mouse)
  • Wireless Comfort Desktop 5050 AES (keyboard, mouse)
  • Wireless Desktop 850 (keyboard, mouse)
  • Wireless Desktop 900 (keyboard, mouse)
  • Wired Desktop 600 (keyboard, mouse)
  • Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard
  • Ergonomic Keyboard
  • Wired Keyboard 600
  • Bluetooth Keyboard
  • Designer Compact Keyboard
  • Bluetooth Number Pad
  • Mobile Mouse 1850
  • Bluetooth Ergonomic Mouse
  • Bluetooth Mouse
  • Sculpt Ergonomic Mouse
  • Modern Mobile Mouse
  • Modern Wireless Headset
  • Modern USB Headset
  • Modern USB-C Headset
  • Modern USB-C Speaker
  • Audio Dock
  • Modern Webcam

Compared to products directly sold by Microsoft in the past few years, the only notable difference of the new peripheral line seems to be Incase's leaf-shaped logo printed on the plastic frame. The company wants to sell "high-quality" Microsoft accessories to creatives and professional teams, providing a better experience through "good design."

Permalink to story.

I still remember the display of a Surface tablet dislodged by the swelling battery.
Yeah, maybe M$ fixed it but why but M$ hardware when there are many other vendors which offer better value for the money.

M$ always had "good design". The problem was, in the shoddy execution. Going back to 2005 or so, you could guarantee a M$ wireless mouse would only work until either the first time you dropped it, or it decided to stop working.
The little green dongle which converted USB to PS-2, always failed. Those were the days :rolleyes: ).

Nowadays, I just go to Micro Center, buy their cheapo Keyboard & mouse combos, ($10.00 wired to $15.00 for wireless). and drop them on the floor to my heart's discontent, pick them up, and lo and behold, they still work like new.. At least 10 hard drops is well within their tolerance.

There's no installing driver bullsh!t like you get with M$ wireless. Just plug in the dongle, and away you go, clicking and typing to your heart's content.

I would love to see a refreshed Sidewinder line of gaming controllers and peripherals. I am still using a Force Feedback 2 joystick that I bought about 25 years ago, and I am scared for the day it no longer works.

Bring back the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite. The two I still have are getting worn and finding replacements is kind of expensive.

I bought a few of the now-discontinued MS Ergonomic Wired mice for work (instead of the usual cheap OEM desktop junk or expensive wireless/gaming ones) and they felt great...until the sensor/something degraded in ALL of them to the point of becoming e-waste in less than 2 years.

Tangentially, I'm surprised there are so few options for quality, wired, non-gaming mice. Not everyone wants a battery in their mouse they have to charge/replace, nor do they need gaming-specs and RGB for work. If the USB cable is flexible and the right material (e.g. Razer DAv2) it almost feels wireless, especially if you hang the wire up (e.g. tape/hook to bottom/back of monitor) so it doesn't coil/catch on the desk.

I admit I wouldn't mind a new version of Microsoft's keyboards from the 90s to early 2000s.
Needed 2 arms just to pick one up. :D Those things were indestructible.
You could spill a 16 oz drink or cup of coffee on them, see one fall to the floor because
someone was carrying it ON TOP of a box. Didn't phase them.
People put them in a dishwasher to clean if they got sticky. No problem!

Microsoft is actually better off not having their own hardware when they put little focus on it. My experience with Microsoft products were not great either. They don't last, and that is a serious problem. And these mice and keyboards are not cheap.

I'm still impressed with the design of Microsoft Starck mouse I bought in 2005. It was truly different at that time yet functional and ergonomic.

Still rocking a Sidewinder X6 today.

I've still got 2 of the MS Intellimouse Optical that I purchased nearly 12 years ago. One I still use as my daily mouse at work and the other is used with the daughter's laptop (which isn't used much these days).

Both mice work as they did when I got them and I'm surprised the one I use at work is still fully functional without any issues. This mouse has been in use almost daily for the past 10 years (minus weekends and holidays) and is still going. I had a Razer 2014 Naga last just about a week past the warranty when it completely failed and it saw less use in a week than my mouse at work sees in a week.

Years ago MS has had good quality products that lasted and still work to this day. They have had more recently released stuff that just outright sucks and I threw out after a year of use.

I'd like to see their older stuff make a comeback and be built with the quality the originals had.

Like others have said, my experience has been similar; crap. While the design is indeed good... like the Surface tablet and the Sculpt keyboard, they are wonderful designs but the hardware is not reliable. I've gone through 4 Sculpt keyboards in five years. I never had that issue with Logitech (though recently their quality has slipped). Various components in the Surface tablet would break, but you can't just open it up to replace them because they glued the damn things together to the point you destroyed the display panel to disassemble it. They need to make stuff last longer and easy to repair. They could improve their reputation.... here's the chance.

Back