Microsoft: Windows Phone 7 is 20% more efficient than rivals

Emil

Staff

Microsoft claims its Windows Phone 7 smartphones get things done in fewer steps than rival mobile operating systems. "Microsoft based its claim of greater efficiency -- that WP7 requires up to 20% fewer steps to perform common tasks -- on its own internal research comparing tasks among smartphone users," a Microsoft spokesperson told ComputerWorld.

This bold statement aligns with Microsoft's ad campaign in which it shows how current mobile phone users spend too much time with the user interface trying to find relevant information. The implication is that Microsoft's latest mobile OS is designed for "glance and go" unlike the current "stand and stare" phones. We can expect Microsoft to continue to push the idea that its OS is the most efficient one on the market.

In related news, Windows Phone 7 is selling out in Europe, or at least in the UK. This is reportedly because demand is high, while supply is low. In fact, Orange UK has been unable to satisfy all pre-orders and is thus giving £20 vouchers for HMV as a "goodwill gesture" to those who placed orders. "I was shocked when I heard the news," an Orange manager told Mobile Magazine. "We are the lead partner for Windows Phone 7. But I believe this is a manufacturer issue on a world-wide scale."

AMOLED screen shortages are to blame for at least one handset's low availability and HTC isn't manufacturing as many devices as it would like due to software issues. Windows Phone 7 officially launches in the US next week.

Permalink to story.

Microsoft also stated back in the day that XP wouldn't have any BSOD. They also stated Vista was fast! They've also stated that IE 8 was better than Chrome.

I think I'll wait for a 3rd party to run their own tests. It's very easy to manipulate statistics to show you're better than the rest.

No matter the hype, I need one in my hands. I doubt it would pull me away from the android... but we will see. I don't think it will have difficulty overcoming the iPhone. Microsoft always manages something worthwhile. I just hope there is no BSOD while I'm doing something on it, haha.

I don't know the OS seems like a novel approach....but maybe it's too novel. It would have to be a pretty earth shattering good OS to make millions of people change the way they normally work with their phones and actually feel good about it. iOS isn't THAT revolutionary, in typical apple fashion they grabbed hold of the normal, added some Zaz and made people feel comfortable with an incremental change. now they rake it in.
WinP7 just seems like it's trying to hard.

haha its like those ads that say "NOW 300% faster!!". Think about it; faster than WHAT?

It's easy to say "this new car is 300% faster... than a bicycle" and just drop the "bicycle" part. Sounds very impressive but its useless still.

I don't like how win7 is trying to emulate ios by making every handset identical and limiting how much it can be customized. I guess imitation is the most sincere form of flattery after all.

At least their hype is picking up attention. let see how the OS works, eh? I agree with Taea00, there's no reason to trust a manufacturer's statements about their own product, they would never downplay it.

MS has promised, no BSOD whatsoever on WP7. That's right. But they didn't say anything about the "TILES". Now it's going to be BTOD.

taea00 said:
Microsoft also stated back in the day that XP wouldn't have any BSOD. They also stated Vista was fast! They've also stated that IE 8 was better than Chrome.

I think I'll wait for a 3rd party to run their own tests. It's very easy to manipulate statistics to show you're better than the rest.

Right on. How 'bout it techspot? Can y'all do some reviews/comparisons?

One thing is for sure, every new smartphone and OS that comes out is subjected to such rigorous testing, from partisans of all sides, that within a short time we will have very accurate third party testing. You can never take away the subjective factors of what an individual user likes or does not like, but in terms of performance I would expect pretty definite data pretty soon.

everytime somebody is better than MS, MS comes with a totally absurd argument why they are in fact better. interesting thing is that they have now the 28th version of windows OS and it still sucks hard and there is still space for improvement. they are not even able to deliver it to their customers. another reason to grab for iphone or android phone

It has to be more efficient than my android phone (moto I1.) I love the phone (no other choice when on Nextel if you want an android phone) but the battery life is horrendous. Hopefully someone will make a different back cover so you can put in an extended capacity battery.

Windows Mobile has been that way long before there was an iOS. They're continuing a pattern that worked for them on non-phone PDAs, not emulating iOS.

Sounds like standard Microsoft marketing...
As long as it doesn't BSOD or RROD, I'll think about trying it. It's probably not going to take me away from Android though.

I can believe this. PC OS aside.. When they released WinMo 6.5 it was a vastly huge improvement on 6.1.. so I can imagine 7 being amazing to use

It will now be interesting to see how WP7 evolve from its current iteration especially when compared to Android.

Quote:"'Microsoft based its claim of greater efficiency -- that WP7 requires up to 20% fewer steps to perform common tasks'"

In other news: "Research analysts miraculously discover, over 98.356543462% of all statistics are made up on the internet. This is, in general, done on the spot as well. Also, the sky is blue."

Back