Microsoft's Xbox One finally outsells Sony's PlayStation 4

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Microsoft's Xbox One has finally outsold Sony's PlayStation 4, becoming the number one selling gaming console in both the US and the UK for the month of November, according to latest figures released by the NPD Group.

PS4 has been consistently topping the sales charts in the US since January, but it seems like the holiday season and most importantly the recent $50 price cut propelled sales of Microsoft's gaming console.

Confirming the news, Xbox's VP of marketing Mike Nichols told Gamespot,  "November set a new record for sales of Xbox One, and Xbox One was the best-selling console in the US and UK." Last month, Microsoft announced that the overall sales of Xbox One would shortly hit the 10 million mark, and Geekwire is now reporting that the company sold 1.2 million units in the US during November.

As for software, Activision's Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare topped the charts, followed by Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto 5, and Nintendo's new Super Smash Bros. The Japanese video game company said it has sold more than 710,000 copies of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U in the US since its launch, adding that AmiiBo sales were "approximately equal" to sales of the fighting game.

Overall, video game sales stood at $2.41 billion, down 11 percent year-on-year, while hardware sales stood at $1.10 billion, down 23 percent from $1.31 billion a year ago.

Permalink to story.

Hooray, we haven't had a decent Xbox vs PS discussion in a while. I'll be sure to check this thread a few times today. :)

Imagine if at launch a network connection wasn't needed, the kinect wasn't forcefully bundled and the console cost $350. Better late then never but IMHO this console generation will overall, go down as a dud.

It only took a price drop to do it. In some places you could get an Xbox One for as low as $329.

What I would like to know is the difference between Xbox One/PS4 sales.

I did notice that in the UK the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on Xbones were better and more available than those for the PS4. I wonder how much the outselling in November can be attributed to the sales only on these days.

Hooray, we haven't had a decent Xbox vs PS discussion in a while. I'll be sure to check this thread a few times today. :)

Predicted "discussion" arguments:

1. XBO was always doing better, the PS4 merely appeared to have stronger sales because it was available in more markets.

2. PS4 is still the better console, because hardware.

3. XBO has always been the better console, because XB Live.

4. The only thing that held back XBO was the Kinetic.

5. PS4 has better exclusive games/content.

6. Microsoft isn't always having their network hacked, therefore XBO is superior.

7. Only a fanboy would believe that.

8. Keep being a fanboy, fanboy.

9. I really don't care what any of you think.

10. Shut up, fanboy.

11. Heil PC! Heil 60FPS!

Massive price drops and bundles with free games apparently do something huh. There were a few great games coming out for the xbox so all in all its no wonder that it does a bit better now temporarily.

meh I haven't got the feeling on missing out on anything with my pc so... when's the PS5 coming?

Pfft, click-bait article. Should be renamed "Microsoft's Xbox One finally outsells Sony's Playstation 4 *in the month of November*.

Congrats Microsoft you outsold PS4 by discounting your console twice and then lumped on two free games to sweeten the deal (lol ACU) for the month. And it's not like you smashed the competition, you sold 200k more units then Sony did in November.

Lord Gaben prevails above all. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TkzejM7BXr8/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAFg/C425Js-fuF8/photo.jpg

Pfft, click-bait article. Should be renamed "Microsoft's Xbox One finally outsells Sony's Playstation 4 *in the month of November*.

Congrats Microsoft you outsold PS4 by discounting your console twice and then lumped on two free games to sweeten the deal (lol ACU) for the month. And it's not like you smashed the competition, you sold 200k more units then Sony did in November.

Lord Gaben prevails above all. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-TkzejM7BXr8/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAFg/C425Js-fuF8/photo.jpg

Why are you so butthurt over MS offering consumers great value?

I am kinda butthurt that Sony refused to lower themselves to sell even more units.

Sorry but IMO this is because most people who wanted a PS4 now have one. Bound to happen sooner or later.

I am kinda butthurt that Sony refused to lower themselves to sell even more units.

That says a lot about the projections MS and Sony are using to justify their pricing models.

Sorry but IMO this is because most people who wanted a PS4 now have one. Bound to happen sooner or later.

This was my immediate thought when this story made its rounds yesterday. Sony has already reached a solid level of market saturation. Any deep discounts or value bundles on the part of MS are going to win over most of the market, if for no other reason than most console seekers already owning the competition's box.

That says a lot about the projections MS and Sony are using to justify their pricing models.

This was my immediate thought when this story made its rounds yesterday. Sony has already reached a solid level of market saturation. Any deep discounts or value bundles on the part of MS are going to win over most of the market, if for no other reason than most console seekers already owning the competition's box.

I don't think its that time yet, just around the corner in 2015 there are going to be a lot of great games coming out, that will certainly boost sales. Uncharted, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy just to name a few.

I don't think its that time yet, just around the corner in 2015 there are going to be a lot of great games coming out, that will certainly boost sales. Uncharted, Bloodborne, Final Fantasy just to name a few.

Supposedly. There are a lot of big names dropping next year, but if 2014 has been any indication, there is growing skepticism over the true quality of the products. There were several big name titles launched this year that were praised by game/tech media but divided consumers across very clear lines (Farcry 4, AC:U*, DA:I, The Crew, Destiny, The Evil Within, Driveclub, Ryse, etc.). I doubt any of the 2015 games will be true system sellers unless they release to wide acclaim by consumers.

*AC:U was uniformly criticized by media and consumers for being a hot mess.

Butthurt? Where? I haven't owned a console since my Legend of Zelda Edition N64. Must of skimmed past the Lord Gaben bit.

The only people "butthurt" if you will are those holding MSFT stocks.

Butthurt? Where? I haven't owned a console since my Legend of Zelda Edition N64. Must of skimmed past the Lord Gaben bit.

The only people "butthurt" if you will are those holding MSFT stocks.

The phraseology of your original post had me thinking you were a Sony fan. I was trying to stoke the flames.

PS4 just outsold Xbox one for an entire year (including nov) WORLDWIDE. US and uk aren't the only people in the world. Xbox still lost.

Sony can't afford to lower the price unless you want the company to bleed more

A lot of people were skeptic about getting first gen XBones and wanting to see no RRODs and want at least %60 of the same things their 360 could do. Microsoft pretty much answered all of that with monthly updates and no RRODs.

Sony can't afford to lower the price unless you want the company to bleed more

According to what financial statements/projections? If you're going to claim Sony can't do this or that, at least provide a citation or two.

A lot of people were skeptic about getting first gen XBones and wanting to see no RRODs and want at least %60 of the same things their 360 could do. Microsoft pretty much answered all of that with monthly updates and no RRODs.

So, basically, you're saying MS released a product that did what it was advertised to do, without prematurely breaking. Alright. I think most people will agree with that. Now, what's your point?

Back