Misc. Tiny bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Anand recently launched his personal weblog with news that AMD will put some more emphasis on their marketing move "Athlon64 FX is for enthusiasts", they will try to compensate on the registered memory modules by selling the processors with an unlocked multiplier... not bad. Which makes me wonder, will Intel follow suit with EE P4s?

Microsoft's decision to close the free, unmoderated chatrooms of its MSN internet service has sparked strong reactions.

x-bit has posted pictures of ATI's upcoming Radeon 9800 Pro XT videocard (R360), it looks like the board will feature a larger cooler although still maintaining the one-slot design. That cooler on the picture looks a lot like the ones NVIDIA used for GeForce4 Titaniums, back in the day.

Intel today introduced the Mobile Intel Pentium 4 processor supporting Hyper-Threading (HT) Technology for notebook PCs.

Umm, I think you got that a bit backwards Julio, this is from Anands article:

Intel is toying with the idea of releasing an Extreme Edition version of every high-end Pentium 4 (e.g. Prescott 3.40GHz Extreme Edition), however nothing is set in stone yet. We have already passed along the information that an Extreme Edition processor would truly be worthy of the name if Intel would unlock the processors, allowing overclockers to freely push their processors. In order to combat remarking, we also passed along the suggestion that only lower multipliers be made available.

And apparently the Radeon 9800XT is based on the NV36 core and not the R360 core :p

Sorry man, just had to bust your chops on that one :grinthumb

Originally posted by cHr0nIc
And apparently the Radeon 9800XT is based on the NV36 core and not the R360 core :p

Ouch, heh... that one did hurt. I guess that happens when I'm falling asleep in front of my monitor but I still try to deliver some stories your way past 2am ;).

As for the story Per points out, I have re-read that and I believe I'm interpreting Anand words right, or not?

Sorry Julio, I did not read that "weblog" at first (I'm glad btw that Anand is bringing it back)

In the review he only mentions that the P4 EE edition MIGHT get an unlocked multiplier but in his weblog it is staded very clearly that AMD has already decided...

So now we will have to wait and see what Intel does...

You know, it's kinda funny, I remember reading an "industry insider" (read: gosip) article late last year that said that both Intel and AMD were going to release unlocked processors sometime this year. :) I guess the gosips get it right every now and again ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back