Missing Files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptim

A friend of mine had his computer get hit by lightning, I took out his hard drive and tried to get his personnel files off. When I looked on the drive, I could not find any of his files, pictures, music, etc. Everything was gone. Any explanation would most helpful.

This is the most likely result of a lighting strike! I am surprised there was anything left at all!
Check that the drive was not formatted NTFS and you are looking at it from a FAT based system.
Please tell us how you have connected the drive?

AlbertLionheart said:
This is the most likely result of a lighting strike! I am surprised there was anything left at all!
Check that the drive was not formatted NTFS and you are looking at it from a FAT based system.
Please tell us how you have connected the drive?

I could see everything (Windows System, Program files, etc) but his files that he created. I'm not sure if his drive was formatted FAT or NTFS, I'll check that when I get home from work. I had it connected via a external hard drive usb case.

If you could see the windows files, you have access to the drive OK but not to his accounts because these are protected in his user account.

This is a shot in the dark, but perhaps you could try software like "RecoverMyFiles". I used it once to find files that I had erased and emptied the recycle bin. Regained them without a problem.

This problem of accessing files crops up occasionally and I cannot remember how to deal with it. To get at the files you are in effect getting past windows security.
Anybody out there up to this?

Well, I tried to access the drive again, it wouldn't let me, it locked up and froze and shut down, plus it was real hot, I think its fried.

use a file recovery program. If anything CAN be recovered. Lightening damage can wipe data, destroy components, and demagnetize media.

ALWAYS use a surge protector AND and UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back