Mixing XP hard drives with Windows 7 hard drives

circusboy01

This is mostly just a hypothetical question. Unless I decide to do it some day.
I have an old E-Machine, I guess about 6 or 7 years old with XP It's not working now
Don't remember what was wrong with it. But it was about a $300.00 repair
I also have a Lenozo Less than a year old with Windows 7. Can I put the E-machines Hard Drive In my Lenovo, along with the Hard Drive it already has? I don't need it for extra Hard Drive space. My Lenovo Hard Drive is 1 TB. There is just a lot of music on the old Hard Drive I'd like to have again. I've got about 1000 song I downloaded from Kazaa ( I think that's how you spelled it.),. and I worked hard to get them. I was using Dial up ;-) Thinks in advance for any help
I just thought with a 1tb Hard Drive. Would they even bother making a slot for another Hard Drive?

Is your (presumably) Lenovo a laptop? If so, it is doubtful that it has 2 hard drive bays. Even if it did, isn't your e-machine a desktop? Desktop hard drives are 3.5" and thick, laptop/notebook hard drives are 2.5" and thin. So it wouldn't fit.

Another hurdle is that your e-machine hard drive is likely an IDE/PATA interface, so you'll end up paying more for a way to hook it up to a laptop. If its a SATA drive, I recommend buying a hard drive dock.

Actually, it probably is a desktop. I don't think you could get a 1TB notebook drive a year ago.

So, I guess the answer is yes. But if the old drive isn't SATA you'll probably have to buy a PCI IDE controller.

Is your (presumably) Lenovo a laptop? If so, it is doubtful that it has 2 hard drive bays. Even if it did, isn't your e-machine a desktop? Desktop hard drives are 3.5" and thick, laptop/notebook hard drives are 2.5" and thin. So it wouldn't fit.

Another hurdle is that your e-machine hard drive is likely an IDE/PATA interface, so you'll end up paying more for a way to hook it up to a laptop. If its a SATA drive, I recommend buying a hard drive dock.
My Lenovo is a desk top as is my e-machine.

Is the old drive the old big ribbon PATA/IDE interface or SATA. If its SATA it will hook right up no problem. If it is PATA you will have to buy a PCI IDE controller card or buy an old external enclosure that will accept PATA/IDE drives.

Is the old drive the old big ribbon PATA/IDE interface or SATA. If its SATA it will hook right up no problem. If it is PATA you will have to buy a PCI IDE controller card or buy an old external enclosure that will accept PATA/IDE drives.

If the old Harddrive, in the E-macxhine, is a Sata it will hook up. I'm guessing that means Sata is what I have in my Lenovo. If the Harddrive in the E-machine is a Pata and not a Sata. I should be able to tell just by comparing it to the one in the Lenovo. Right?
Thanks for your help. Both of you.

Yes. SATA is a power cable and a data cable that are both flat and 'solid'. IDE/PATA will have a power cable that is 4 individual wires ran to a plastic plug, and the data will likely be either a wide and flat 80 pin ribbon or it will be those same 80 pins (wide) scrunched down into some rubber tubing that is fairly thick, maybe .25-.5 inches.

Yes. SATA is a power cable and a data cable that are both flat and 'solid'. IDE/PATA will have a power cable that is 4 individual wires ran to a plastic plug, and the data will likely be either a wide and flat 80 pin ribbon or it will be those same 80 pins (wide) scrunched down into some rubber tubing that is fairly thick, maybe .25-.5 inches.

Thank you for all your great help. Now all I have to do is remember where I put my old E-Machine:D

Even though this matter appears to be resolved and circusboy01 is thankful and all, I just wanted to pop in real quick and help by pointing two things out, due to some possible earlier confusion!

I.D.E. Cable
idecable.jpg

SATA Cable
satacable.jpg

Now there shouldn't be any guess work here, now hopefully circusboy01 will know what he's playing with!

Thanks Zen. I didn't put the effort into finding links, I just tried to describe them, I'm glad you linked pics though because that should eliminate any confusion.

Thanks Zen. I didn't put the effort into finding links, I just tried to describe them, I'm glad you linked pics though because that should eliminate any confusion.

No problem buddy, glad to be of some assistance here! ;)

Even though this matter appears to be resolved and circusboy01 is thankful and all, I just wanted to pop in real quick and help by pointing two things out, due to some possible earlier confusion!

I.D.E. Cable
idecable.jpg

SATA Cable
satacable.jpg

Now there shouldn't be any guess work here, now hopefully circusboy01 will know what he's playing with!

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I have it figured out. But this will eliminate any guess work. Thanks again. ;-)

Back