Mobile Coffee Lake CPU scores appear on Geekbench

midian182

Staff member

Back in August last year, Intel announced its 8th generation Kaby Lake Refresh mobile CPUs. A month later, Coffee Lake desktop chips arrived. Now, it looks as if laptops featuring the latter processors are on their way after benchmarks appeared in the Geekbench database.

Last November, a list of eighth generation mobile chips based on Coffee Lake-H, rather than Kaby Lake-H, was leaked. One of these was the Intel Core i7-8750H, which is purported to be the chip in the Geekbench database.

Featuring six cores and twelve threads, the i7-8750H boasts some impressive figures. Twitter user momomo_us (via The Tech Report) notes that a pair of Quanta systems based on the CPU managed single-thread scores of 4700 and 5008, while their multi-threaded marks were 17,504 and 20,715. A HP system using the same chip scored 4980 in the single-thread test and 19,402 in the multi-thread benchmark.

For comparison, the previous-gen Kaby Lake Core i7-7700HQ has a single-threaded result of 4109 and scored 12,898 in the multi-threaded benchmark. There’s also the Kaby Lake Refresh i7-8550U, which boasts scores of 4211 and 12,977. The three Coffee Lake laptop CPUs beat these by around 20 percent in single-threaded performance and almost 50 percent in multi-threaded tests.

The Coffee Lake chip’s high score isn’t too surprising, given the two extra cores and four extra threads. Its clock speeds are also increased, with a base clock of 2.2 GHz and a boost clock of 4.09 GHz. It’s also got 9 MB of L3 Cache and a TDP of 45 W.

Intel is expected to launch several Coffee Lake laptop chips this year, including the first Core i9 CPU for laptops, the i9-8950HK.

Permalink to story.

These scores aren't surprising given the increased frequency. What they don't tell you is the sustained performance of the processor for any period of time. If we've seen desktop coffee lake throttle back so that it meets it's TDP target, we will definitely see mobile Coffee lake do the same.

Back