Mobile finally pays off for Facebook as it beats analysts' expectations

Shawn Knight

Staff member

facebook

Facebook on Wednesday posted second quarter results that beat out Wall Street’s expectations on revenue and earnings per share. For the three month period, the social network reported adjusted earnings of $0.19 per share on revenue of $1.81 billion, an increase of 53 percent over the same quarter last year.

Mobile has been the mantra CEO Mark Zuckerberg has lived by as of late and as the Harvard dropout predicted, it proved to be the company’s greatest asset. A full 41 percent of its hefty $1.6 billion advertising revenue haul came from mobile. That translates to $656 million, if you were wondering.

Advertising is the name of the game at Facebook as it accounted for 88 percent of the social network’s total revenue. That’s an increase of 61 percent over the year ago quarter. Wall Street anticipated earnings of $0.14 on revenue of $1.62 billion. The stock shot up nearly 17 percent in after hours trading following the earnings report.

Elsewhere, Facebook said the number of monthly active users increased by 21 percent compared to last year while daily active users rose by 27 percent during the quarter. In total, there are now 1.15 billion monthly active users, the company reports.

Zuckerberg said they have made good progress growing their community, deepening engagement and delivering strong financial results – especially on mobile. He further noted the work they have done to make mobile the best Facebook experience is showing good results and provides a solid foundation for the future.

Permalink to story.

The Facebook mobile app is a piece of crap that never stays up to date. It will notify me of stuff that was posted days ago even though I already logged in on my computer and saw it and more recent items won't even show up on the app.

Hope this drives the stock price above the $40 price which I paid for.

Hope this drives the stock price above the $40 price which I paid for.

^ They waited way too long before doing their IPO, so long indeed that the frenzy about FB had fizzled prior to it, thus anybody who bought FB shares would rather seem a Johnny Come Lately, at least in my book they would. I guess they just didn't really want to have any "outsider" benefit from their success, they wanted it all just for them.

Back