Mobile workstation or gamer workstation for CAD software?

Mobile workstation (intel xeon, nvidia quadro) or gamer workstation (general cpu and gpu) for autocad & revit?

I dont need a specific answer just for most cases what is preferred.

IMO, a gaming station would be far more expensive and not that much more productive - - the CAD system would not be designed to use more CPUs or GPU capability.

If you are only going to use AutoCAD and RevIT then I would save the moolah and go with an Ryzen 5/7 or CFL i5/i7 with a standard GPU. AutoCAD uses more CPU than GPU and uses DirectX and not OpenGL, which is why you can use AutoCAD on most 'normal' computers.

However, I've seen workstation towers and laptops age very well. So if you are going to hang on to it without replacing it soon, then you have that.

How much of detailed work are you doing with AutoCAD? Are you 3D modeling in large assemblies or just 2D work?

Edit: On my 3 design/engineering jobs, I've always had Xeon with Quadro. This is a must for SolidWorks and the like, but in the cases when AutoCAD is used, the computers were usually overkill for AutoCAD only tasks.

If you are only going to use AutoCAD and RevIT then I would save the moolah and go with an Ryzen 5/7 or CFL i5/i7 with a standard GPU. AutoCAD uses more CPU than GPU and uses DirectX and not OpenGL, which is why you can use AutoCAD on most 'normal' computers.

However, I've seen workstation towers and laptops age very well. So if you are going to hang on to it without replacing it soon, then you have that.

How much of detailed work are you doing with AutoCAD? Are you 3D modeling in large assemblies or just 2D work?

Edit: On my 3 design/engineering jobs, I've always had Xeon with Quadro. This is a must for SolidWorks and the like, but in the cases when AutoCAD is used, the computers were usually overkill for AutoCAD only tasks.

currently I'm using autocad for 2D work but next year im beginning to use revit and maybe other 3d apps.

currently I'm using autocad for 2D work but next year im beginning to use revit and maybe other 3d apps.
Hi edenbensal.

I don't know if this helps, but I use an Inspiron 15 5000 Gaming Laptop for modelling and rendering for work.
The software I use is Rhinoceros 3d.

cpu: i5-7300HQ
gpu: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (4gb edition)

Back