Spread the love! TechSpot Tech Gift Shortlist 2017

Mobo issue?

By skarmory2002
Feb 19, 2009
  1. Hi Guys and Gals!

So let me lay everything out on the line here for you all. I have a computer that does not post. It worked one morning before I went to work, and when I came home, the system was frozen and I could not get it to work, so I restarted it and thus we are at this issue.

I have tried everything I can think of for this problem and nothing is working. I have been doing everything I can, over a total of 6 months (you may be able to see why I'm rather frustrated now).

I have bench tested this board, cpu and ram. Fail
    I have removed ram and tested board an cpu. Fail
    Replaced Ram. Fail.
    Sent in processor for RMA. Received back, no issues from AMD. Fail.
    Sent in motherboard to ASUS, received a replacement. Fail.
    Replaced PSU, Fail
    Works with an AMD x2 5000+BE

The CPU is an AMD Athlon x4 Phenom 9850+ BE.
    The Ram is a 4GB Kit of G.Skill Pi Series.

Supposedly, all parts I have are good and working, but do not work together.
    I am at the point that I will never buy an ASUS board again, but do however want to get this working. It is not a CPU problem as that was tested at AMD. It is not a board issue, as that was replaced. It is not a RAM issue as that was replaced. It is not a PSU issue as that was replaced. The only thing that points a finger is that it works with a 5000+. I have upgraded BIOS to version 1502, but I cannot get it to work with the 9850+

Is there anybody out there that can help me fix this problem before I decide to start from scratch???

2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

please read my NO POST guide in the guides forum. Also ASUS boards are VERY ram particular and only support specific brands/ types. RTFM.

3. skarmory2002

skarmory2002 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 44

So after going through every no post guide I could find, I decided to RMA the board.
    I got a new board from ASUS, plunked the CPU in and guess what, still no post.

I tried to RMA it again, but I could not get them to talk to me.

So I decided to send my CPU in for testing. I got my CPU back. No issues.

Kinda upset right now as my computer isnt working, and nobody is willing to help me fix it.

I decided to buy a new motherboard. I got an MSI board and guess what, it works.

This is the last time I buy ASUS. Just so everyone has an update on this post. It is good and fixed :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.