MOBO out of plug in slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I put together my first computer for my friend about 2 months ago. I was doing it for free so I did all I could and he had some front USB, firewire, and extra sound ports on the case front. The mobo came with some stuff like that, and I plugged those ones in and stuck 'em in the back. When it came time to plug in all the features that came with the case, there was no more room! How can this problem be solved in the future?

He had a A7N8X Deluxe and was using a AXP 3000+

Can anyone help me out please I'm making another comp but this one is for cash $$$ so I've got to make sure they can work.

If you need more USB ports, there are two possible options. You can get a USB hub, or you can get an add a PCI USB card.

Originally posted by XtR-X
... When it came time to plug in all the features that came with the case, there was no more room! ...
Please be specific and clarify.

Ok, you know how cases nowadays come with USB, firewire, and extra sound ports on the front of the case, not at the rear? Those extra stuff for easy access instead of going all the way to the back of your computer. The extra stuff that comes with the case.

Here's an example:
11-125-201-08.JPG

THOSE THINGS. They come on the front of the case. But first, I make sure everything that came with the mobo is hooked up and then I go for the extra features that came with the case.

It turned out there was no extra room on the mobo for the wires for those ports to connect to the mobo.

How do I solve this problem in the future?

Guys, if there is anything that needs to be done, such as extra hardware to purchase, I must be notified before tommorrow at 6AM. I will be purchasing 2 sets of PC equipment to put together and I must know!

(Oh yeah, btw, I'm making another comp and am walking away with $400 profit :D)

If there are no USB headers on the board for extra ports then you can't connect these up. If you have extra headers for rear USB then you can connect those to the front ones instead of the rear. I don't think you will be able to have all the ports connected + the front ones of the case. Its a case (no pun intended) of either or, not both. Check your motherboards manual for the pinout of the USB headers..

I'm going to try to buy a PCI USB 2.0 card to be able to fit the front stuff.

I'm going to try to buy a PCI USB 2.0 card to be able to fit the front stuff.
Your example pic also shows one firewire connector in addition to the two usb connectors.

PS: I know, its only an example and may not be required for the case you're working on. Just checking. :)

The A7N8X comes with a a 4 port USB 2.0 for read and fits in a PCI spot but not in the spot, it then has wires than connect to the mobo. Spots taken there. As for firewire, it will be fine.

Yes it happened to be the example case he wanted (good guessing I did).

Btw, in the future, is there an alternative to purchasing a PCI card?

Btw, in the future, is there an alternative to purchasing a PCI card?
Buy a mobo with more headers of the type you want. They are available, though that will narrow your choice of mobo.

A USB PCI slot is more practical. It's really cheap too. I purchased a 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card for 10 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back