Modders unveil gameplay for upcoming Half-Life: Alyx campaign

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: For decades, Half-Life games have been known for their mods, many of which amounted to wholly original games and campaigns down the road. That tradition is set to endure in VR with the latest entry in Valve's first-person shooter series.

This week, two modders unveiled a trailer for their new unofficial campaign for Half-Life: Alyx, subtitled Levitation. They promise a four-to-five-hour story which is planned to arrive on Steam Workshop in the third quarter of 2022, free of charge for those who already own Half-Life: Alyx.

Levitation had already been revealed in a short teaser last November. The campaign will have players investigate a floating building in a place called Sector X. This week's trailer shown above confirms it will feature returning characters like Russell and G-Man.

The campaign is a collaboration between Source Filmmaker animator CoreyLaddo and level designer Shawn "FMPONE" Snelling. Snelling is better known for his custom Counter-Strike maps but has also worked on Natural Selection 2. CoreyLaddo specializes in animated clips featuring Half-Life characters, most prominently G-man.

While Half-Life: Alyx received positive reviews, the fact that it's a VR-only game has limited its appeal to a wider range of gamers, and with it the accessibility of mods like Levitation. Multiple mods are currently in development to make Alyx playable without a VR headset.

Permalink to story.

I wouldn't advise playing Alyx without a headset, you'd be missing out a lot.

An Oculus Quest is enough for a good experience.

I thought half life had disappeared (NO, I mean the OLD version..), please prove me wrong..

new version looks like it needs a lot of things, not possible if you are fairly low in income.... :(

I thought half life had disappeared (NO, I mean the OLD version..), please prove me wrong..

new version looks like it needs a lot of things, not possible if you are fairly low in income.... :(
You don't need a very beefy PC to play HL:Alyx. The recommended specs for 90FPS on an Index headset are the R5 3600 and 5700XT/RTX 2700 Super.

"Multiple mods are currently in development to make Alyx playable without a VR headset."

It's simple marketing. You have to produce a produce that the greatest majority can access and use. The VR ONLY option isn't reasonable because there are too many people out there that cannot and will not plunk down an extra $1,000 for the headset and since all headset's are not designed with a uniform set of standards, few people are going to buy multiple headsets.

I applaud that they will get to mods that are more universal but until they go back and make versions that don't need them their following will be severely limited.

You don't need a very beefy PC to play HL:Alyx. The recommended specs for 90FPS on an Index headset are the R5 3600 and 5700XT/RTX 2700 Super.
average price of a R5 3600 is £250 - that is a months wages for some... :(

I did mean the OLD version! NO extras, just standard simple laptop with Nvidia GeForce GT 730M and NO internet!!

average price of a R5 3600 is £250 - that is a months wages for some... :(

I did mean the OLD version! NO extras, just standard simple laptop with Nvidia GeForce GT 730M and NO internet!!
must be a stock issue in the UK. I see the 5600x close to £200 on amazon uk. :) I also see the 12100F at £99 which should be good too.

where I live the 3600 is at a more "reasonable" 160 euro and the 5600x is 200 euro.

Back