Monitor taking minutes to start. Is it dying? Fixable?

Mugsy

I use a nice old Asus VW266 27" LCD monitor that's at least 5 years old.

Recently, it suddenly started taking several minutes to finally detect a signal after turning on the computer.

When the computer is off, the power light on the monitor is orange. When I turn on my computer, it blinks blue until it detects a signal, at which point it goes solid blue. This takes about 3 minutes during which time the monitor is off (no logo, no backlight).

Once the monitor finally "warms up", it suddenly detects a signal and instantly turns on (no "fade in"). I connected it to on-board video to rule out my video card. Once it starts working, it's perfect. Runs fine for hours. No flicker, no fading, no outages.

So, is my monitor dying? What might be wrong and is there a way to fix it w/o spending a fortune? (it is very hard to find affordable 16:10 monitors nowadays, so I'm not anxious to replace it.)

Thx.

I think this is easy to fix ...
Don't worry
Just some tests must be done by a technician to know what exactly is happening

You may also try to unplug the monitor after it detects the signal and reconnect it to see what will happen ... This may make it more easy to determine what is wrong

I think this is easy to fix ...
Don't worry
Just some tests must be done by a technician to know what exactly is happening

You may also try to unplug the monitor after it detects the signal and reconnect it to see what will happen ... This may make it more easy to determine what is wrong

Great, I'll try that tomorrow morining and report back. Thx.

Okay. Started the computer this morning. Monitor took around 10 minutes for a picture to finally appear (no fade-in. Right to Windows login screen.)

Unplugged the DVI cable from the back of the computer and the monitor went black with a "Signal lost" message on screen. Plugged it back in, and image returned about two seconds later.

What's the diagnosis, Doc? :)

Addendum: Did a quick reboot and everything was normal. Monitor did not need to "warm up" again.

Last edited:
Sunday, my monitor took about 2-1/2 minutes to detect a signal.

Tuesday: 6:45
Wednesday: 8:15
Thursday: 9:30

I'm hoping this is fixable. Once the monitor is on, it works flawlessly. I'd hate to trash it and spend $650 on a replacement if I don't have to.

Anyone?

Sunday, my monitor took about 2-1/2 minutes to detect a signal.

Tuesday: 6:45
Wednesday: 8:15
Thursday: 9:30

I'm hoping this is fixable. Once the monitor is on, it works flawlessly. I'd hate to trash it and spend $650 on a replacement if I don't have to.

Anyone?
Just basing it off what you have said and how random it is it sounds to me like the monitor maybe just getting on in age and starting to go bad. When it takes along time to detect a signal and randomly has a wide range of start times it sounds to me like the monitor is having an issue with its board.

Try cleaning with a can of air including the connections to see if that helps but honestly it might require physical repair depending on whats wrong. I would not worry much though otherwise because repairs tend to be a little pricey especially since this is a 5 year old monitor.

Try cleaning with a can of air including the connections to see if that helps

I'll try that. It certainly seems like something is dying (rapidly) with it taking an extra 90 seconds to start every day.

It's just that once it comes up, it works flawlessly, making the thought of trashing it and spending hundreds on a replacement seem impulsive.

You have to replace the capacitors in the power regulator, especially the small ones, but preferably all of them.Beware the polarity and use good quality stuff.

You have to replace the capacitors in the power regulator, especially the small ones, but preferably all of them.Beware the polarity and use good quality stuff.

Thanks for the follow-up.

If I were good with a soldering iron, I might attempt such a repair, but since I'm not and the problem seems to be aging electronics not something simple like "blowing out the dust", I guess I'm going to have to knuckle down and buy a new monitor. (I started scouting 27" or larger 16:10 monitors. Amazing how rare they've become.)

This morning, the monitor failed to start after 75 minutes before I gave up and dug my old dying 20" out of the closet. :(

Thx.

pLGLz1

Hello guys I was also the victim of the same problem that my LG Flatron w 1941 s monitor was performing best for more than 10 years continuously and suddenly it started having some problem which it was used to take 2 to 3 minutes to start up in which no backlight or no continuous power on display occurred. only the mainpower button flickering with blue light which was continually on and off until the monitor gets on. initially it was used to take 2 to 3 minutes but after some days it is 22 about one and half hour to turn on the monitor successfully which was very weird for me then I enquire to the local shop as well as LG authorised showroom in both the cases this people forecasted me with the minimum 1000 rupees of cost to repair the monitor. then I decided to do it by myself.
most of the time there are two main reasons to having these problems are:
1) maybe your monitor motherboard gets dry that is the Silver path on the Silicon chip gets dry due to environmental issues which can be overcome bymaking it with hot gun and soldering the dried portion carefully.
2) it's quite common problem in which one of the capacitors get blown due tofluctuation in power supply or high voltage which result in inflation of capacitors buy base or by head one need tocarefully take it out with the help of soldering gun carefully and replace with the same new capacitors.

WARNING ##utmost care should be taken while performing all these operations manually or by your own.##

in my case I open the monitor carefully you will also get information about how to open the monitor of your make on YouTube easily then I observe that one of the capacitors was alone in my case which was of 470 mfd and 25 volts. I search in market specially on Electronics shop where televisions used to be repaired and got the same capacitor for 20 rupees which is was not the big deal and carefully solder it with proper position that is positive and negative science which one can observe while removing the capacitors, and Viola you have almost done with that close the whole case as it was before.
in my case it tookmy technical knowledge and only 20 rupees instead of minimum1000.
Now it's WORKING LIKE NEW...

HOPE THIS WILL HELPFUL TO MY ALL OTHER FRIENDS...
GD JAI GANESH

This is why sometimes its good to have a seperate power supply adapter rather than having it baked into the monitor itself . It also helps with the internaltionalisation of the monitor too. BTW WHat did you replace it with ?

I use a nice old Asus VW266 27" LCD monitor that's at least 5 years old.

Recently, it suddenly started taking several minutes to finally detect a signal after turning on the computer.

When the computer is off, the power light on the monitor is orange. When I turn on my computer, it blinks blue until it detects a signal, at which point it goes solid blue. This takes about 3 minutes during which time the monitor is off (no logo, no backlight).

Once the monitor finally "warms up", it suddenly detects a signal and instantly turns on (no "fade in"). I connected it to on-board video to rule out my video card. Once it starts working, it's perfect. Runs fine for hours. No flicker, no fading, no outages.

So, is my monitor dying? What might be wrong and is there a way to fix it w/o spending a fortune? (it is very hard to find affordable 16:10 monitors nowadays, so I'm not anxious to replace it.)

Thx.
Sounds like your capacitors are about to go, not that hard to replace if you confident soldering, but maybe a job for a technician.

BTW WHat did you replace it with ?

(Sorry I missed your question.)

I replaced it with a 30" "CrossOver" 30X-P (Korean brand using Apple-made LCDs) 2560x1600 (16:10) 2K monitor. The largest 16:10 resolution monitor one can get. Has been working great for 5 years now.

Hello guys I was also the victim of the same problem that my LG Flatron w 1941 s monitor was performing best for more than 10 years continuously and suddenly it started having some problem which it was used to take 2 to 3 minutes to start up in which no backlight or no continuous power on display occurred. only the mainpower button flickering with blue light which was continually on and off until the monitor gets on. initially it was used to take 2 to 3 minutes but after some days it is 22 about one and half hour to turn on the monitor successfully which was very weird for me then I enquire to the local shop as well as LG authorised showroom in both the cases this people forecasted me with the minimum 1000 rupees of cost to repair the monitor. then I decided to do it by myself.
1) maybe your monitor motherboard gets dry that is the Silver path on the Silicon chip gets dry due to environmental issues which can be overcome bymaking it with hot gun and soldering the dried portion carefully.
2) it's quite common problem in which one of the capacitors get blown due tofluctuation in power supply or high voltage which result in inflation of capacitors buy base or by head one need tocarefully take it out with the help of soldering gun carefully and replace with the same new capacitors.

WARNING ##utmost care should be taken while performing all these operations manually or by your own.##

in my case I open the monitor carefully you will also get information about how to open the monitor of your make on YouTube easily then I observe that one of the capacitors was alone in my case which was of 470 mfd and 25 volts. I search in market specially on Electronics shop where televisions used to be repaired and got the same capacitor for 20 rupees which is was not the big deal and carefully solder it with proper position that is positive and negative science which one can observe while removing the capacitors, and Viola you have almost done with that close the whole case as it was before.
in my case it tookmy technical knowledge and only 20 rupees instead of minimum1000.

GD JAI GANESH
Extremely helpful... thank you a lot. I've been facing this same problem throughout last 1 month with my 10 years old ACER V193HQV monitor. So, I'll follow the same path to repair it, but not myself, If it fails then I'll go for a new one.

GD JAI GANESH
Oh my God finally someone with a solution. I've been looking for help almost for a month now. I think I broke the World record for time that monitor needs to turn on. It needed more than 72 HOURS last time and I now can't turn off the monitor because I really can't wait for the monitor to turn on in another week.
I will try what you said before and hopefully, I will again work with two monitors.
(As my second monitor I have Acer RG240Y that works fine with IPS, 1ms, FHD )

EDIT: My main monitor that I mostly use is this Acer and this older LG Flatron W2234S monitor(maybe it have around 7-9 years) as a secondary.

Oh my God finally someone with a solution. I've been looking for help almost for a month now. I think I broke the World record for time that monitor needs to turn on. It needed more than 72 HOURS last time and I now can't turn off the monitor because I really can't wait for the monitor to turn on in another week.
I will try what you said before and hopefully, I will again work with two monitors.
(As my second monitor I have Acer RG240Y that works fine with IPS, 1ms, FHD )

EDIT: My main monitor that I mostly use is this Acer and this older LG Flatron W2234S monitor(maybe it have around 7-9 years) as a secondary.
Update:
Today I opened my monitor to see what is causing the problem. After few minutes figuring out how to open monitor I found out that four of capacitors are in malfunction. So I went to a local electronic shop to buy them. I replaced them and the monitor is like new. Thx for thanks inspiring me to look for a problem especially since I thought the prolem was bigger

Kudos on managing to fix it. Today's society would rather have you replace a perfectly fine product otherwise with a new one, to boost the income of companies. And with most electronics repairmen gone the way of the dinosaur, the only choice is DYI or bust.

Back