Monitor will not turn on when PC does...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armobro1918

Hey all...

Well, here is my problem. I have a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Hyper Threading, with an Intel D845PESV Motherboard, 1 GHz of RAM, also a Sony DRU-510A disk drive capable of performing any tasks, also a Creative Labs CD-ROM drive, also an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB, a floppy drive, a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, a Western Digital 250 GB hard drive, a sony SDM-S94 19 inch monitor, a Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop Elite, a WINTV PVR-USB 2 TV Tuner, a seven in one card reader, an HP all in one printer, and a 500 Watt power supply all bundled up in a very nice case.

MY PROBLEM: I recently changed m case from one to another, and It was my first time actually doing internal work. I hooked up everything pretty correctly, but when I tried to boot it up for the first time, the monitor did not recieve a signal, it went to sleep mode. I tried rewiring the cables directly to the Graphics Card and still did the same, although the Graphics Cards fan was operating. Maybe I haven't plugged something in? When the PC turns on, all the LED fan and case lights turn on, but it takes a very loooooong time for it to load, the red LED stays on for probably the whole time its on INCLUDING the Floppy drive light. I don't know if I've wired something wrong, or I haven't plugged in a cable. I also tried another graphics card, (ATI Radeon 9000 128 MB) and it still did the same thing. SO SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!! :mad:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

There are lots of reasons why this could happen.

Possible short. Did you use the standoffs which keep your mobo from touching the case? Also check that the backplate if there, is not shorting against the case.

Does your mobo require an extra four pin molex connector to power the cpu?

Does your graphics card require the same? Also did you engage the agp slot graphicscard lock if there is one?

Check that all the components are seated correctly, including all the cables.

If after checking all the above it`s still no go. I would suggest that you disconnect anything not required to make your pc boot. Just leaving the cpu/ram/hdd/graphicscard. If your system then boots, start adding one component at a time untill your system doesn`t boot, and that`s your culprit.

You may want to take a look at this guide on How to build a pc.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I`m saying that since you have just transfered all the components to a new case. It may be that there is a short circuit between your mobo(motherboard), and case.

That`s why I asked if you had used the standoffs(the small brass spacers that sit between your case and mobo to prevent the mobo from touching the case)

The backplate is a piece of metal that goes inbetween your mobo`s sockets and your case. These are not always present with all cases.

I then went on to say how you can test to see if this is the cause of your problem.

On some mobo`s as well as the large 20 or 24 pin molex connector that goes to your mobo from the psu, there is also a four pin molex connector that goes onto your mobo usually near the cpu. This powers the cpu.

This is the same for some graphicscards that require their own power connector, that is, a four pin molex connector that goes from your psu directly to the graphicscard.

I also thought it may be possible that you have connected something wrong. That`s why I said to check all connections and cables etc.

Finally, when I said to disconnect anything not required to make the pc boot, just leaving the cpu/ram/hdd/graphicscard. This is a fairly standard way of troubleshooting a newly built system when something doesn`t work.

I don`t know what else I can tell you really. If you are not that confident working inside your system, may I suggest that you take your system to a pc repair shop and have them look at it for you.

I hope this helps.

Regards and goodluck Howard :)

AHHHH ITS NOT WORKING WHAT DO I DO???!!!!!!!

OK, this is what is VERY specifically happening...

I put everything in place, I then hooked up the 20 pin wire from the power supply to the motherboard, then the 4 pin connector to the CPU from the power supply to the motherboard (The square shaped one), then the other type of 4 pin connector to the dvd-rom, then another from the same wire to the cd-rom, then a floppy drive to connector to the floppy drive all in one wire, then another wire with the 4 pin connectors from power supply to Graphics Card, then to hard drive, and then one extra, used it for casing fans and LED screen on case. is that right? Or it doesnt matter how u connect it?

Have you tried what Howard suggested?
Howard said:
If after checking all the above it`s still no go. I would suggest that you disconnect anything not required to make your pc boot. Just leaving the cpu/ram/hdd/graphicscard. If your system then boots, start adding one component at a time untill your system doesn`t boot, and that`s your culprit.

Well, I don't know what's going on so I'm going to take it to my relatives computer shop and see what i going on...

Armobro1918, im having the same exact problem here. Except i havent done anyware hardware mods at all. What did they say at the comp. shop?

I have a similar problems

I have a similar problem but it is intermitent,most of the times everything works fine but sometimes monitor will not turn on (no video) restarting system will resolve the problem but it reappears again sometimes.
Any suggestions.

Check cables

I have seen the problem or lights staying on constantly while the computer is running. you have to make sure that the ribbon cables going to all your drives are installed correctly on both ends. ribbon cables have one wire on the end that is a different color or has a dashed pattern on it. that wire goes to pin 1. you need to look on your drives for the numbers 1 or 32 or 31 or 40. if you see a 1 or 32, then the different color wire goes to that side of the connector, if you see a 31 or 40, then the colored wire goes to the opposite side. you also need to make sure that the ram is plugged all the way in. i have had a lot of problems messing with ram. you have to make 100% sure that you are using the right type of ram and also that again it is plugged in all the way. one last thing. look on your motherboard and see if you have a jumper that says clrcmos1 or something that might relate to "clear cmos". if you do, then take the factory jumper off of your hard drive and put it there. reboot and see if you get any menus or a display at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back