Monitor Woes - Please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I know I was clumsy, but while doing some "maintenance" I broke one of the pins off the HD15 video input connector. It is pin 15 which the Sony manual says is Data Clock (SCL) - whatever that means. Now normally I would just go out and replace it, but the folks at Sony saw fit to build the other end right into the monitor case and I am finding a hard job finding a replacement.

The good news is that everything seems to be working fine - or is it? I have noticed in a couple of PC games that they will freeze up occasionally and the video goes dark. Also a bit of flickering during log in.

So questions: 1. should I be concerned? 2. Are my game problems caused by this lack of pin? 3. Where the crap do I get a new cable?

Thanks

Chris

I dont know how to help you or where to lead you, but that pin was there for a reason ;) You should probably be conserned.

In a shop like Radio Shack you should be able to buy a new 15-pin plug for a $ or 2. Then cut the old (broken) plug off, leaving about 1 cm or 1/3" of cable on that plug.
With a small multimeter you can figure out which colour cable goes to what pin. Then solder them on and off you go.

You could also cut the cable off an old monitor (even from the dump) that still has a good plug. Again work out with the multimeter where each wire goes. Then connect the cable-ends. This is slightly easier I guess and has the added benefit of getting a longer monitor-cable if you want.

Or buy a new monitor ;)

If it were me, i'd try and get a new monitor out of Sony, you may aswell, if its still under warranty, just come up with a plausable reason why its b0rked and dont tell em you broke it off, and try and get a new monitor out of em :grinthumb

Originally posted by realblackstuff
In a shop like Radio Shack you should be able to buy a new 15-pin plug for a $ or 2. Then cut the old (broken) plug off, leaving about 1 cm or 1/3" of cable on that plug.
With a small multimeter you can figure out which colour cable goes to what pin. Then solder them on and off you go.

A good idea, but I'd do it a bit differently...

I'd cut open the monitor cable so I could see the individual cables, and then move one and one cable to the new 15-pin plug.

That way you won't have to bother with the multimeter or be afraid that you'll connect one wire in the wrong place...

Only problem with it is that you'll most likely have to reveal more of the cables than you'd have doing it your way. But then again, that's what gaffa tape is for :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back