More than 20 million copies of The Witcher 3 have been sold to date

Polycount

Staff

All of the hype for CD Projekt Red's next open-world RPG, Cyberpunk 2077, didn't come out of the blue. The studio has an excellent track record when it comes to developing mature, high-quality RPGs, and The Witcher 3 is the perfect example of that.

Due to CDPR's attention to detail across both the game's main story and side quests, The Witcher 3 has become immensely popular, and it still remains one of the best-selling games out there -- especially on PC.

Now, with The Witcher 3 posed to sell even more copies with its upcoming Switch port, CDPR has decided to release the title's sales figures so far.

Apparently, The Witcher series as a whole has sold over 40 million copies in total, but 20 million of those sales came from The Witcher 3 alone (across all platforms). When you compare those numbers to, say, GTA V's sales (which were around 100 million as of May 2018), they may seem quite small.

However, given the fact that The Witcher 3 was developed by a (prior to its release) relatively small Polish studio with only two games behind them (The Witcher 1 & 2) and only about 250 developers (by contrast, more than 1,000 people worked on GTA V), the title's success becomes all the more impressive.

It remains to be seen whether or not Cyberpunk 2077 will represent another huge leap in sales for CD Projekt Red, but given the studio's increasingly ambitious ideas, we wouldn't bet against them.

Permalink to story.

The only thing that stops me from playing it is I dont like games with monsters. They come to haunt me in my sleep. Another reason why I cant try metro exodus :"(

You forgot Activision. Have you seen Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4 micros recently...?
The only COD game I've played is Modern warfare two. I have no experience with any of the newer games but yeah I can see how that would be annoying to a fan of the series.

All I ask is for CDPR is to stay grounded, share the wealth fairly with their developers, and keep doing what they are doing.

Conditions on CDPR as developers who worked there is of a sweat shop. The studio also has a massive debt and the shareholders don't get a lot of the profit either. Cyberpunk 2077 will cement them as a AAA studio and publisher, but my gut tells me that they will be sold to EA or Ubisoft eventually. Maybe Warner Brothers who has a partership with them. Games today are no different from any big company in the tech industry. Profit comes first, followed by brand recognition, costumer satisfaction and the employee is the last thing they worry about.

All I ask is for CDPR is to stay grounded, share the wealth fairly with their developers, and keep doing what they are doing.

Conditions on CDPR as developers who worked there is of a sweat shop. The studio also has a massive debt and the shareholders don't get a lot of the profit either. Cyberpunk 2077 will cement them as a AAA studio and publisher, but my gut tells me that they will be sold to EA or Ubisoft eventually. Maybe Warner Brothers who has a partership with them. Games today are no different from any big company in the tech industry. Profit comes first, followed by brand recognition, costumer satisfaction and the employee is the last thing they worry about.

Sorry, but studio is in port good condition:
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/financial-summary-report/
All well in black, no large loans, seems fine to me.

I much preferred the witcher 2 and was sad that they reduced the difficulty for the 3rd game. It was still a good game I just didnt enjoy it as much as the previous.

Huh! Makes you think when you should trust information. Heard that Cyberpunk 2077 and the years developing Witcher 3 made CDPR a massive debt. That it took 2 years to make it even.

Given the financial sheets are from their website themselves, I think that info should be good.

I would be surprised if they sold the studio. Take the cash and start a new venture.

Given the financial sheets are from their website themselves, I think that info should be good.

I would be surprised if they sold the studio. Take the cash and start a new venture.

I meant myselft. I heard through a site that CDPR were in trouble because while Witcher 3 did profit it took too long. Witcher 3 was a succesful game, but it failed to reach CoD levels of success in its release year. The site pointed out that it went on sale quick and that the GoTY had all the paying the DLC also in disccount to cover the cost of making the second one which the site says should be a game in itself.
To me, business savy it made sense. Video games are expensive to make and while Polish salaries and overall cost is lower than US/Canada they are still there. It never occurred to me that the site was lying to devalue CDPR stocks. They did not show their sheets and I doubt they are lying as this is a crime in any capitalist country in the world.
Making a false analysis is only a crime if the one making it has an ulterior motive. I think many Publishers want CDPR staff and want a Mass Effect developed by them or any RPG for that matter.

As take the cash and start a new venture, at least now this is far for CDPR founders. They really want to make AAA games. It would not surprise me though. The founders of Bioware left because of the ME 3 controversy. Game developing requires passion, dedication and though skin. Fans can be really cruel.

CDPR can get much more out of producing a game due to development costs being much lower in the EU, e specially Eastern Europe, than US. So figures from a dev like Rockstar are inflated due to costs from overhead and the like.Plus you can take more risks when you start out small and then deliver a game to please players, not shareholders. Unfortunately, most games work the other day around. Making a AAA open-world game is extremely expensive, especially when adding tons of content and cutscenes, so hats off to non multinational studios that can accomplish it. I'm just concerned when the studio gets too well reknown it steers away from its original mission and core philosophy.

Back