'More than half' of the US' state attorneys general are reportedly teaming up for a Google...

Polycount

Staff

Regulators have been looking into tech giants in some capacity for years now. Numerous investigations have been opened up into their business practices, privacy policies, and even the several data breaches that they've been (directly or otherwise) responsible for over time.

However, many of these investigations are isolated, and relatively small in both scale and impact. Now, though, according to a report from The Washington Post, that's about to change in a significant way: on September 9, a group of state officials are expected to unveil a massive antitrust investigation into Google. The investigation is being helmed by "more than half" of the US' state attorneys general.

The Post calls this a "major escalation" in regulator efforts to probe Google, but that seems like a bit of an understatement. An investigation of this size is almost unprecedented in the modern tech industry, and it could bring about some interesting results; provided the attorneys general can find proof of antitrust violations. That part will be tricky, and it's likely that Google's team of highly-paid legal experts will have something to say about the situation.

For its part, Google has issued the following statement via spokesperson Jose Castaneda:

Google's services help people every day, create more choice for consumers, and support thousands of jobs and small businesses across the country. We continue to work constructively with regulators, including attorneys general, in answering questions about our business and the dynamic technology sector.

As previously stated, we'll have to wait until September 9 for further details about this investigation, such as participating states, and whether or not regulators will shift their focus to other tech giants (such as Amazon) in the future.

Image credit: Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

It would be difficult to claim antitrust against Apple as they're a minority player in almost every market where they compete. When it comes to profits they are frequently the market leader but that's not due to lack of competition as they're 'losing' there, that's due to superior marketing.

Amazon is becoming the majority player in sales but I'll be they can claim Walmart, Newegg, B&H, etc. and others as legit competition. And as stated in the piece about Google, all you need is an army of well paid lawyers to keep everyone off your financial back.

It would be difficult to claim antitrust against Apple as they're a minority player in almost every market where they compete. When it comes to profits they are frequently the market leader but that's not due to lack of competition as they're 'losing' there, that's due to superior marketing.
While those are good points, can we not say the same about Google?

Is this to protect advertisers and their advertising budget? Does Google really have a monopoly there?

As far as ordinary consumers go, looking at myself as an example, I don't remember ever giving Google a dime of my own money, plus I block their ads, and while I use their free services, I can't think of any of them I use that I couldn't also get from several other places if I so chose.

It will be interesting to see the specifics of this suit.

Why hasen't this happened with Amazon and Apple?

They will need to win their first cast before going after the other big fish and in this case it suggests they have a lot more evidence on Google, thus a greater chance of winning ....

Google, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft - all the big corps are owned by the same two investment firms: Blackrock and Vanguard. All of them, world-wide. These macro tech-companies are simply branding and monitoring agencies which happen to have a useful product for most people. Google is the NSA's baby, Apple, Facebook, and Microsoft are Langley's, and Amazon is pretty much run by all of them at the same time.

They won't buckle and these investment firms already own every politician and major attorney, too. These "cases" are just for show.

Google, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft - all the big corps are owned by the same two investment firms: Blackrock and Vanguard. All of them, world-wide. These macro tech-companies are simply branding and monitoring agencies which happen to have a useful product for most people. Google is the NSA's baby, Apple, Facebook, and Microsoft are Langley's, and Amazon is pretty much run by all of them at the same time.

They won't buckle and these investment firms already own every politician and major attorney, too. These "cases" are just for show.
Wow. Tin-hat much?

Back