Most Watchable Games for Non-Gamers

If anyone has been following my comments here, I've been very vocal about how empty new games are. Most are me-too sequels or remakes, which reflect on current status of lack of ingenuity in game designs.

In spite of that, I would vouch for some exceptions. For one, Detroit: Becoming Human.

I'm really impressed. The gameplay and background music are top notch! The graphics quality AND the facial expressions and gameplay... I'm really impressed. The only other game that has such detailed facial expressions is Rockstar's L.A. Noire.

Excellent.

And about this article. Trust me. No one wants to SEE you play all these.

Just play the games if you like them.

The only things people seem to enjoy "watching" are teens who watch Fortnite or other BS "streaming".

I always considered gaming an addition to the real life, in a way that it helps you experience situations and face things that you can't or will never do in real life. Simply wasting time shooting is not enough and many games do not provide anything beyond that.

If you take a look at user reviews for Detroit: Become Human for example and skipping some the technical glitches (some of which I also experienced on PC), you'll notice many people see this through too. This is a simulation where you as a gamer/observer shape out the fate of a few similar by origin yet completely different characters whose actions change each others lives too unknowingly. The best thing about it is that behind the Android mask it is all about human decisions that you take - rational, emotional, logical, psychological - that change the future of Detroit and the world as it is. When I initially finished it, I lost Marcus, Luther and Connor but saved Kara and the little girl. I then re-played some of the last chapters experiencing the opposite of what I've seen already for each character. It's like having a time machine getting to know yourself (through the characters), time and time again; and where necessary it is very fast-paced and reaction-demanding (sometimes ridiculously complicated playing with a keyboard and mouse)... Last but not least, I was simply fascinated how different the outcomes were, they are like parallel universes where if you have already played and seen things once cannot believe this is possible at all... I am yet to play some of the other TS suggestions.

So I do not share the view that gaming is just action-like and non-gamers are people who play or like anything that doesn't require 12 key presses in 1/275 seconds. This is how most games should be - great story line, decisions that matter and change the game as it develops, gorgeous next-level graphics, and last but not least - shooting must have a sense, connection and be part of all of the above altogether. If this means a little bit less action/superficiality at the expense of more comprehensive gamer's involvement, be it.

I’m not into streaming or stream myself but if I have to watch someone play the most important thing to me is that the soundtrack isn’t repetitive or annoying. A few years back a housemate of mine was trying to beat his speed run of Mario 3 whenever he had a chance and whilst he was an impressive player the music drove me crazy!

These are mostly deep, heavy titles. What is the other half is not into that, wants a little fun, or at least something that is not "that" dark? There must be something in the lighter genre that can catch and hold a viewer's attention.

On the other hand, in our case, the missus liked to watch Skyrim, and there was a time when she "demanded" me to play in the evening so she could fall asleep easier :) She also watched me playing Starcraft II back in the day, so much so that not much later she pushed me out of the chair and played the campaign herself (a couple of times, actually). There were more games to follow, and though she never became a "gamer" (nor am I, actully), she still likes playing and watching games, occassionally (these days, her favourite to watch was the Witcher III)

So, like the article suggests, just give it a go, you never know, and might be actually surprised :)

I watched what remained of edith, man of medan, and vanishing of Etan. First one was amazingly interesting. I even made a note to buy for PS4 when they got sale.
The other two were also very interesting. I dont play scary games myself. I only was able to find them because I asked a similar question the article is discussing.

As a gamer I am slightly interested in Detroit: Become Human, the rest look like a bore.

These are mostly deep, heavy titles. What is the other half is not into that, wants a little fun, or at least something that is not "that" dark? There must be something in the lighter genre that can catch and hold a viewer's attention.

On the other hand, in our case, the missus liked to watch Skyrim, and there was a time when she "demanded" me to play in the evening so she could fall asleep easier :) She also watched me playing Starcraft II back in the day, so much so that not much later she pushed me out of the chair and played the campaign herself (a couple of times, actually). There were more games to follow, and though she never became a "gamer" (nor am I, actully), she still likes playing and watching games, occassionally (these days, her favourite to watch was the Witcher III)

So, like the article suggests, just give it a go, you never know, and might be actually surprised :)

Your first part touches on a problem the missus and I always seem to have. She enjoys story based games, even the "walking sims" as people call them. However the majority of them deal with very heavy/sad topics. I'm still looking for the games that deal with fun/light hearted topics, but haven't found much.

Your first part touches on a problem the missus and I always seem to have. She enjoys story based games, even the "walking sims" as people call them. However the majority of them deal with very heavy/sad topics. I'm still looking for the games that deal with fun/light hearted topics, but haven't found much.

Hmm, seems like an untapped gaming option. Someone with talent needs to channel My Neighbor Totoro into a game.

Ha and I guess it you did the reverse article "the most non-watchable games" then Eve would be top of the list!

I'm sorry man, but anyone recommending watching Heavy Rain (besides a speedrun) means you''d better buy yourself a CASE OF coffee to keep you awake.

Spending over an hour wandering around a dark and rainy field looking for one more hard to spot clue before they will allow the story to advance shows the devs has no clue what makes for a good story gaming experience.

You could...I dunno, maybe design your game to require you to pick up a minimum number of clues, and the ones you find tailor the rest of the story (find all = "this murder gets a major break in the case" or "just enough clues to find hints about their next target")? but no Quantic Dream = you have to pass your invisible wall, with no real hints.

I'm, glad they made demos available for all their games, but after being disappointed with Heavy Rain, I was still hopeful for Fahrenhei (don't watch enough scary moves to have any ****ing clue what the exact script of this movie is supposed to be, BUT YOU HAVE TO GUESS AND FOLLOW IT TOO THE LETTER OR YOU RESTART BACK AT THE BEGINNING.) Beyond Two Souls was a lot more cohesive plot-wise over Fahrenheit, , but once again like Heavy Rain a game-play decision just made me throw my controller at the wall (the out-of-body controls are confusing, and even after an hour of trying fruitlessly I gave up).

So far, they are 0/3, so I'm not going to bother with Detroit.

Most console video games are made for fans of terrible horror movies, so they do the bare minimum for story, and just concentrate on that Monet Shot _As long as you make the cutscens pretty, a bunch of fools will buy your otherwise-lifeless game!

Last edited:
GTA V is quite humorous to watch, npc's and cops say weird and funny things and Lester is so pervy.
The missus sometimes spends 10 minutes with me, after bringing a nice cup of tea, wondering about other players clothing choices.

Try “Layers of Fear” for a trippy, visually impressive, and unexpected story that is fun to play and watch. A bit creepy too

I think this is a very good article and a very good selection of games and I think they would appeal to non-gamers watching an experienced player play. I assume one would play the game ahead, because no one really enjoys watching someone being stuck for a long time at some tedious puzzle. In that vein, I'd recommend Limbo and Inside. They are both very atmospheric, the story is compelling and invites participants to talk about it and even if parts are a bit tricky, you never have to restart from too far back.

Back