Motherboard and power supply concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

link590o

since my build keeps changing from day to day, i keep needing new advice and opinions on what to do with it. it changes partially due to my proposed budget, and partially because i find that i want to plan more for the future and include certain features.

my biggest concerns are as i suggested in my title.

my concern with my motherboard is that it's from asus.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131142

it was selected because of it's price and the features it offers. i need 2 ide/pata ports, a few SATA ports, at least 1 pci-e 16x, at least 1 pci, at least 4x 240pin pc2 6400 memory slots, and an LGA 775 slot.

but since this one is from ASUS and has lots of complaints, and ASUS is going downhill, i'm hesitant to buy this board. i'm not exactly going to have an awful lot of money to throw around for RMAing parts. i'd like something that's high quality, offers what i want, and doesn't go very much higher than 125 dollars.

i tried looking into a gigabyte board, but i can't find one that has 2 ide/pata slots for a good price, or that doesn't have so many problems.

the other concern is whether or not the psu i selected will power the system well enough. i've selected the Corsair CMPSU-450VX.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003

my concern is the amperages offered on the 12v rail. i'm not sure if it has enough, let alone how to calculate whether it has enough.

here are the specs i'm trying to run:

intel core 2 duo E6750 conroe
2 gigabytes G.Skill ddr2 800 memory
geforce 8800gt 512mb
dvd drive 8x speed
2x 40 gig hard drives. (the ones listed in my current specs. eventually i'll buy a new one that's sata)
3x 120mm fans and possibly up to 7x

is the corsair i've chosen good enough? or do i need to go with a higher end model? this part was again, selected for price, but also because i know it's a strong psu and good quality. if this one isn't enough, i'll move up to an antec neoHE or an antec earthwatts. but for now i'd like to see if this corsair will work.

Well not to sure on your PSU like I have said before, I don't know to much about those. But I have heard if it is of good quality then the watts don't have to be as high. As for the motherboard, again as I have stated in the past I have a Asus motherboard and have not had an issue with it at all. I bought it in june I think, so far no problems. So I would go with the Asus board since it has everything you need and want. I think when you get it then you will be surprised at how much you like it.

yeah i realized that the PSU isn't as much of an issue. if i have the cash, i'm going to upgrade it to the antecs i mentioned. if not, i'll buy what i can. maybe upgrade again later.

yeah that asus board was the nightmare. with rumors that they were going downhill and the lowered ratings and various angry reviews from people, i was afraid to go with it. but i'll give it a shot. maybe i'll be lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back