Motherboard compatibility

LiamD

I want to buy a new motherboard but the problem I'm having is I don't really know anything about the compatibility of things to buy one. I wanted to know if someone could tell me what I need to be compatible with the motherboard, then I say what I have and maybe if your the most helpful person ever you could give me advise on what motherboard and case to get that will get everything working.

thank you to anyone who is willing to help.

I'm certain we can help you find a compatible motherboard but first we need to know more about your computer. Could you let us know the make and model of the computer, including any build codes, or if it's custom built, the components you're already using please.

We'll then be able to advise you of what is suitable at your budget.

I guess he doesn't want to join the Secret Motherboard Selection Society, whose members know all there is to know about motherboard selection, and possibly many other useful things about computers, but divulge the esoteric knowledge only to those worthy or willing to listen.

LiamD,
Are you just looking to replace your motherboard alone? Is are you trying to base a new system build from it?

If you are just looking to upgrade your current mobo but keep your other components, then the first question is simple.. why? (I.e. is there something wrong with your current mobo?, or are you looking for a mobo with more features?).

If you are planning a new system build, then you don't really want to start with a mobo. You first want to decide what CPU platform you wish to use (I.e. Intel core iX based system, AMD APU based system, etc), and go from there.

Either way, we need more info from you before we can give any advice. :)

Sorry for late reply.
Just to start I don't know much about computers so I don't know what you mean by build codes, but my make and model is Dell 0TP406, I also not sure what you meant by CPU platform sorry for my lack of knowledge on computers, but my processor is a Intel core 2 quad Q6600 if that helps in any way.
I'm trying to upgrade my PC bit by bit so far I'v gotten a new power supply (corsair 600 watt CX600) and graphics card (Geforce GTX 560) I got the graphics card cheap and only had a 400 watt power supply so had upgrade and now I just want to improve the lot but not sure what I need.
If you could explain some terms would be great so if I need to ask any questions another time I wouldn't seem so much like a fool.
thank you

The Core 2 Quad will really bottleneck a card like the 560... and it is power hungry. I recommend changing the whole system or else that 560 isnt worth the money.

I'v already got the 560 I want to improve my motherboard and processor to be able to get the most out of my graphics card.

I would like to say £100-£150 but looking at some online I might need to make it £100-£200 but if you can think of one at my first price would be great.

$150-$300 (USD) (£100-£200) means you need to go AMD.
You need at least 250 USD for an AMD 4300 + 8GB of DDR3 + AM3+ Motherboard. And with a new CPU, you will probably also need to add a new HDD (SATA 6). It looks like you will need to go £200-£250 for the best configuration, or just find good deals.

I had a bit of a look and found that it is going to cost me about £264 + £70 for Windows 7 because I have been told that my windows is locked to the motherboard, so looking at a total of £334
Thanks to everyone who was willing to help.

Thanks you have been a big help but if you don't mind one more question, do u know what case I should get to fit the new stuff?
would be great.
thank you.

A great cheap case will be the Corsair 200r. 50 bucks after mail in rebate here in the US. It has good airflow, a nice paint job it is purely simple, and has good cable management. I am happy to help.

Thanks once again couldn't ask for better advice, and that tower does look nice to better than the junk I got now.
Also just to add I couldn't use that link because my PC only has a 32 bit windows vista sadly but thank you.

Thanks once again couldn't ask for better advice, and that tower does look nice to better than the junk I got now.
Also just to add I couldn't use that link because my PC only has a 32 bit windows vista sadly but thank you.
Ah that sucks man! Get the OEM version of Windows 7.

First , check your computer specification then decide according your supported motherboard.
check it.
Asus (Intel X79 Series) SABERTOOTH X79
Asus P8Z68 DELUXE
Asus Maximus IV GENE-Z

Back